Bullfroging

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by Joseph, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Joseph

Joseph Fawn

Jul 10, 2016
    Lexington ky
    I'm in Lexington and wondering if anyone knows a good place to do some bullfroging. I've done some in eastern ky but don' live there anymore.

2. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I live in Lex too but don’t know unless someone gives you permission to get on their farm pond. Probably just have to ask around. There’s plenty of creeks you can access but I understand that’s a lot more difficult.

3. Joseph

Joseph Fawn

Jul 10, 2016
    Lexington ky
    I know season opens in a few weeks. If I had a 4x4 I'd just go to Martin co.

4. bondhu

bondhu 10 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
  5. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    LOL. Plenty of good duck hunting there too!

Joseph and bondhu like this.
  6. EastKYHardwoodHunter

EastKYHardwoodHunter Fawn

Mar 4, 2018
    Beattyville
    Use to work at The Bull golf course and those ponds had some of th biggest frogs I ever seen. Don’t know about getting permission however

7. Joseph

Joseph Fawn

Jul 10, 2016
    Lexington ky
    Back in eastern ky we used to hunt the old strip mine ponds. I doubt Jacobson allows open fire. Will they book me if I go out and pull the trigger or try to gig a duck?

8. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I would be rooting for ya but fear you’d be taking a ride downtown in cuffs. They actually caught 62 female ducks from my neighborhood a few years back and took them to Jacobson Park.

9. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

I always liked to use a 22 short hollow point and carry a gig for the ones in deep water. I haven't been for years. I aim to go every year but I "never get around to it"
    One trip I will never forget. I took my daughter along with me. She was walking behind me, carrying the gig. I stopped and turned around to tell her something and she stuck the gig in my nose. 2 prongs were past the barbs. I jerked it out and could hear the cartilage cracking. I said some bad words that she had probably never heard (Very Painful) I had 2 holes in my big nose with pond slime hanging out of the holes. That was the end of the frog hunt that night. We went home. When I think back, it could have been worse. She could have gigged my eyeball.:mad:

Snareman2, BowOnly, Recurve77 and 3 others like this.
  10. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I've shot them a few times, but I tend to lose some when I do that. I just gig them. Can't wait. Another ritual for me and dad. Didn't go last year due to me having surgery. First time we've missed since I was 5-6 years old.

11. bondhu

bondhu 10 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Have always loved to go frog gigging. Past it along to my son and when he turned 16 I haven't been as much. But he as always keep me in frogs..... cleaned:) He's work as taken him out of state. So I have to get the 5 year old grand daughter started :).
    By the way 7-8 years ago I purchased the trap type head from Bass Pro. That dude is about 95-98 percent efficient. Even on the floaters. But its only for serious frog getters:D

12. Joseph

Joseph Fawn

Jul 10, 2016
    Lexington ky
    I'd think the slime would be worse than the pain, I'd be be home too enhailin some chemicals through my nose.

13. Joseph

Joseph Fawn

Jul 10, 2016
    Lexington ky
    I'm 37 but back when I was around 10 my father and his buddies were big time arhers and some of the guys was shooting them with the bow and I thought was the stupidest thing I'd ever seen. I was shooting with the rifle and I don't think we even had a gig. That trap is a good idea but it takes some fun out.

14. Mainbeam

Mainbeam 12 pointer

Jul 7, 2012
    There is no telling how many frogs Iv gigged and beer Iv drank and miles Iv walked chasing frogs. We use to fish and gig until Memorial Day and we would have the biggest party you’ve ever seen. The whole community would come to my farm and we’d crank up the dj and eat frogs and fish and just get WILD!!!! Got older now and we kinda got away from it. I would get tickled at our annual party. On one side you would have the younger cats drinking and dancing and on the other you would have the older people sittin in lawn chairs below a cloud of smoke that looked like fog ahahahah. gOOD TIMES!!!! Never a punch thrown or words exchanged just a field full of people having a large time.

Snareman2, Powerstro284, nock and 5 others like this.
  15. Luther's Feist

Luther's Feist 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2014
    Coeburn, Va
    Yep farm ponds is where it' at. These are some where i took my youngest daughter and a few of her friends out last summer

rps20180507_223612.jpg 1370832439_zpsfd96ba7d.jpg 1370832446_zps00a93781.jpeg rps20180507_223753_814.jpg