Bowfishing from road bridges.

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by huntingwildman, Apr 28, 2018.

1. huntingwildman

huntingwildman Spike

Feb 13, 2007
    I notice in Kentucky a great deal of bowfishing is happening from county road bridges...Discharging a bow upon a public roadway is undoubtedly illegal, plus there are dead fish being left to rot on the bridge decks, and the bowfishermens cars are partially blocking the road....A total black eye for the tradition of bowfishing IMO, plus it's defacto hunting and or bowfishing on the lands of others without permission....What do you think?

Last edited: May 4, 2018
  2. bird whisperer

bird whisperer 10 pointer

Aug 16, 2012
    Hog Town USA
    Call your CO and have them drive by next time you see them. Im sure he would have something to say about it.

3. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    I have no issue with people fishing or bowfishing from bridges as long as they don't leave fish to rot or block traffic.

muddhunter likes this.
  4. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    California ky
    Dumb unsafe slobs. Wow.

5. forager

forager 8 pointer

Mar 5, 2017
    planet earth
    Seems like something that irresponsible teenage kids would do. Get a photo of the vehicle and license plate # then call the CO.

6. huntingwildman

huntingwildman Spike

Feb 13, 2007
    What if I waited until deer season and shot a 12 pointer from one of those bridges, and didn't leave a gut pile behind...Would it be an issue for you then?

7. huntingwildman

huntingwildman Spike

Feb 13, 2007
    It's mostly adults...Really damaging to the reputation of bowfishing IMO...We have to police ourselves, or we lose it all.

charlette curtis likes this.
  8. forager

forager 8 pointer

Mar 5, 2017
    planet earth
    Some adults never grow up and act responsibly. Yes, they need to be held accountable for their actions. Perhaps a citation for littering is in order, but I'll leave that decision up to the cops.

It's simple: don't block traffic, throw the fish carcasses in the ditch or back in the water.

On a personal note, I was raised to use what I harvest, never to waste it, and can't condone this behavior. Killing is never fun, but eating what you kill is.

9. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    California ky
    How can bowhunting on a bridge meant for cars be safe? I must be missing something.

10. forager

forager 8 pointer

Mar 5, 2017
    planet earth
    It depends on the bridge. Some have space for pedestrians to utilize the edges, while others offer no separation from traffic. It's a case by case situation, and safety is an issue.

carnivore likes this.
  11. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    I guess I grew up shooting off of bridges on back roads (Age 52 .22 rifles/pistols at snakes and cans) I have shot fish off of a bridge during a flooding period. Have you never seen people fish off of a bridge?

I do have issues with people leaving carcasses to rot... Toss them back in the river after slitting the air sack!

If a bridge has heavy traffic, find another bridge to shoot from!

gung, bondhu, carnivore and 2 others like this.
  12. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    I was introduced to bowfishing by a friend who first took me to shoot off a bridge. We parked where all the waders and fishermen parked and walked onto the bridge to shoot. When a car came we stopped shooting and waited for them to pass. This was only every once in a great while as there wasn’t much traffic. Some would ask what we were doing and we would tell them. These people would be genuinely interested in how it all worked. They would sometimes stay and talk for a while. Not one of them looked at us sideways. We even had COs come by asking if we were having any luck. Seemed to me to be all on the up and up. My point is, I am pretty sure that we didn’t turn anyone off to hunting by bowfishing off a bridge. Matter of fact we may have recruited some folks by taking the time to talk to them. Now this was many years back and it was somewhere between Berea and Richmond so the clientele may have been different than what you are dealing with today. But back then it actually made me feel like an ambassador to the sport. Shoot on bridge hunters! Just don’t leave your mess behind.

BNewNKY46 and ddwhitetails like this.
  13. ddwhitetails

ddwhitetails 10 pointer

Jul 6, 2014
    ^^^^^^^^^ What he said! Some people like to make Mountains out of mole hills. If its not against the law, why should it bother anyone?

FOWLER2671 likes this.
  14. huntingwildman

huntingwildman Spike

Feb 13, 2007
    I understand about shooting off bridges when we were kids, probably wasn't prohibited back then, and the world was much different in those days....I think the big takeaway from this happening today is that is indeed illegal......Also the damaging ramifications of slob bowfisherman, and peoples perception to our already fragile image in the eyes of the public.

15. huntingwildman

huntingwildman Spike

Feb 13, 2007
    Kentucky statute 150.360 (paragraph 4)... No person shall discharge any firearm, BOW AND ARROW, crossbow or other similar device, upon, over or across any public roadway.