Bobcat size

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by Scoony, Oct 30, 2017.

1. Scoony

Scoony 6 pointer

Nov 7, 2003
    Radcliff
    I swore I saw a bobcat yesterday on Fort Knox while driving out of the hunt area. At first I thought it was a coyote, but I noticed that it did not have the right head shape. If it was a bobcat, it would have been the size of a large coyote. It was standing in the middle of a gravel road about 80 yards away looking intently at something just off the road before I scared it off. Did not have my binos at the ready, but I am sure that it did not have a dog shaped head. It was a light tan color. I have seen bobcats before, just not one as big as this one was.

2. kc4sox

kc4sox Spike

Nov 16, 2014
    I had a large male that lived in the woodlot behind the house for years. He was easily the size of a coyote and 45lbs no problem.

3. hicktown

hicktown Fawn

Jun 11, 2013
    Dry Ridge Ky.
    We have one on camera that i swear looks anywhere from 30-40 lbs. about the size of a coyote.

4. JR in KY

JR in KY 10 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    My son works at Ft. Knox and he sees bobcats and coyote regularly. No hunting pressure on them so both live long and can grow large.

Like hicktown said, I had one on trail camera numerous times last winter eating some coyote bait. He was a big fella....always came at night.
    When you actually see a Critter live and in living color, they Do always look large.

5. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    IMG_4553.PNG
    This guy looks pretty big to me. If love to have him mounted as if he were pouncing on a cardinal bird...but that me. I'm thinking he's as tall and long as my medium sized Labrador. Obviously my lab is fatter, but that seems like a pretty damn big cat. Thoughts?

6. Scoony

Scoony 6 pointer

Nov 7, 2003
    Radcliff
    Yeah, that looks like what I saw as far as head shape and tail. I got a caller this year and will be going out after them varmints after deer season.

7. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    California ky
    Is that Boone county? I have seen bobcats in eastern and SE Ky but not up north yet.

8. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    This particular picture is from our place is mason county. My buddy had several cats on his place in Verona though. He's south of ryle high school on 42. He has many pictures and has seen them wandering about frequently.

9. INKYHUNTER

INKYHUNTER Cyber-Hunter

Dec 10, 2001
    Bowling Green, KY, USA.
    I saw one at LBL years ago that was very large, all others I have seen not near as large.

10. K9trapper

K9trapper 12 pointer

Dec 7, 2006
    Having caught a dump truck load of them and having lots of buddies who are darn good cat trappers, the low 30's are as big as they get in KY.

11. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    45 lb cat???? 30 lb cat is huge.

12. rme hunter

rme hunter 8 pointer

Dec 1, 2006
    Breckinridge County
    A common acquaintance of ours shot a 36lb actually weighed on post several years ago. It was massive that is the only one I have heard of that weighed more that 31 to 33lbs.

13. Coot_Meurer

Coot_Meurer 10 pointer

Nov 4, 2006
    Not here anymore
    They way they carry their body up on long legs makes them look a lot bigger than they are. I killed an absolute monster years ago, and it weighed in at 27 pounds. I have never killed another over 20.

That being said - if you doubt it was a cat, it probably wasn't. Cats move completely different from dogs, and the blunt head is a give away - unless you have boxer or pug crossed coy dogs in the area.