Bluegill thread

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by Duster, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Reading it and seeing some freeze some for over the winter. Why not catch them fresh during the winter. If you have a place with Bluegill they can be caught year round. During the winter all it takes is a ice fishing jig with a small float and some waxworms. All can be found online and ordered year round. We never go fish hungry around here and IMO nothing better than cold water caught firm meat bluegill.

2. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    True. But I got other things to do in the winter.

Meatstick likes this.
  3. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
  4. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

I will be eating fresh caught bluegill and yall will be wishing you had some come late winter....LOL.

xbokilla and Capttrae like this.
  5. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    I’ll be water swatting greenheads about that time. So I’ll trade you. Duck breasts for bluegill

Meatstick and rabbit dawg like this.
  6. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Rather have the Bluegill, Thanks for the offer anyway. Where is duck season in during Feb ?

7. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    Duck only has 2 seasons Salt and Pepper

FOWLER2671, BNewNKY46 and xbokilla like this.
  8. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    I have in December and January taken fishing pole wax worms to a couple of ponds I hunt Ducks at. By 10 if no birds show up. I will catch a mess of Gills to take home. Once I cleaned 3 and cooked them in the blind. Little flower and corn meal on them. Made some fine eating on a cold day.

barney and Capttrae like this.
  9. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    enjoy, won't be getting any competition from me. while i've deer hunted in -15 degree temps and wind chills in the -25 range, doesn't bother me, but i have no desire to fish when it's cold out.

10. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    If I’m catching and catching fast I’ll fish cold weather but otherwise nope.

11. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

I had a guy that sounds like some of yall. I was standing at the spillway below the lake Malone dam just wearing out big bluegill. Temp was 15 deg's. Guy pulls up and crack his window down a bit. Ask me if I was fishing, well yes I am I told him. He told me fish don't eat in the winter. I told him that the 25 or so in my bucket thought they did and showed them to him. He took one look and told me … Your not right, rolled up his window and drove away. I thought he would really be shook up if it had been froze and I was fishing thru a hole in the ice catching fish. I have wished many times we had cold enough weather to freeze some of the ponds I fish thick enough for me to walk on safe and cut holes to fish thru.
    I am going to put in a order for some new ice jigs soon and if anyone wants some I will put extra on my order, they run around 80 cents each.

12. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    December 21st 1981. Went hunting that morning to a pond. It was cold but just cold enough not to freeze over. Just a light coat of ice. Wadded out used a limb making waves and ice melted right up. Put out my decoys and sat back under a blown over Cedar tree. I didn't have a Dog back then. So I used a 7 foot fishing pole pretty stiff. Big Zebco reel and 40 pound test line. Tied a big 8 inch Spook floating bait on line. That was my Dog. I knocked down a couple of Mallards. Left them a loan for awhile to see if others would come in. About hour later I got my fishing pole made a cast at first Mallard BAM Fish hit the bait. I set the hook fight was on. Landed a 4 pound 7 ounce Largemouth. Weighed it when I got home.

thunderstorm likes this.