Big day coyote hunting

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by Wildcat, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Wildcat

Wildcat 12 pointer

Jan 7, 2002
    Ledbetter, Ky.
    I got up early, around 3:30AM this morning to go to LBL for some coyote hunting. Took my time, ate breakfast, showered and headed out the door. Drove all the way to my favorite spot, first time I've used it this year. Put on bibs, parka and got on my backpack with chair and Shockwave caller, gloves and finally my Rock River ATH rifle.

Head to the spot in the dark, put up the chair, take caller out of back pack. Take caller and remote about 75 yards away, start to turn caller and remote on but caller is already on, no light on caller, Foxjack decoy on caller does not work. Realize caller was left on all night and didn't know it, remember my extra battery pack is at home on charger. Go back to chair, get chair, backpack and shooting sticks. Go back to truck, take everything off and unload my rifle and drive back home.

I'm going back to bed.

barney and bondhu like this.
  2. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 10 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    That’s where you should get you a good mouth call,and you could’ve got to hunt a little bit anyway

JR PORTER, JDMiller and Semp like this.
  3. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    I keep 3-4 mouth calls in my e-caller bag .. for that reason.

Which I’ve been fortunate to not have my electronic calls go dead and try to keep a pack of alkalines in the truck as back up in case the rechargeables run down.

But I can feel for you Wildcat.

It’s an 1.5 drive to my farm and I too hunt LBL often... which actually LBL is the closer option to home. In turn I’m probably one of the most organized hunter you would ever meet as I take spares and literally attempt to cover all the bases on things I might need.

But seems there’s always that one thing that you forget that can throw your entire hunt for a loop.

4. Have done similar stuff deer hunting.Leave quiver with arrows at house.Leave release at house.Leave ramps at house ,cant unload 4 wheeler.Sometimes it seems like a struggle.

5. predator1

predator1 12 pointer

Dec 25, 2008
    Glasgow,Ky
    The struggle is real sometimes....

Junglekat likes this.