Big Canada moose down

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by littlebear, Sep 29, 2017.

1. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    A moose hunt had been a dream hunt for a while. Planning this hunt for almost 3yrs. A buddy and I made the trip to Ontario Canada for 7 day fly in remote wilderness moose hunt. Once we crossed the border it was about 5hr drive up (about 22hr drive total) Then the next day a 140 mile float plane trip into the remote bush. The day we arrived it was raining and rained all or part of each day there. Wind,rain and throw in the rut was doing nothing all week made for tough hunting. Hunting was all day long. Few times all day sits in places but a few days moved to various spots. Last evening of the hunt we was hunting maybe 10 miles down the lake from camp. We had hunted there a couple times and saw fresh sign. Figured since last evening give it one more try. After sitting for a few hours and several calling sequences we heard some big limbs break a few times. Knowing it was probably a moose we waited in the rain hoping he would show himself. Sure enough with only 1.5hrs left in my hunt there he was coming to the raking call. I could see his huge dark body behind the spurce trees. He slowly eased up at about 30 yds sticking his head into the clear. I was on him waiting for him to take one more step to show his vitals. Then he took the step. I shot hitting him right where I aimed. The bull ran about 25 yds and stopped. Then he went down. Needless to say I was so excited. 7days of hard hunting and he was the first moose I saw all week. Now the work began. Took us roughly 7 hrs to get it quartered and back to camp. Almost 2am wet and half froze. Awesome ending to a great trip. Here are some pics.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  2. I didn't say

I didn't say Fawn

May 28, 2017
    Over here.
    Congrats on nice moose. Like the pic also.

3. bird whisperer

bird whisperer 8 pointer

Aug 16, 2012
    Hog Town USA
    Congratulations littlebear! A Bull moose hunt is definitely on my list of dream hunts as well. I have been blessed to make 3 hunting trips to Canada and each experiance was unforgettable. Congratulations Once again.

4. bondhu

bondhu 10 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Congratulations on a great hunt. Thanks for posting

5. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    California ky
    Very glad your perseverance paid off. thanks for sharing your experience. I should have done this before i got married but i hope one day i can make it happen.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
    Docwaters likes this.
  6. Carpdaddy

Carpdaddy 10 pointer

May 12, 2016
    Corbin, Ky
    Congratulations on a lifetime adventure and achievement!

7. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    To say I'm jealous is an understatement. Congrats to you! Heck I'd just love to see that area whether I got to hunt or not.

8. Coot_Meurer

Coot_Meurer 10 pointer

Nov 4, 2006
    Not here anymore
    Big Time Congrats. That is definitely on my list of planned hunts, just waiting to draw a Maine tag, or get fed up and head north of the border.

Out of curiosity, why did you choose the province you did? It seems like the maritimes have the easiest and cheapest (although cheap and moose don't really go together) hunts.

9. elkaholic

elkaholic 10 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    Congratulations, that is awesome. Nice pics too.

10. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    Been putting in Maine moose lottery for years. Also New Hamspire for a few yews with no luck. Friends of mine had hunted in that province before but not that far north. They had taken several bulls. They are up there right now archery hunting.

11. Gooch

Gooch 8 pointer

Feb 24, 2004
    .lincoln co ky
    nice bull love the pics

12. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    That's just tremendous! Congratulations!!