Back to Eden Gardening

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Gioacchino, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Gioacchino

Gioacchino 6 pointer

Jan 20, 2016
    Northern Kentucky
    Has anyone here ever tried the "Back to Eden" gardening method? I am trying it this year and having pretty poor results in comparison to how my garden did last year.

Thanks.

2. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I've known one honest to goodness organic gardener in my life. He also holds several degrees in plant sciences, and worked all over the US, mainly breeding vegetables.

He said most berries can be grown organically, along with asparagus, lettuces, and meager harvest's of summer squash. He said no matter how much compost you apply to fruiting crops like maters, one cluster of fruit is about all that can be expected.

3. Gioacchino

Gioacchino 6 pointer

Jan 20, 2016
    Northern Kentucky
    Thanks, Barney. I read a lot, and watched a lot of videos, before starting the Back to Eden project. Pretty much all positive info. They all did say that it’s a process that gets better with age. But I didn’t expect to not have anything grow. Time will tell. I’ve since fertilized the soil nearby the plants, but it may be too little too late.

barney likes this.
  4. It takes time and knowledge to build a truly living soil, chalked full of micro life/beneficials and the reward is amazing tasting food. But as Barney alluded to, you’ll never match production organically that you will get with synthetic fertilizers.

5. katlynn

katlynn 6 pointer

Sep 20, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I haven’t myself but I was at a presentation recently about mushrooms. She said that she’d had excellent results when she added mushrooms. They help breakdown your mulch and have the added benefit of being edible as well.

She recommended two different types...one for shady areas under plants and another for sunny areas. One was wine caps but I don’t remember the other.

Her website is https://www.2angelsmushrooms.com

6. Gioacchino

Gioacchino 6 pointer

Jan 20, 2016
    Northern Kentucky
    Interesting. I'll have to read into that. Thanks.

7. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I will add..
    Many years ago I planted some sweet potatoes in a mound of 1 1/2 year old tree service wood chips. The potato production was as good as any I ever saw in my life! Harvest was easy too!

Gioacchino and drakeshooter like this.
  8. Gioacchino

Gioacchino 6 pointer

Jan 20, 2016
    Northern Kentucky
    Yep I think that's kind of the idea with this method. Over time the bedding will decompose and it should get better and better. Kind of frustrating though that things are doing really poor this year though.

9. rlb165

rlb165 8 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    BTE gardening is interesting to me.
    Lately, I've been trying to learn about microbes, and what they do in the soil.
    I am reading a book called JADAM. It's about how Koreans used to farm before synthetic fertilizer became available.
    One of the things the book talks about is JMS which stands for JADAM Microbial Solution.
    I'm just now starting to experiment with it, but I believe that JMS would work well with Back To Eden style gardening.
    There are a couple of videos on YouTube that show how to make JMS. Basically, you dig up a few microbes out of the ground and put them in a container of water and feed them boiled potatoes. That will make them multiply like crazy, and you pour the microbe-filled water where you want it after a day or two.
    I believe adding JMS to wood chips, or whatever material you're working with, would really jumpstart the microbe population.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  10. rlb165

rlb165 8 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
  11. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    I do a garden just like Dad showed me years ago. I plow it disc it. Put some fertilizer on it along with Chicken crap from my coop. Grows fine. Potatoes I use 3 BIG rear tractor tires. I drilled 2 inch holes on the tops so water can get in the tire. I mixed top soil and mulch. Plant my potatoes in them. Then when ready just take my hand rake inside of tires and pull potatoes out.

12. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    [​IMG]
    Like these are but tires I have are more closed to center than these. So that's why I drilled the holes so water can get inside the tire to.

13. JR in KY

JR in KY 10 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    So.
    You want to farm like the Koreans and VC?
    Just go out and Crap in your garden, and get your neighbors to dump a load also.

yote hunter and bondhu like this.
  14. There’s a book called Teaming With Microbes that’s the best start for anybody looking to grow organically. I used to have a link for a free PDF but it’s dead.

rlb165 likes this.
  15. nock

nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    Am I the only one how had to google “ back to Eden gardening “?

Feedman likes this.