Are there any foods you "splurge" on???

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by Lady Hunter, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    Since Barney's got his "cheap eatin'" thread still going strong, I was wondering what expensive foods y'all just can't resist to splurge on every once in a while....

For us, the two biggies are shrimp & pecans. Grilled shrimp, shrimp cocktail, shrimp & pasta & asparagus, fried shrimp, sweet & sour shrimp... Any way you can fix it, we pretty much like it! Kroger had some for under $5 a pound a few weeks ago on one of those Fri/Sat only specials & I bought 10# (the maximum allowed)!!! Used to order it in 20# cases before Zaycon went belly up....

And pecans... Mmmmm... Not the often stale ones that flood the stores around Thanksgiving & Christmas but delicious straight from the farm nutty goodness... Several years ago, I found that you can order directly from some of the farms in the Midwest & their bulk sale prices aren't that bad. I just got in a 30# case yesterday for right at $8/lb by the time I added on shipping and they are unbelievable! There's just no comparison in the flavor. My husband was supposed to be helping me bag them in 1# baggies last night & I think he was eating more than he was bagging - lol!

[​IMG]

2. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    I like to splurge on thick rib eyes and rib roasts. Well not too many steaks I don't like lol

3. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    California ky
    Born in Boston and am addicted to lobster. Had a boil last month at a work banquet in boston and im the guy who shamelessly went back for seconds 6 times. Love me some king crab legs and sushi as well.

FOWLER2671, Nock and Lady Hunter like this.
  4. Zeb

Zeb 8 pointer

May 20, 2008
    Goshen, KY
    Clearwater foods in Louisville has a tank where they hold lobsters for shipping across the country via UPS I assume. They sell them at a pretty good discount after they've been around for a few days. Ha - Also, deeper discounts on scratch and dent lobsters that may be missing a claw. I try to get by there once or twice a year and pick up a couple for a home boil. Take your own cooler.

Lady Hunter and carnivore like this.
  5. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    California ky
    If i could figure a way to convert my pond to saltwater and breed them id be in heaven.

6. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
  7. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    California ky
    Any favorites? I prefer a variety but wahoo might be my favorite.

8. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Prime rib or beef loin when on sale.

drakeshooter and davers like this.
  9. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    Yellowfin or scamp

10. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    I really don’t care for bluefin, except the belly. Don’t care for the loin, too creamy tasting due to fat content

11. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

12. bondhu

bondhu 10 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    IMG_0202.JPG
    Any Crustaceans . If a table had all species on it. I would eat Stone Crab until they were gone or I was :)
    Here are 28 "burp!" excuse me:) hulled blue crabs from Captain Pells in Fairfax, Virginia, By the way the wife had 8 grilled medium shrimp and I ate one of those :D

13. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    I’d like to been there for that throw down.

bondhu likes this.
  14. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Blue crab parties are in my favorite list.

claynut69 and bondhu like this.
  15. bondhu

bondhu 10 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    LMAO my wife would say no you wouldn't. Many of times she has to duck and weave .

Nock likes this.