AR-15 Caliber Options

Discussion in 'Modern Firearms' started by predator1, Apr 18, 2017.

1. predator1

predator1 10 pointer

Dec 25, 2008
    Glasgow,Ky
    Well, since I broke down and bought and AR. I'm now considering a a different caliber. Something more useful for a hunting caliber for deer. I'm considering the 6.5 Grendel or the 300AAC Blackout. I'm really liking the Grendel. May even do some trading for one and get rid of my 223 upper

2. stevenvalleyagain

stevenvalleyagain 10 pointer

Aug 15, 2005
    Valley station
    If it were me and I had the money, I would get an AR10 in 6.5 creedmoor. Its an even better deer round than the grendel although it will not work in an AR15, just the AR10 or a bolt gun.

3. Scoony

Scoony 6 pointer

Nov 7, 2003
    Radcliff
    I would consider building or buying a 6.8 Rem special. I just completed my first AR build in 6.8 Basically a shortened 270 cal. I built it for deer hunting here in KY. I would even consider using it on elk if I was ever drawn. Ammo is not hard to come by.

Check out this site for more info on the 6.8
    http://68forums.com/forums/forum.php

Coot_Meurer likes this.
  4. predator1

predator1 10 pointer

Dec 25, 2008
    Glasgow,Ky
    I was about to say it can't be used for elk, but it certainly can. I never had thought what caliber the .270 was in a metric platform. I'm going to do some checking on it.

5. useyourbow

useyourbow 12 pointer

Purchase an upper of the caliber of choosing but keep the 5.56 upper just in case the SHTF. The whole fun of an AR is plinking and inexpensive ammo. That's the magic of an AR platform. Set up an upper for plinking and one for hunting. Just a thought.
    Check out: Palmetto State Armory sign up for sales emails. You can purchase uppers over the internet with out using a FFL handler. The lower is the "gun" requiring a FFL for transactions on-line.

6. jblack1

jblack1 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2005
    Science Hill
    The majority of complaints that I've heard about the 300 BO is slow bullets don't expand very well,
    My sons first deer was an example, but it died within 40 yds of hard running using Remington Hog Hammer Ammo, the bullet exited the deer the same size as entrance, No Expansion,
    I'd build something other than a 300 BO, and would probably go with either a 6.5 or the 6.8 for specifically hunting purposes. JMHO

7. jblack1

jblack1 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2005
    Science Hill
    Watch for sales and grab a 6.5 Grendel for a lot cheaper prices than one year ago.

8. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    If you reload get a 243 LBC or 6x6.8 if not the 6.8 feeds better and it and the 6.5 are almost identical for powder space.
    The 6.5 does have better BC options and would be better for long range after 500 yards.

9. Coot_Meurer

Coot_Meurer 10 pointer

Nov 4, 2006
    Not here anymore
    That is my next project. The 6.8 really isn't superior to the 6.5 Grendel or the 300 Blackout - but I like my collection of .270s and have a lot of reloading supplies, especially bullets.

10. Scoony

Scoony 6 pointer

Nov 7, 2003
    Radcliff
    Lots of folks have different opinions about "best" choice. For me, it really boils down to what's a good/great choice for what I want to do. If you want to shoot close range <150 suppressed so the neighbors don't hear you, then the 300 Blkout shines. If you want to shoot targets at long range, then maybe the 6.5. I want to be able to shoot deer in the 30 - 300 yard range and the 6.8 is a great choice for that, plus it meets the caliber requirements for Elk in KY.

11. massive horns

massive horns BBBC Members

Oct 21, 2002
    Kentucky
    I love my Grendel. It has killed many pigs and a deer.

Very accurate at incredible distances..