Anyone Use a Green underwater light

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by Duster, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

For night time crappie fishing ? Sis new place has a nice dock and she had heard about using a green light to attract bait fish then in turn attract crappie. I have never used one but told her I would ask the guys here about them. Looking online they seem to come in all price ranges and I know she will not want to spend 2 to 3 hundred dollars on one. Are they worth the time and expense ?

2. stickbait

stickbait Fawn

Aug 18, 2008
    They work. It's been awhile since I purchased mine but it was less than $50. You put the light out and basically wait. First the microscopic stuff comes to it, then tiny baitfish, then larger baitfish then fish. It takes a few hrs. for the food chain to get all the way up to big fish. We used glow in the dark floaters and fished at the edge of lit up water just out of the light. With your sis having a dock you could put out your light and do something else for a couple of hours then fish.

3. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 8 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    I fish like this for crappie and walleye through the summer. I purchased on of the cheaper green lights when they first come out to give it a try and wasn't impressed. Nothing seems to beat good clear while light for me. It worked well but unless you get one of the good LED versions it is actually a bit more difficult to see the bait. I'm 35 and the eyes aren't what they used to be so that may be the issue but on a night trip I'll take a floating light over the green every time from the experience I have. I do keep the green light in the boat in case something happens to my other though.

4. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    I’ve got green lights on the stern and from midship to the bow on both port and starboard side under the cap rail of my bass boat and 4 white lights on the bow. The two on the stern stay submerged while the ones under the cap rail are above the waterline. Plus I’ll run 1 floating and 1 subermisble geek light. Seems like they draw in the bait quicker than a regular white light

5. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2003
    Underground Bunker in KY
    You just gave me an idea. I have one of these on a air rifle for night rat hunting and it works well. Seal it in a fruit jar and it should be okay under water. It is Cheap. If you want it to sink, put some lead in the jar.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Opar-Green...547148?hash=item3d55af26cc:g:bVEAAOSw5nxaVxcC

6. kstonich

kstonich Fawn

Jun 7, 2011
    Do you have electricity to the dock or will you be using a 12volt battery.
    Lights are very cheap and easy to build . What depth of water is under the dock is not to deep a floating or a suspended light would be all you would need, I do use green on all of my lights but for years it was a standard white light. If you need to buy, these are relatively inexpensive and are very bright
    http://fishinglightsetc.com/AquaStarComboII.html

7. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

It can go either way with a extension cord or battery. Dock sits about 50 ft from the house outlet. I would bet the corded way would be best just because if the weight of a battery that would require taking it up some steps to recharge it. Not saying someone would steal a charger sitting on the dock but with some foke's you just never know. They will steal stuff off a pontoon boat tied to a dock I do know that. Several people I know have had things come up missing. One of my neighbors lost 3 batterys over one summer off his. Another lost a canoe and gear that was sitting on his dock. I even tracked down one pontoon boat for another neighbor. He owned two places and was working on one when I came past. He ask me to go around to his other dock and check on it...gone.. So I came back around and picked him up .We found it tied up at the state dock 5 miles away, seats, top, battery's, gas tank, life jackets, trolling motor and some fishing tackle everything gone but big motor.

8. kstonich

kstonich Fawn

Jun 7, 2011
    Sounds like whatever you use you'd better bolt it down.