Anyone hunt in DBNF?

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Smokin9mm, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Smokin9mm

Smokin9mm 6 pointer

Dec 3, 2014
    Lexington
    I am new to Lexington, KY and this will be my first year deer hunting here. I have some private land that I have access to in Breathitt Co. and also a farm near Danville that I can occasionally hunt, but want to get some info on the public land in DBNF. Does anyone on the forum that hunts there have any info they can give a noob to the area? I heard it's pretty rough terrain but that doesn't bother me. Any decent area within an hour or so drive from Lex? Will be hunting with firearm only as I do not have a bow. Anyone doing any scouting this summer that wouldn't mind someone tagging along? I will get lunch Feel free to PM me if you'd like. Thank you.

2. bondhu

bondhu 8 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    If you hunt Breathitt you should have no problem on Daniel.
    Mark some places you like and go check them out. Daniel is the same as scouting Breathitt if you smell cucumbers ease out the way you came. Remember if you think it is a good access spot 50 other people do to. You get double the gratification on WMA's. That Buck has out Foxed 100's of Stan Potts for 4-5 years until you came along! :D

Smokin9mm likes this.
  3. Drewbays

Drewbays Fawn

Nov 29, 2016
    Don't take anything you don't want to loose !!! If you take a quad or whatever make sure that thing is locked down I've had things stolen while hunting down there so just be cautious

Smokin9mm likes this.
  4. Smokin9mm

Smokin9mm 6 pointer

Dec 3, 2014
    Lexington
    Haven't hunted yet in Breathitt, but I walked around up there a bit to check it out a few weeks ago. My wife's family owns a little chunk and says I can do whatever I'd like. Gotta say it is a rough hike in some spots. We moved here from FL a few months ago so I haven't even seen a small hill in 15 or so years haha. Def a change for the better! Does cucumbers = ganja? I've heard there can be some characters in the woods around here

5. bondhu

bondhu 8 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Cucumbers =Copperheads ask your wife or her family they will tell you.
    As far as weed if you smell a skunk=weed same thing back out real ease don't even look for it you could end up with a #4 circle hook in your eye.
    Matter of fact I retract all my advise. You need to stick to family's land. If you are a foreigner of Ky ways DB is no place to learn them. I go to DB for everything. But I also always have a 45 showing and a 9 mm concealed not counting deer rifle or turkey shotgun. Drive up around zilpo you will see the walking dead. You will also notice that unless buzzards were circling your body there's a good chance no one will find you.
    Down there in Breathitt go talk to some Fugates,Nobles or Neisses. They will tell you the do's and don't,s of playing in the Ky. woods. Good Luck

6. Smokin9mm

Smokin9mm 6 pointer

Dec 3, 2014
    Lexington
    Appreciate the advice sir. Anyone else have anything they'd like to add that could help me besides stay out of the forest? I went to the Clear Creek Shooting Range last week and it seemed like a nice area. Can you hunt around there?

7. bondhu

bondhu 8 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Hey man I was just giving you some sound advice drive up around there and check it out. I mean back in the 80's some weird sh$t went on up around lockegee and clack mountains. Everything I have told you ,you can google.
    With that said map it as I said before and remember around the lake is where everyone are. So I would try to find some land close to private crop land so I could take advantage of the pressure from private land. Good luck

8. KYT

KYT 8 pointer

May 3, 2008
    Eastern Ky.
    DBNF is one HUGE area. You are no more likely to run into thieves or shady characters there than anywhere else. And Ky does not corner the market on undesirable people, but some in Ky. like to spread that rumor, especially in areas they like to hunt. Most of the time hunting on public land I never see a soul.
    Talk to the people in the DBNF forestry office. They can give you good info and maps etc.
    Check out the state Wild life Management Areas. They are public land but you need to know each one's restrictions and seasons. Most of that is in the Ky F&W hunting guide. Except during the deer quota hunts I seldom see anyone when I'm hunting at Paintsville, Grayson, or Dewey WMAs. There are WMAs closer than those to Lex. Good Luck to you.

Smokin9mm likes this.
  9. Dan99

Dan99 6 pointer

Oct 11, 2015
    Can you use a quad out there?

10. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Smokin 9, we've talked on here a few times. Down visiting your former state but like I've said I stick to the gulf side. From Lexington, I'd recommend scouting and trying your luck at Kleber. Plenty of deer just need to get away from the main roads where people hunt heavy. Bow hunt and you'll have more time and less hunting pressure at all the State Forests. Good luck!

Smokin9mm likes this.
  11. Smokin9mm

Smokin9mm 6 pointer

Dec 3, 2014
    Lexington
    Thank you sir for taking the time to respond. Some good info here and I appreciate it. After I posted my thread I did a quick search on here and noticed a trend whenever someone newer asked for recommendations on public land to hunt. I'm not trying to steal anyone's spot trust me. Honestly don't really care if I ever even shoot a deer. Just want to get out of the house once in awhile and maybe put a little meat in the freezer. Shit I'd even pay to have it processed and give half to whoever .

As far as the scary forest people, I try not to live my life in fear and will deal with anything if something should arise. Wouldnt be the first time.

12. Smokin9mm

Smokin9mm 6 pointer

Dec 3, 2014
    Lexington
    Hey man yeah I remember! Hopefully you didn't get too wet down there . Still have some buddies that live in the Panhandle and they got pounded by the storm. I lived over that way as well for awhile, in Navarre. I will check out Kleber for sure. Been wanting to pick up a bow but honestly I have no clue what I am looking for. I was checking out the seasons and you sure can hunt for awhile up here with one. Think I could get hooked up for about 1k?

13. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Absolutely. None of my bows even come close to that amount. We get some rain daily here but not like the panhandle area got from the storm. I'm south of Sarasota so way down.

Smokin9mm likes this.
  14. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 8 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    Grew up hunting some of the DBNF back east. It's tough terrain but lot of deer there when you can find them. Like everyone else has said, get off the beaten trail. If ur hunting close to a trail access, lots of road hunters. That honestly goes for much of the private land in Ky though as well. Plenty of deer shot from the road on both public and private. I would recommend a bow. 80% of my hunting is done with bow and arrow now due to lack of pressure and sheer excitement. If u are unfamiliar with them, take a trip to a bow shop locally or even a place like Dicks and shoot a couple. This is not a plug for Dicks by any means but when I started out I bought a complete set up there for way less than a grand. Not even half that. Killed deer just as well as the thousand 1200 dollar bows. If ur gonna hunt the DBNF I would scout and try to find saddle areas or ridge tops with white oaks. Good luck and welcome to Ky!!!

Smokin9mm likes this.
  15. WaterDog88

WaterDog88 10 pointer

Jul 28, 2008
    Kentucky
    You can get a really nice bow in the $500-600 range. Check out r&r in Georgetown.

I hunt breathitt some. You will have as much luck in breathitt as anywhere else in dbnf. Maybe better because you can bait. Hang a stand and throw the corn to them. The deer will hit that until acorns drop and then come back to it later. When acorns are dropping hunt them.

Mountain hunting is going to be an experience for you. Murphy's law dictates in the mountains deer will die in the deepest thickest holler around no matter how good they are hit.

Smokin9mm likes this.