Anyone have spray foam insulation for home ?

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Duster, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

We met with the contractor this afternoon that will build the new house to drop off house plans and he said the going thing is spray foam insulation. Floor to roof deal. He said most if not all the homes he has built in the past few years has had it put in. Really cuts down on the utility bill's for both heat and air. A bit more expensive than fiberglass but worth every penny. We are looking at near a year out on building he is that covered up with new home construction , but he is worth the wait to us. Never met a more honest contractor. Ours will be a small project for him at 1,400 sq ft heated and he wants to get back into building smaller houses as most he has built since he did this one we are in now is in the 8,000 to 12,000 ft range. Also he likes the tankless waterheaters so if anyone has one of them how do you like it. And is yours gas or electric.

2. Drahts

Drahts 6 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    Duster I put closed cell spray foam in my pole building walls and gable ends to roof. If I could have swung it I would have had them do the roof as well but couldn't do it. I have a 2nd floor that will have a living qtr in that will be r19 batt insulated when I finish it. I expect great performance from the insulation in this building. It has kept the first floor of this building @80-83 degrees on the days it was 95-99 degrees earlier this summer. My other pole building with no insulation was over 100 degrees on the same days. Once the 2nd floor is insulated I don't think the first floor will get above 80. I used Reed Sprayfoam for my building, they are out of Charleston WVa if I remember correctly. They travel all over. Don't be afraid to negotiate the price!

rutnbuk likes this.
  3. massive horns

massive horns BBBC Members

Oct 21, 2002
    Kentucky
    I built my mom and dads vacation house last year and I had a company spray 6 inch open cell foam in the walls and then blew in 4 feet of the dusty cellulose type in the attic.
    It's amazing the difference. Worth every penny

4. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    I've been around two types the foam and the one that looks like paper/ cardboard. I'd say for energy efficiency it's great and acts well for noise reduction concerning outside sounds.

But you better from an electrical standpoint ...you need to put a little more thought up-front concerning receptacles, switches & wiring in general.

Because if you want to add anything after the fact... your not going to fish anything back down the wall without cutting sheet rock.

EdLongshanks likes this.
  5. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    My brother in law had the tankless water heater in gas an really liked it. I will get one at my next house

6. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    My thoughts here don't matter one bit ... as tankless water heaters do work ... especially point of use.

But the cost involved up front of installing a gas tankless system large enough to do an entire house is a wash. Being you could be looking at anywhere from $800 to $1500 on just the unit .. not counting installation cost. So it's not real hard to get in the $2000 or or much more .. especially if your transitioning from electric to gas.

In my opinion .. even though the effiency is there to save money .. you possibly spent 5 times more in comparison to a traditional tank-type water heater on the front end. Which life of either on typical city water are nearly the same when your talking tank versus heat exchanger.

Also on warranty... tankless you have to flush the heat exchanger with a vinegar or manufacture suggested product yearly.. with some type of record / documentation to prove you did just that .. or it voids the warranty.

Which I'm not trying to talk anyone out of going tankless... but as of now the cost of the units are not there yet to be beneficial in comparison to a typical 40-50 gallon tank type water heater.

Just my opinion.

EdLongshanks and DARKCLOUD like this.
  7. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    I thought there was a rebate plan with the tankless. I was thinking $1100.00 for the tankless minus the $300.00 rebate put it in the $800.00 range. They are not hard to install. My bil had 3 sons playing sports so there was lots of laundry. He thought he saved a bunch of money.

8. cedar creek

cedar creek 8 pointer

Sep 7, 2014
    Spray foam is the real deal stuff, put 1inch foam board under basement slab also helps a bunch. I went all out, spray foam geothermal, icf walls, 2500 sqft basement middle top floor, electric bill around 150,175

9. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Truthfully, it's not any better than professionally installed fiberglass. The foam guys will argue about that, but someone who knows the truth will shut them up quickly!

If I were building new I would use both. I would foam the roof deck in the attic to eliminate heat gain in the summer, and foam the crawlspace and outside band for elimination of drafts in the winter. I would then insulate with fiberglass as usual.

EdLongshanks likes this.
  10. bondhu

bondhu 10 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Built my home last year and sprayed insulation . Amazing the difference it made. When they sprayed it was hottest time of last year dropped temp in house by 15 degrees immediately and house was only under lock and key. We would open windows when we left 5 pm and when we arrived at 6 am close windows. The house would hold cool night air until about 2-3 pm with us working in it. finished in October I have not touched thermostat set at 70 degrees electric bill $120 summer or winter 1680 sq. ft. As JD said make sure cross T's and dot I's on electric, coax, hdmi cable..etc.
    Smith insulation in Fleming county They do a real good job and they watch the over spray which is a pain to get cleaned up.
    I looked at tankless water heater's but the numbers dont add up yet. I went with gas water heater $350 lowes and softener and filter $650 from amazon. Good luck

11. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Couldn't agree more!

12. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    J-Town
    We're also building a house with a builder who advertises the energy efficiency of their homes (and has them tested prior to closing to back up their claims) and spray foam was never mentioned. But I know that we just added some insulation to the house I just sold and we considered the spray foam. For less than half of what they could've foamed just the attic, we had traditional blow-in put in the attic to the same R value, PLUS they sealed up the rest of the house--insulated soffits, utility penetrations, air ducts, and anywhere else they could insulate.

Something else I looked at that I thought was interesting was this low emissivity paint stuff you can get that you put on the underside of your roof in the attic. Basically it prevents the roof heat from penetrating into the attic. So it doesn't prevent the loss of heat from your house, but it does prevent the intrusion of heat from the exterior roof. The idea is that it would keep your attic cooler and then in turn keep the rest of your house cooler.

13. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    You may find some rebates offered..from either the manufacturer or utility / gas supplier. No doubt it would help off set cost somewhat.

Which I'm not trying to talk anyone out of going that route.... just giving my opinion here.

Also will say if you presently have a traditional gas water heater ... your a little ahead of the game but disagree that their always an easy install. There's a lot of variables involved that are different than a traditional route to install properly.

In a nut shell .... a traditional gas water heater replacement $300-$500 including whatever needed for the install..fittings, appliance connectors.. etc. Your good for 10-14 years on average. Which most have evolved concerning energy efficiency as well and still using traditional mechanical stat type operation .

Now compare that to a gas tankless system to do an entire house....$1000-$1500 ... not counting transitioning cost. Exhaust, combustion air, water piping mods, additional valves to back flush exchanger ( sometimes sold in a kit)... your good for 10-14 years... hopefully ...as between heat exchanger and electronic control boards that's unknown to an extent. Which most require some control power ..so your probably going to have to run 110v receptacle unless you have one handy in the location.

So my opinion... cost to operate over the years may be somewhat less ..but about the time you break even in operating cost that you have paid for the unit itself & install... your probably ready to replace and spend another $1000-$1500. Where as you could have replaced 3 traditional gas water heaters in comparison spanning 30+ years

Key thing here to me is up-front cost. They work and probably the future of residential domestic hot water. But the cost of the units need to come down substantially to really be a savings.

Which I deal with a lot of commercial application and the pic below is of one installation we did with 8 gas units in a series with two storage tanks with solar preheat. This was a high hot water usage application.

As such this was a green energy project that will never recoup the cost involved... but sure looked impressive.. lol. Most of the units never cycle off and not uncommon to see all 8 units staged in at once.

We could have put one efficient package boiler system and storage tanks for a 1/3 cost involved.

IMG_1603.JPG

14. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    J-Town
    At Home with Gary Sullivan used to talk a lot about tankless water heaters on his show, but I've noticed that recently he has not mentioned them. I don't know if that's because they quit sponsoring him, or if he realized they weren't the saving grace he thought they were based on the calls about them from listeners.

15. Winchester94

Winchester94 Fawn

Mar 21, 2016
    About the tankless water heater, Everyone I have heard that have a gas one are really happy. Not so, with the electric ones. The electric models I have seen use 3, 40 amp double pole circuits, that is a lot of electric every time You turn on a faucet. It may save money on a weekend or vacation place, but not in a home where You live everyday.