Anyone had experience with inflatable fishing boats?

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by EC, Nov 19, 2018.

1. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    I've gravitated from getting kayaks, jon boats and like smaller vessels. I've never purchased one. I've had bass boats and had to deal with the effort of winterizing it, storing it (with a neighborhood whose association will bitch at you for parking one in your yard), etc.

The older I get, the less I want to mess with a 'real boat'. I have the energy, I just don't want to mess with the 'take down maintenance' and hauling one every where. Plus it pisses me off to pay property taxes. So I'm not interested in any engines or trolling motors.

A Jon boat will need a trailer, licenses, a place to store it, engine/trolling maintenance, etc. A kayak MAY need a trailer, but then you gotta shove it on top of the Durango or shove it inside with it dangling out. Plus the garage won't hold one more thing.

I'm looking for something light...to carry around. Some inflatables I see are around 50 lbs or so. This seems compatible. Deflate it and store it away. Plus just pitch it into the back of the car.

Most of my fishing buddies have moved off (or on) and my youngest daughter is about the only fishing buddy I have left--when she's not off to school. So I really don't need much. Just something to haul around by myself...when I go off by myself.

I'm really concerned about popping the darn thing and wonder how durable these things are. I'm guessing windy days could mess with you...but I can see me driving a hook in the thing in the middle of a lake or something and going down with the ship.

Anyone ever used these things?

2. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

I won one once believe it or not at a ice fishing contest for largest gamefish, caught a 8 lb Northern Pike. Supposed to won a ice fishing tent but got the blow up boat instead because someone broke into the trailer at the Ike Walton who put on the contest and that boat was given to them at the last minute. I used it to float some of the smaller creeks and rivers, only tried it a couple times in lakes or ponds. It had several chambers so just one hole wouldn't cause it to sink. Was a pain to air up tho with a foot pump it would take near a hour to get it full. It was about 10 ft long and 4 ft wide and as you said the wind would give you fits. Also depends on the thickness of the fabric if you bump up against a sharp stick or rock. Duct tape can be your best friend to patch holes in a emergency. Just remember like most things you get what you pay for.

3. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    Thanks. That's helpful. Do you remember the name and model of it?

4. JeepComanche

JeepComanche 6 pointer

Feb 8, 2007
    Hopkins Co.
    Just throwing this out there as an option. I demo'ed a Hobie i11s inflatable once and liked it and considered buying one to use at Gulf Shores and save room in the truck. But, the Outback is still working for me for now and didn't pull the trigger. Pricey option unfortunately and perhaps not enough of a boat for you.

EC likes this.
  5. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    I bought an inflatable kayak several years ago. Used it once. Two things that broke me, 1 it don’t track for crap. 2- had about a 10’ gator pop up right beside me. I know who would win that fight and it ain’t me.

EC likes this.
  6. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    rush, ky, USA.
    I've floated the new river a few times on smallmouth trips in inflatable rafts that were great to fish from . These boats were probably a little more than your asking for but very durable and puncture resistant. Sea eagle makes an inflatable that could be more what your looking for .

EC likes this.
  7. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Sorry it has been a long time since I had it and can't recall the maker and model. If I remember correct I sold it for a couple hundred dollars when I got tired of it. If I had need for a small boat again I would look at ones like a Basscat two man type boat. You could hide it in a backyard and not that heavy, but still would need someway to transport it like a small trailer of some kind or pickup. My cousin had one that surprised me on how stable it was with the two of us in it and both of us were 225 lb +. He had a 35 lb thrust trolling motor on it also that moved it well loaded.
    Edit... wife said it was a Sevylor brand but don't recall the model, She remembers things like that while I forget... LOL. I know it was 10 ft 5 inches long and suitable for two adults and sold for around 4 hundred new she said. I would a lot rather had the ice fishing tent they advertised for largest gamefish but a thief must have wanted it more than me. They told me that was the only thing they took out of the trailer they broke into.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
    EC likes this.
  8. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    Thanks everyone for your thoughts. If I get one, I probably will be getting at least a "two-man" as a option for when my daughter wants to go or if the wife wants to go (although she only reads books on boats). Cripes, I had a big pontoon boat on Cumberland Lake once and all she did was read boats on it. LOL The girls fished at least.

9. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 8 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    Lay the back seat of that Durango down and slide a 10 foot jon boat in the back. Not terrible heavy to drag around, especially with two people. Use a trolling motor or paddles. I think anything that you go with that is small is gonna have wind problems. Hell my 18 foot bass tracker doesn't fair great in wind.