Any insomnia sufferers?

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by KYBOY, Mar 1, 2018.

1. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    The older I get the worse it's got. I've worked odd ball shifts most of my life. That coupled with some nasty back problems has made sleep hard to come by. I've always been very leary of sleep meds. Anyone tried anything that helps?

2. JR PORTER

JR PORTER 6 pointer

May 1, 2014
    KNOTT CO. KY
    I'm bout like you I'm leary of sleep medication. I only know one thing for sure when I have a bad cold, I can take a dose of Nyquil and sleep like a baby wife can't believe I sleep so long, so maybe Nyquil zzzz, might do the trick. I've never tried it, it may work, but I'm afraid to try it. My Mom used to take Tylenol PM, but I've never tried that either.

3. baknblack

baknblack 8 pointer

Jan 30, 2014
    Mt Washington
    The generic for ambian is way easier on you than OTC stuff. Non habit forming and, it works. I never had to use more than a half pill. A whole pill and I could not function if I needed to get up for some reason.
    I only used them on days off to get a couple of good nights.

4. Panther45

Panther45 6 pointer

Sep 25, 2013
    Tylenol PM works wonders, especially when you have some other pain issues such as back. Nyquil is my go to when I have a cold. I usually take about half a dose more than what the bottle calls for. It takes me forever to fall asleep and I wake up at least 2-3 times throughout the night. Nyquil or Tylenol PM 30 mins before bed and I'm good to go. If you're having allergy issues, take a couple of benadryl before bed. They work better than Tylenol and Nyquil for me. I do know people that they work opposite on though and make them hyper.

5. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    By the first week on the boat I’m eating 5-6 Tylenol PM every night most nights it works, sometimes it won’t. By the end of the hitch it’s not uncommon for me to just shake out a handful and hope it works. When I get home after coming off a month of midnight till noon shifts I’ve got to take them to get on a regular sleep pattern.

6. HeadedWest

HeadedWest Spike

Nov 22, 2016
    I've eaten some marijuana edibles in the legal states that will help with both the back pain and insomnia. I'm sure you could find some that didn't make you feel "high".

I also have a friend that said those things work where it's illegal too, like Kentucky.

Diet and excersise are the biggest things for me...I'm like my lab, irritable and high strung if I get stuck inside for too long.

7. davers

davers 10 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    Before taking any O.T.C. sleep aids, I suggest one consult your Doctor.

EdLongshanks likes this.
  8. keeruss8

keeruss8 Fawn

Jun 19, 2016
    My mom got it years back and now my sister has had it a few years and I'm starting to deal with it. Mom is doing legal edibles now and loves them and the sister is doing melatonin supplements and swears by them, I think you can find it in any vitamin/herbal place.

9. That’s exactly why Big Pharma pays off our Congress to keep it illegal.

KY Swamp Beagler, davers and Capttrae like this.
  10. rlb165

rlb165 10 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    Magnesium Malate has helped me more than anything else. We get it from Amazon.
    Most magnesium that you see in stores is Magnesium Oxide. A lot of people say that we don't absorb that kind very well.

When I can't get my brain to shut off, I listen to a podcast or something on YouTube. I turn the volume down low enough that I really have to really listen to hear what's being said. Having to focus like that usually puts me to sleep pretty fast.

Good luck.

11. Luther's Feist

Luther's Feist 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2014
    Coeburn, Va
    I took ambient and the generic of it. Have also tried Tylenol pm. If I were you I would stay away from sleep medications. The ambience and it's generic form both made it hard for me to function the next day and I was still up and down all night. I would be up eating or having a conversation with family members and not remember any of it the next morning. They can be habit forming. Do a Google search on them and see what side effects they have and some of the stuff people have done while on them that most don't remember. If I sleep more than 3 to 4 hours a day something is wrong. Been going on a few hours a night for last 20 years. Guess it just doesn't take as long for some to get a recharge

12. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    I am in the same boat you are. I recently started taking Melatonin and it helps me get to sleep. I buy the 5mg tablets, but sometimes I take 2 if I need them. There are 2 main types of OTC sleep aids, the generic names are Doxylamine Succinate and Diphenhydramine HCL. I find that the Doxylamine is the one that works best for me. You have to look at the labels because the "doxy" is not as common as the other one. I take one along with the Melatonin if I really need to get sleepy fast, and within a half hour, I get heavy eyelids. I also suggest you read up on sleep problems, because our daily habits can cause insomnia, too. I had to quit eating anything with chocolate after about 2:00pm and not drink any caffeinated drinks after lunch. If got dumb and did both very late in the day, I was cranked up until 5:00am. Your TV/computer habits can also cause problems in some folks. Everybody is different, find out all you can and try different things.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  13. Farrier85

Farrier85 10 pointer

Oct 29, 2015
  14. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    I've had sleep issues most my life and it really got out of whack working midnights back a few years ago.

So.... I simply use over the counter Benedryl .... which it's primary ingredient is Diphenhydramine as Rivertom mentioned.

Which I have allergy issues as well and the Benedryl being an antihistamine is a plus from that standpoint.

I usually take a minimum of 1 or 2 - 25mg capsule / caplet about an hour before bed time. Which I've never found it to be habit forming or having any after effects as far as functioning the next day. I've been doing this for a long time now and was recommended by my doctor.

But I'll add a disclaimer ...that this is what I do and not recommending it for others. Which I'd suggest they talk to their doctor before taking it ..especially if your on other prescription meds.

15. Farrier85

Farrier85 10 pointer

Oct 29, 2015