Any experience with chestnut trees?

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by EC, May 9, 2019.

1. Munson

Munson 10 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Friend of mine from WV said the same about hickory trees. I think he was squirrel hunting and kept hearing "crunch crunch". It was spread eagle in the tip top chowing down. He was amazed the small limbs held the weight of approx 200lb bear. I won't tell the rest of the story;).. but he HATES bears.

EC and barney like this.
  2. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    That’s real interesting , a lot of people and wildlife depended on those trees.

3. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I was told when my family moved here to KY from WV in '47, a lot of those big dead chestnuts were still standing. Big white skeletons towering and dotting the mountains everywhere.

As a kid walking through the woods, my uncle would point out the big stumps, and rotting logs saying that was a chestnut still standing when we moved here. All remnants of the chestnuts have been gone from here for decades now.

aaronc likes this.
  4. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Are the dunston chestnuts blight resistant? Any drawbacks to them?

5. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 10 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    I have a lil rickety..homemade side table thats been in my family for idk how long. Supposedly it is made from american chestnut..but i have no clue. Its been painted multipile times over the years. I also have a old flouring box thats well over a 100 years old supposedly that is supposed to have some american chestnut boards in it.

6. aaronc

aaronc 8 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield
  7. Bee

Bee 8 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    Up until the last en year I often found live chestnut trees while grouse hunting in the big mountains....generally the largest I would see would get up to about a foot of so in diameter and then the trunk would canker and bark would split and they would be dead in another year or so. Only way I found them was to see the burrs of their hulls on the ground as I walked by and then searched out the trees. They're very rare. Havent seen any of those in a good while( and not any grouse either).o_O

A relative ran one of the largest sawmills in S E KY. in 50s-60s. His FIL always had the loggers bring him any chestnut snags that were fit to be sawn into usable paneling. They still have barn full of some of it. Wormy chestnut paneling, cut in to tongue and grove.

bondhu, Munson and barney like this.
  8. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Strip that table ,and sturdy it up, put a nice clear finish on it ,and you will be surprised ,what it will look like

PUBLIC RAT and barney like this.
  9. Munson

Munson 10 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Wormy chestnut is rare as hens teeth anymore. Used to be a few ppl a year bring some to the shop wanting something made. That hasn't happened in several years.

Dark Cloud and barney like this.
  10. Mainbeam

Mainbeam 12 pointer

Jul 7, 2012
    I have a friend that his wife is very religious. She cracked me up the other day when she started talking about cum trees. I said what are you talking about?!!! She said have you ever driven down the road and got a whiff of a cum tree? I said no i dont believe i have. Come to find out she was referring to a chestnut. Said they smelled just like semen and made her gag lmao. Come to find out the trees contain spermadine or something like that. Not sure of that spelling. Its the chemical that allows sperm to live . I got so tickled listening to her talk about “cum” trees

11. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    So the Dunstons stink too?

12. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    Jeepers!! What happens if you lean up on one?

13. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I started to talk about that as well, but refrained from doing so.

I grew up in an area that had quite a few Chinese chestnuts, and the owners were always self-conscious around visitors during bloom time. When you would knock on one of those owners doors, when they answered the first words out of their mouths would be "that ol' stinkin' tree, I'm gonna cut that nasty thang down". Even though you couldn't smell it, they assumed you had and we're offended by it.:)

Dark Cloud likes this.
  14. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I’ve heard women ,make the same statement,just didn’t want to be the one bring it up, not being able to smell , does have its advantages sometimes .

barney likes this.