Any experience with chestnut trees?

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by EC, May 9, 2019.

1. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    Been thinking about planting two chestnut trees in my yard. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this?

2. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    N/A
    All I know is they grow relatively fast and can produce at 5 to 6 years

And I can't find any locally..

3. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    Don't put Chinese Chestnuts in your yard if you plan on going out there barefoot...

I suppose you and I are a bit old to start experimenting with American Chestnuts, but i would have like to have started that 40 years ago.

TripleGee and barney like this.
  4. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Dad had two chestnuts in his back yard, burrs are dangerous.He hit a burr ,with his lawn mower ,throwed it into the trunk of the tree, well a sticker flew back ,and hit him in his eye, he went to the eye dr. and it liked a very small margin ,going through his eye ball,he didn’t loose it, but if it had went any farther , he would’ve lost his eye

5. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    N/A
    Plant Dunston or hybridized American veriety..

EC likes this.
  6. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    What type?

7. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    Dad had several Chinese chesnuts on the farm when I was growing up.
    a) The blooms don't smell good & when they drop, they stick like glue to whatever they fall on. Some got on my mom's car one year & we like to have never got the sticky things off of it!
    b) Those burrs will leave a mark, whether you step on 'em (they'll draw blood in a heartbeat) or one falls on you. Leather gloves are REQUIRED for checkign them for nuts unless you want sore fingers. (And do NOT try to push them apart with your shoe - if you hit one wrong, the spines will go thru your shoe into your foot - don't ask me how I know...)
    I would NOT advise them in a yard, personally. However, we planted several back in the field behind the house a few years ago. Need to go check & see if they survived...

TripleGee likes this.
  8. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    I was hoping maybe I could find a hardy variation of the wiped out American chestnut variety. If that's even possible these days. I know they've pretty much all been wiped out but thought there was a restoration project going on somewhere.

9. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    Thanks. That's helpful.

10. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    Sounds like the Chinese one's should be avoided all all costs.

EdLongshanks likes this.
  11. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Do your research. There a few older threads on here about them. If i remember correctly these trees are dying after they reach maturity.

12. bigbonner

bigbonner 10 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    My mother had a chestnut tree I her back yard and I hated it because in the spring it would stink ,or to me it did.

Lady Hunter likes this.
  13. jblack1

jblack1 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2005
    Science Hill
    Once upon a time at another residence I had 8 in my back yard and they smell like an old wet dish cloth that's been sitting around for awhile.

Lady Hunter likes this.
  14. Strutter

Strutter Cyber-Hunter

Dec 9, 2001
    USA.
    You drive right by a guys place that has hundreds of nuts and saplings when you go to town.

I have about 50 dunstans and AC's planted at my farm and 20 here at home in pots that I got from the American Chestnut Foundation. They are supposed to be very blight resistant with the ones in a year or so being totally blight resistant.

ojibwa62 likes this.
  15. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Are they producing yet? How long ago did u plant them