Any ever fish Charlevoix lake in Michigan?

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by RLWEBB, Feb 2, 2018.

1. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    I’m planning a trip there at the end of May or first of June. Just wondering if anyone has any experience fishing for smallmouth up there. Thanks!!

2. baknblack

baknblack 8 pointer

Jan 30, 2014
    Mt Washington
    I was up there 30 years ago but, we went out on the big lake trolling for salmon. That was a blast.

3. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers 6 pointer

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville
    You probably want to check out the Bay.

4. bmason

bmason 6 pointer

Mar 31, 2006
    My family vacations there almost every summer. Love fishing the big lake and several others within an hour.

Have you fished it before?

5. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    No, I never have. Looking to go for a week at the end of May or first of June. Want to catch some smallmouth and I think that will be a good place to do it. Or the other lakes close by like you mention. I’ve got an 18’ Ranger bass boat so the bigger water like St. Clair gives me concern. From my research, Charlevoix and the surrounding area should be great that time of year. Good chance for numbers as well as trophy size. I think Michigan has surpassed the south as far as smallmouth fishing goes I believe. Any info you can provide? It would be appreciated.

6. bmason

bmason 6 pointer

Mar 31, 2006
    We stay in Boyne City, so all my experience is on the southeastern end. I fish out of a 1648 war eagle. You'll be fine. Especially in May-early june. The pleasure boat traffic will not be too high. It's likely to be cold. We go close to the end of June and have had freeze warnings. This year we're going June 22 - Jun 29.

The lake is a typical Northern Michigan Lake ... sandy, clear, aquatic vegetation, not tons of structure or identifying lake features. We focus our efforts on fishing water depths of 8-20ft. You can look at google maps and see that the lake drops off very quickly and gets very deep. We fish all man-made rock walls and shallow lake features. Using small tubes or finesse jigs... green pumpkin is best. Thin line... If the bite is hot... crawdad crankbaits... We catch some biggie smallmouth!

I've also fished Walloon, Deer, and Bellaire (best of these 3).

Charlevoix Pier LightHouse/beach at sunset on a clear afternoon!

7. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers 6 pointer

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville

18 ft on Lake St Clair is fine. It is shallow so it can whip up quick but like anywhere just use common sense. The bay area out of Suttons Bay is awesome Smallie area.

8. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    Thank you! We've rented a house in Boyne City for the last week of May. In my research I've come across some good things about Bellaire that you mention. What can you tell me about that lake?

9. Happy Camper

Happy Camper 6 pointer

Oct 26, 2013
  10. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    Thanks for the post Happy Camper. I found that site a couple of weeks ago. I agree it’s a good tool. Like you, I’ve heard that the south arm can be very good for smallmouth. Lord willing I’ll be finding out in a couple of months!!!

11. bmason

bmason 6 pointer

Mar 31, 2006
    Bellaire is a smaller lake. Typical Northern Michigan lake. Shallow (1-2 ft) for 15-30 yds then it drops off very quickly to deep water. Find the 6-20 ft flats and fish. Very little structure/lake contour other than grass. Not as clear as Charlavoix (sp)

12. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    Thank you bmason! Anyone else have any experience with these lakes of the area in general. Appreciate the replys.

13. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    Getting closer to my trip so I’m just bumping this to the top to see if anyone else has anything to add.

14. bmason

bmason 6 pointer

Mar 31, 2006
    I checked the extended forecast today... mid to upper 60's lows in the 40s

15. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    Yes sir, and I can handle that. I think I'm going to hit it just about right. As long as I can catch a few I'll be happy!