Another bait ban proposal?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by KYBOY, May 24, 2019.

1. cedar creek

cedar creek 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2014
    I would not mind them getting rid of corn for bait. I believe it would help out in the long run for all wildlife

2. bird whisperer

bird whisperer 10 pointer

Aug 16, 2012
    Hog Town USA
    Damn Don! I think you hit that one on the head. I tip my hat.

elkaholic likes this.
  3. hunter40502

hunter40502 8 pointer

Mar 5, 2014
    Bracken County
    I personally don't bait artificially, because it doesn't seem like hunting to me. I say "artificially", because I do have clover plots. I would rather the state regulate for a more natural hunting experience rather than doing so for the sake of keeping the herd in check. And if not baiting causes the population to grow too much, then I'd rather increase the bag limit or increase the season dates, but not allow baiting. I'm not criticizing people who want to bait, its just not what I like, that's all.

4. BigPete

BigPete 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2007
    Whitesburg, KY
    I have no problem with KDFW regulating hunting over bait as long as it’s ALL forms of bait.

No hunting within 500 yards of a clover field, alfalfa field, winter wheat, corn crop, turnips, basically any planted crops.

Shoot, while we are at it, let’s ban hunting anywhere near a Autumn Olive, Apple, Persimmon, or White Oak Tree. It just makes “hunting” way too easy to hang a stand near a White Oak that’s raining Acorns.

5. Genesis 27:3

Genesis 27:3 8 pointer

Oct 13, 2018
    Christain county
    Don't forget about the guy who doesn't have crop land to hunt over or a area or tractor to plant food plots.

6. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I don’t care one way or the other, about baiting, I do think it helps spread disease, and attract predators.Never did bait much when I did hunt a lot. I’d say putting bait out ,is cutting in to the bear business ,if baiting is going to be allowed,don’t limit it to just deer, allow for everything .If people can’t set and hunt over bait ,then the bear business is not going to attract ,the big money people, just one old mans opinion .

7. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    rush, ky, USA.
    And don't forget dove Fields that is a case of baiting at it's finest. I'm fine with baiting for about any critter if it's what you want to do.

8. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    I wonder if the auto insurance lobby supports such a ban?

9. aaronc

aaronc 8 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield
    Don't care either way. I personally don't because I don't think it increases my chance of a nice deer.,..and I certainly don't need it to kill any other deer. It's just not for me.
    That being said anything them suit and ties do in Frankfort is not for the good of wildlife related to disease or anything else. It is for their personal points of view and more times than not related to some lobbyist point of view like insurance companies or food plot companies as been previously stated. Don't trust none of them..even though I don't do it I wouldn't give a damn if every turkey in the state was killed over a corn pile,...who gives a shat. Can't beieve our tax money goes to these idiots.

10. rlb165

rlb165 10 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    I wonder the same thing.

Some states have banned baiting in the last few years, while other states have legalized it. If I ever have time, I’m going to try to look at the harvest data from these states, to see how much difference, if any, that baiting actually makes.

There are surveys and studies
    about baiting, but they all suck.

11. Hunter’79

Hunter’79 Fawn

Oct 29, 2017
    Oakland Ky
    If they do ban baiting. I guess on my farm we will have a heck of a season. I usually feed about 15,000 20,000 pounds of corn per year . I’m not going stop . Outlaw it . I’m still going do it .

ojibwa62 likes this.
  12. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    N/A
    Most of the baiting bans are basesd on unproven junk science .. The majority of states that have allowed baiting for years don't have cwd problems. The problem normally arises from unregulated transporting of cervids from one state to another..

Genesis 27:3 and davers like this.
  13. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    N/A
    I find it amusing that you think anyone is monitoring every post on this forum...

I would also bet $$ the number of people who would continue to bait would be higher then 50% probably closer to 75% especially in a state where baiting is as ingrained as it is here in KY.

1wildcatfan and Genesis 27:3 like this.
  14. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    I bet that there will be a lot of people reported to the game warden if they continue to bait if it is outlawed.

15. Hunter’79

Hunter’79 Fawn

Oct 29, 2017
    Oakland Ky
    Opps I spilled it with the combine . Prove it .

1wildcatfan and ojibwa62 like this.