Another bait ban proposal?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by KYBOY, May 24, 2019.

1. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    I heard a bait ban was being discussed at the last KDFWR Wildlife Committee Meeting. Anyone heard anything?

2. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    From an article I read.......
    During the May 10th Fish and Wildlife Committee meetings, an unplanned discussion on banning deer baiting began. It was not on the agenda. One commissioner attempted to move the item forward for a vote at the full Fish and Wildlife Commission Meeting scheduled for June 7th. That would have been less than one month, with no time for public comment.

Other Commissioners, including the Chairman of the Commission, were not in agreement. A sportsman present at the meetings stood up and took exception to moving an unplanned agenda item, that sportsmen and women were not aware would be discussed, so quickly through the commission. After much discussion, the item was tabled for the 2019 deer season.

3. EastKYHardwoodHunter

EastKYHardwoodHunter 6 pointer

Mar 4, 2018
    Beattyville
    Probably wouldn’t stop 50% of the people that do if they did put a ban on it. Wouldn’t stop me, unless there was direct proof it contributed to disease like CWD or blue tongue or whatever else disease will show up in the future

Carl likes this.
  4. elkaholic

elkaholic 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    Maybe letting the bear population explode is the way they are going about banning baiting. Its illegal to feed bears, so let their range expand statewide.

5. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    I would guess that turkeys getting killed 9n the fall over corn is a big concern

6. dabassking

dabassking Spike

Sep 16, 2015
    Central KY
    That’s a heck of an outlook to post on a public forum....

Gooch, Jack Ryan and xbokilla like this.
  7. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2003
    Underground Bunker in KY
    what is 9n

Feedman likes this.
  8. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    Bear is the new priority. Elk were but thank goodness that Is flipping. Hopefully bear will follow suit. Only way elk and bear are going to make more money than deer is them being present state wide. And thst ain’t happening. Come on kdfw, stay course and protect ur money makers, deer and turkey.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    Gooch and rockhousehunter like this.
  9. Cornpile

Cornpile 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2006
    Kornfield County,KY
    I really dont care one way or another.If they do put a stop to baiting, there will be a lot
    less deer killed. Kys trophy status will drop in my opinion. There is not as many crops such as tobacco
    like there used to be,so thats a lot less fall wheat cover crops for deer.Farmers and feed companies would lose a lot of money.
    Many tons of corn are sold and packaged for deer hunters every year.
    People would still kill deer,but would they be able to harvest enough to keep the numbers in check.
    Insurance companies would raise Hell within a year or two,and we already pay them enough money.
    I hunted deer for many years and never threw the first sack of corn.Killed deer most years,but it was tougher
    to do back then.People today,try to cram a lot of deer hunting into a weekend and do not have the time to miss work during the week.
    Would it be better for deer to not bait. I really have not seen a negative effect on deer feeding corn.Deer eat a little then move
    on to browse at other sources.
    Just a deer hunter and these are my thoughts on it.....

10. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Fat fingers

In

Carl likes this.
  11. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Sounds like someone with a hunting operation that puts out large food plots is ticked some neighbor dumped out some corn and done stole his deer... :rolleyes:

xbokilla and elkaholic like this.
  12. INKYHUNTER

INKYHUNTER Cyber-Hunter

Dec 10, 2001
    Bowling Green, KY, USA.
    May have to become hunters rather than shooter’s.:eek:

13. Genesis 27:3

Genesis 27:3 8 pointer

Oct 13, 2018
    Christain county
    I don't feel that feeding corn negatively effects deer.but I do feel it effects people killing turkeys in the fall over corn.

14. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I’ve said this in past posts, I don’t know what it is, maybe they see me, but turkeys never come near my corn when I’m on stand in the Fall. They’ll feed all around and not hit the corn? Now, I have seen them eating it on camera when I’m not there so maybe it’s just me? Maybe numbers aren’t reported honestly but Fall harvest numbers are usually pretty low.

elkaholic likes this.
  15. KYH5N1

KYH5N1 10 pointer

Not only people hunt turkeys around corn piles in the fall. Coyotes and bobcats do too. Corn has become the "crutch" that modern day deer hunters lean on. May be just coincidence but farms that I spring turkey hunt on, if they feed corn in the fall, turkey numbers are way down. Farms that don't corn deer seem to have remained stable in turkey numbers.

BowOnly and cedar creek like this.