albino and piebald?

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by ez, Mar 7, 2003.

1. ez

ez 8 pointer

this morning as i sat at an establishment where they repair your auto i ran across an article that dicussed the fair chase of these animals.
    it stated that now in the state of tenn. that it was illegal to kill and persue these animals with this defect or disability as they so put it...........the indians never killed these animals and considered them as "special" and let them go feeling that if you killed them you would do the "great spirit" a great dishonor.....i have seen a few pictures lately and some comments on how and why how great it would be to kill one of these animals.........a piebald is 1 in 30,000 chance of happening and it did not state the chances of albino.............COMMENTS?????????..........ez

2. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.
    I've killed two piebalds, and sidn't have any troubles with the spirts??? Both were on the same farm in Henry Co. Maybe there weren't any indians around??

3. Larry Carter

Larry Carter 8 pointer

Mar 2, 2003
    Crab Orchard, Ky, USA.
    Other states also have prohibitions on taking piebald or albino deer. That's not a sound biological decision since albinism is a genetic defect normally selected against in nature. I don't know about all indian cultures but the plains indian tribes killed the albino buffaloes. They did prize those hides but never refrained from taking them.

4. Hunt n nut

Hunt n nut 6 pointer

Aug 17, 2002
    I know of a couple of places around here that have an albino or two running around. Personally, I would not shoot one unless it had a nice rack. I would just like to see them live. They are pretty neat to have around, something different to look for. My cousin had a doe that had twin albino fawns hanging out behind his house this summer. As far as we know, both of them made it through season.