Air guns

Discussion in 'Welcome to KentuckyHunting.net!' started by hatsan125sniper, Jul 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Under hunting weapons you have muzzleloader , archery ect but no airgun why is that ?

2. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    California ky
    Low interest. You might be the only person that has mentioned it here since 2005.

3. Maybe if there was a section more people would use it . Air guns are now being used more and more and they are very powerful and very accurate very quite that allows the bag limits to be meet quicker and easier . If you know who can add the weapon would you please ask them to add it .

4. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2003
    Underground Bunker in KY
    I love airguns. My PCP 25 cal will out shoot most 22 powder burners. It is silent and deadly on squirrels. Most people are ignorant on modern air guns. They are not like your 1st Daisy. In KY you can now hunt deer with them. I was ignorant on airguns too until I bought a RWS 54 15 years ago. Dead on accurate.

hatsan125sniper likes this.
  5. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2003
    Underground Bunker in KY
    I also vote for an airgun section. What would it hurt to try?

6. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 8 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    I guess if they have a traditional archery forum might as well throw air guns in there, probably be a dead fourm for nine months out of the year but what the heck, I just don't see a large group of people that would participate in conversation

7. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 8 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    I'm curious though, Hatsan125 sniper what's the big push all of a sudden you've been posting on every fourm on here about shooting everything with an airgun you some type of air gun dealer trying to get your product out? I am not, but the majority of people are laughing at you

Giveem3outdoors likes this.
  8. I 'm a dental Lab tech I make teeth . I'm not selling anything . I want to be able to hunt with a modern air gun just like you want to use a shotgun to hunt turkey or hunt coyotes at night which is not legal in KY for airgun yet . They are cheap to shoot so you can get a lot of trigger pull time for next to nothing , 500 pellets run around 7 dollars for 22 caliber so you can shoot thousands of shots a weekend to keep your shooting skills at the best it can be . They are safe , silent, and unlike shotguns that spray 100 pellets out to 300 yards that miss the Turkey is very unsafe for other hunters in the wood . The single pellet from a air gun is aimed at the kill zone of the Turkey so nothing is flying past the animals and the pellet drops to the ground with in a short distance . Watch the video Carl post he explains a lot about air guns . Great video Carl . I hope the fish and game see this and list a airgun as a legal weapon to use for Turkey and coyotes at night . The section if added will be a place for all airgunners to post there kills and hunts . Like hunts like this There is so much that goes on after the shot that is missed when a shotgun is used for Turkey hunts . But the first step is to add the section to the forum .

9. They are only laughing because they are ignorant to the air gun world . They no nothing about the accuracy and power that can be adjusted to the animal you're hunting for maximum killing power at the distances you are from the animals . They think today's air guns are just bb guns . So let them laugh .They are only showing how ignorant they really are . Watch this video . If you want to get young people off the couch and into the wood with you ,the air gun is the best way to do that . They are quiet, safe accurate,recoil free and at 500 pellets for only 6 dollars it cheap enough so you can spend hours a day letting them practice marksman ship before they hit the woods . A young hunter is not going to want to shoot a loud shotgun that hurts there shoulder's and after a few minutes they will say for get this . But shooting a modern air gun is fun for them and you too. The fish and game people have come a long way in the uses of airguns and I am thankful for this . But they are leaving out Turkey hunting like you see in this video which is the best way to get a young hunter interested in hunting . If you have a young one in your family you want to get out in the woods hunting with you ,teach them how to shoot a air gun .Once you teach them how to shoot and they know they can hit what they are aiming at and they in the blind ready to take a shot on a giant Turkey with a gun they have been practicing with and have thousands of trigger pulls with and they have the confidence they need they will be able to take that big Turkey first shot . They won't be scared of the recoil because its not there they won't be scared of the deafening blast because there is no noise at all . They will enjoy the hunt and want to go again ASAP . So now if we can just get together and ask the fish and game people to take a good hard look at air gun use for Turkey we can start getting our younger hunters off the couch and into the woods or fields . I have looked at the number of hunters that are getting hunting licensees and its decreasing rapidly. This has to change . Allowing this new modern weapon that is safe and effective is a great way to keep hunters in the woods year after year . I just hope the fish and game people see this before our young people lose interest in hunting all together . That is nothing to laugh about . What they need to do is get their heads out of their asses and help me make air guns a legal weapon to use on Turkeys instead of laughing at people that are trying to keep hunting alive .

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  10. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of Western KY
    Here’s a few friendly suggestions:

#1 Tone it down a bit
    #2 Don’t alienate fellow hunters by ostracizing the legal weapon they use to harvest game. There might be some pro-air gun folks that also use another weapon
    #3 Make a good, solid post on your position then sit back and see how fellow hunters respond
    #4 Research how game laws get brought up and passed in KY

I can see how an air gun would have an application for working with young and gun shy hunting dogs, so I’m not opposed.

We are all on the same team. Bees with honey, friend.

11. Let me recap why my tone is the way it is . My question on the Turkey page is
    What is the best way to go about adding a air rifle to be used as a legal weapon for Turkey ?
    Answer :
    KYH5N1:Eat a big meal, drink 3 drinks with some good KY bourbon, go to bed, because the only way that's happening is in your dreams!!! ( not answering the question at all and to me he is being a ass hole )
    Feedman: Can just see it now, someone crawling behind a full strut decoy gets shot with a air rifle pellet. Or someone fanning gets shot. ( talking about air gun hunters as if they are stupid and would shoot at anything that moves and still not answering my question, again someone being a ass hole )
    Meatstick:
    Hypocrite much?
    I assure you, arguing here and whining like a school girl is NOT going to get the law changed. You're barking up the wrong tree in the first place, hoss ( telling people they are whining like a school girl is not a very good idea at all and has nothing to do with my question )
    dirtstalker:
    Hatsan...chill out....just tell us all what gun you are promoting and trying to sale...and give us a chance to mull it over and see if we want to buy one or not.
    Are felons allowed to own/hunt with air guns? Just curious..( do you see why my tone is why it is yet ? You have people like this accusing you of trying to sell something when all you want is to know the best way to go about adding a air gun to be used for Turkey hunting . still no answer to my question )
    beauhunter41031: I'm curious though, Hatsan125 sniper what's the big push all of a sudden you've been posting on every fourm on here about shooting everything with an airgun you some type of air gun dealer trying to get your product out? I am not, but the majority of people are laughing at you. ( again with the dealer and selling something from a can we start a air gun weapons page )
    So now maybe you can see why I have somewhat of a tone . If not go back to the post I started and read the questions I ask and the responses I have received. I don't let people disrespect me . I don't disrespect people unless they have it coming . So maybe you need to have a little talk with some of the members that would rather add comments that have nothing to do with the questions ask not just comments but disrespectful comments . Yes most people have been very nice in there comments and very helpful . It seems I just had a run with some of the members that went out of there way to make comments that had nothing to do with the question asked and seemed to be offended by even asking the question . So thats why I have a tone and why I returned my comments the way I did . If you're not going to answer peoples questions just don't comment at all . You are only taking up space and pissing people off with your options that were not ask for . Let the people that want to help other people comment and life will be great again .

12. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of Western KY
    You can expect a fair amount of negative comments on this forum. Just like in life, you’ll find people with attitudes that you could do without. Interact with the folks who are positive and congenial and forget about the others.

If you really are passionate about seeing air guns legalized then consider this forum as a pilot project because you’ll see just as much negativity, if not more, about new ideas and suggestions in the real world.

My suggestion is to start researching hunting/sportsmen organizations within the state that have opinions on air guns that parallel yours. When you find that group you’ll also likely find knowledgeable people about getting game laws passed in KY.

Use this forum to meet folks that share your options and values and ignore cancerous negativity.

13. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Feedman: Can just see it now, someone crawling behind a full strut decoy gets shot with a air rifle pellet. Or someone fanning gets shot. ( talking about air gun hunters as if they are stupid and would shoot at anything that moves and still not answering my question, again someone being a ass hole )

How in the hell am i being an asshole?????
    Look Numb nuts, How do you know that all air gun users are like you??

We have enough trouble with poachers, trespassers and people shooting from the road as season is now with shotguns an air guns are not going to make it any safer.
    Please explain how all air gun users will practice like you say in your posts and be ethical hunters an super accurate with each shot??
    Please show us where we can buy one of those 300 yard shooting shotguns that you have posted about.

dirtstalker likes this.
  14. Feedman Lets start over . Read this from a shotgun forum page . They talk about the different distances the pellets will travel depending on the load . It was brought up that some hunters were afraid because airguns use a single projectile that is is some how more dangerous than being in the woods with a shotgun .
    My whole point about what I said was to show that with a shot gun shell you have hundreds of pellets coming out of the gun at one time at speeds of 1,300 fps and that not all of them are going to be stopped by the Turkey . In fact with a head shot only a few are being stopped ,so where are all the other pellets going ? That's right into the woods behind the Turkey . Also with a shotgun blast the farther the pellets are from the gun barrel the bigger the area the pellets will take up . What started out as a 2 or 3 foot spray at the Turkey will be a 20 foot spray at 75 yards . So anyone behind the Turkey in the wood has a much greater chance of getting hit with a shotgun pellet than they would a single pellet that has less fps than the shotgun pellets .
    So saying that a air gun pellet is more dangerous than a shotguns pellets are just not true just because of the shear number of pellet being fired at one time .

What people don't understand about the modern air gun is that different weight pellets and different amounts of pressure can be controlled for the animal they are after . So lets say for Turkey hunting since you are shooting 40 yards or less , most of the time about 14 to 20 yards is the average you pick a nice pellet weight somewhere between 14 and 18 grains this is no where near the average 40 grains of a 22 rimfire bullet . A 40 grain 22 lr going 1,200 fps produces 131 fpe . While a 22 cal pellet 18 grain pellet going lets say full power which is 950 fps and thats the top end of any air gun will only produce in 22 cal , only 30 fpe from the barrel and only 20 fpe say at 40 yards .
    Airgun hunter want a good clean head shot thats why the range we shoot is 20 to 30 yard max . We want to bring the Turkey home not miss and watch it walkaway . I think most people don't understand Ft lb energy and they see on the airgun box wow 1,200 fps thats like a 22 lr . But thats not the case at all when you see that they are using a super light weight tin pellet that is about 5 grains so at 30 yards its less than 9 fpe . You can't compare a 9 fpe pellet to a 131 fpe 22 lr bullet .
    I think that is where people that don't understand airguns gets this fear of a single pellet from a air gun thinking its like a 22lr which it is no where close to being . The pellet from a 22 cal airgun because of its low fpe is less than that of a shotgun pellet and there is only one of them being fired at a time . Which means a airgun is really much safer for other hunters in the area than a shotgun .
    Once people understand that I think they will start to see the advantages of using a airgun over a shotgun if they have any shooting ability's at all .
    Air gun hunting is not for everyone. If you want to being home some meat you have to put the time behind the trigger . Being that you can buy 500 pellets for 6 dollars you can shoot a lot and get very good in no time at all . Hunters that choose to use a airgun are not going to waste time going out into the wood and set for hours waiting for a Turkey to shoot at and not know where the pellet is going to go . What would be the point of that ? There is no point so the airgun hunter is going to make sure before they hit the hills they know where the pellet is going to hit at different distances .
    Air gun hunter have to spend time behind the gun because of the drop in the pellet . Its not going to be much of a drop from a 15yard shot to a 30 yard shot but there is some so we have to know where the pellet is going to hit at any given distance . That's why I say all airgun hunters are going to be very good shooters other wise they are not going to hit what they are aiming at

. I don't know many hunters that are going to pick up a gun put a scope on it and not take the time to find out where the pellet or bullet is going to go . If they do just go hunting with out spending time behind the gun well that just a whole different kind of stupid I won't go into here . So yes airgun hunter are going to be very good shots .

I'm going to take KY Swamp Beagler's advice and try to explain airgun hunting to people that just don't understand instead it like yourself Feedman . Knowledge is a good thing so once people understand the air guns value in the wood we as airgun hunter can use our guns to take Turkey like you enjoy taking them with your shotguns .
    And like KY Swamp Beagler said we are all on the same team .
    So for those out there that don't know about air gun hunting please look into this new and exciting way to hunt , you just might find it very challenging and really a lot of fun to shoot because of the ammo cost , its accuracy and its stealthiness. Start off with some squirrels , rabbits , foxes, coyotes ext and see if you like it .
    Wouldn't it be nice to be Turkey hunting with a air gun and you see a coyote , fox or bobcat chasing your Turkeys and you are able to take them out without spooking the Turkey at all ? Think about it .

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=39999

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.