410 pistol ( tc encore) legal?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by Madtrapper1969, Feb 23, 2019.

1. Hello all....
    I have been scrolling this forum and reading posts. ( fantastic forum btw ) and can't stumble across any info on this.
    I did call the dnr down there and they were a bit uncertain with a good answer.
    I am coming down there from Michigan and I am hoping to be able to hunt with my turkey pistol. Please before anybody feels it necessary to diss my decision on my gun, please understand I am very knowledgeable in firearms and turkey hunting. I had a custom barrel made at it will shoot yes loads right along with any long barreled shotgun .
    Now, my real question is this: does anybody know or have a reliable resource as to weather or not I can use it for Turkey's down there.? Your laws read almost exactly as ours do up here, and we CAN use them here.
    I an just looking for a little help with this one... lol
    Thank you all a bunch.

2. Meatstick

Meatstick 10 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    I say you're good man Screenshot_20190223-163509.png

3. I'm gathering that too... just the gray area of it being considered a pistol. ???. Really hate to violate any game laws. I plan on coming down there a fair amount. Really want to bowfish down that way as well.
    Thank you.

4. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    There is an info number you can call bankers hours during the week. Ill try to dig it up for you.

What kind of hunting range do you get out of the shotgun pistol? Sounds like a very handy setup.

5. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    If you need help understanding a law, call 800- 858-1549, weekdays, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m..

6. That's not the same number I called for sure. I will be calling them Monday morning.
    The 410 pistol has a 15" barrel and an extended turkey choke. A bit longer than normal, with the ports further out. Which in turn keeps velocities up a lot. With the tss loads and the powder burn rate they have, there is very little loss in velocity. In fact that little gun patterns and guys right neck and neck with the 24" over under with the same construction choke. In turn, effective range is right there with the rest. As far as ethical common sense still applys. I have no problem with a 40 yard shot with the #9's.. last day of season. I'll guarantee it will do a clean job at 50.

carnivore likes this.
  7. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    I don't see any law that says you cant use a 410 pistol. The question is why would you want too?
    410 killing turkeys @ 50 yards huh? Must be a bad little 410. Alot better then the ones I own.

8. For sure they are. Honestly I wouldn't want to do it, but patterns and the dents in pole barn steel, would leave me every bit of confidence. Much rather have them in my lap and enjoy it for sure.
    Seriously not trying to push any envelopes here, I am however stupid impressed with what the darn little thing can do. So NOT what I grew up with, shooting Turkey's 34 years ago.

Meatstick likes this.
  9. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Well a nice light weight option if it works for ya. Easy to run n gun.

10. I love it.. tucks away and leaves room for long hikes deep into the woods. That and it does tighten your focus a little. Just knowing you need them as close as possible. It brings the whole turkey hunting back around to what I grew up with and love the most. Super close and total interaction with the birds.
    I have bow hunted the grand slam twice. Had the world slam in 96 with gun and bow . This is just a new challange. Hoping to make the beautiful state of Kentucky part of it.
    Thank you all again .

11. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Post some pics this spring!

Madtrapper1969 likes this.
  12. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    Yes please post some pics this spring. Got a pic of the pistol?

13. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    Your .410 is legal in Kentucky. There’s nothing new about turkey hunting with handguns. I remember articles in Turkey Call and Outdoor Life magazines in the late 90’s on the subject. Those guys were using .410 as well and calling them close. With modern loads, I’m sure you’d have a very effective killing range with your TC. Good luck this Spring.

Madtrapper1969 likes this.
  14. Thank you a bunch for the help... I can't wait to get down there.
    Still waiting to get my barrel back again. It's getting some cosmetic add ons done to it right now. Gonna be fun for sure.

15. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Just throwing this out there but I’ve hunted various critters with a T/C Contender since the early 90’s. Mine is a stainless steel frame and for the most part I’ve run 10” inch stainless bull barrels of various calibers. Which I like the compactness of the shorter barrels and when you get past 12”inch.. it gets a little too bulky for my own liking.

One of my favorite barrels is a vent rib 10”inch 410. Honestly can’t tell you how many squirrels I’ve killed with it.. and honestly range / pattern wise it will hold its own with any single shot 410 shotgun. Which I’m going to give a lot credit to T/C for the choke tube engineered for these short barreled guns.

Which I’ve never really thought about turkey hunting with it .. never got the urge. But with a 3”inch high brass #4’s at 30 yds or top of a scaly bark Hickory it wil flat graveyard a squirrel.

I’ve never tinkered with the TSS loads but from my perspective of keeping a reasonable distance ... I think it would be more than capable at 30 yds & under with shorter barrel gun as mine.

A few pics... noting the choke tube in the last two.
    147C2AFF-386B-40D9-909B-968EA7D3D801.jpeg
    BE4D2397-D41F-4597-BB0F-0395502A1C56.jpeg
    108E6BAF-2BBD-4370-B828-261EA80FDC68.jpeg

xbokilla and Dark Cloud like this.