2 choices ...which one....honest opinions please

Discussion in 'Modern Firearms' started by loveofthehunt1, May 17, 2017.

1. need a new deer and bear rifle, dad wants me to pack a 45-70 govt marlin due to being in bear country
    however im scared of the recoil (not ashamed to admit it) due to me being 5ft3 and a buck 30 soaking wet
    im thinking of a browning x-bolt medallion in 270 caliber.
    seen a girl about my height and weight get her collar bone broke by a 45-70 after her BF said "shoot it" it dont kick much...
    any opinions..cause i feel even getting the stock cut down and a mercury recoil tube or lead in the stock ...or porting the barrel just wont cut it...

2. bdbrown66

bdbrown66 6 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    Admittedly, I'm a bit bigger than you (6', 205 lbs), but my Henry .45-70 H010CC is not bad on recoil. It's got a good pad, and the 22" barrel gives it enough weight to lessen the blow. I've heard, tho, that the ones with the brass butt plate kick a fair bit more, and I believe it. The factory Marlin butt pad is pretty worthless, so if you go that route look at getting a Kick-Eze pad or similar to put on it.

If you're just talking black bear, you might want to think about a rifle in .44 mag. Should be plenty of power to handle a blackie, and perfectly good for deer and bear hunting up to 150-200 yards, with much less recoil than a .45-70. Just a thought. I'm partial to the Henry's over the Marlin's, FWIW.

davers likes this.
  3. well bdbrown i thank you very much for your opinion and i shall take it into consideration..my buddy killed a black bear in harlan county last year with a 270 remington 700 bdl and he said his shells were like 140 grains and the bear did run off but he did not go far. i know bdbrown that this may seem crazy to say but jesus christ those browning x-bolt medallions are so darn pretty..lol...i know pretty dont kill, but i cant help it, they are gorgous..i simply figure less recoil...better accuracy..

4. bdbrown66

bdbrown66 6 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    Kind of depends what kind of terrain you're hunting in. A .270 has enough to put a black bear down, but it may not be immediately, as you stated. If you're dealing mostly with wooded terrain and shorter-range shots, a lever gun might be a better option. And there are some pretty lever guns to be had, as well. As I said, I'm partial to the Henry's. Good luck with whatever you decide.

5. RackedUP

RackedUP 8 pointer

Oct 30, 2013
    If you're scared of the recoil and constantly thinking if it then you should definitely choose another rifle. I would much rather have a confident shooter with a smaller but plenty lethal weapon than a scared shooter with a cannon.

6. im hunting in those rough ass mountains in harlan county ky where the land goes up and down up and down

7. yeah racked up my thoughts exactly

8. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Nothing against a 270 ... fine deer round. But the bullet selection when you start mixing in large or dangerous critters ... just better choices.

Which I deer hunted with one for 25 years or more and ultimately switched to a 30-06. In turn ...many talk about a 270 being light recoil.. but I had 2 different rifles in 270 and both kicked like a mule. Fact is switching to a 30-06 I couldn't tell a difference... and maybe the 30-06 seemed a tad better. Which basically the 30-06 and 270 are the same dimension on casing other than the neck sizing. But when you get into the bullet selection and weight ... the 30 cal is hands down a better option.

I also say if your concerned about recoil a 308 would be a good option as well. Short action and on all fronts equal balistically to the 30-06. Both plenty for black bear or multi- big game in general. I'd just give the 30-06 a slight edge concerning factory ammo options.

Just my two cents worth ... good luck with whatever you choose.

9. thank you kind sir and i will keep your opinions in my mind for future reference..seriously...i will

10. 1badDart

1badDart 6 pointer

Oct 30, 2012
    KY
    Look at the Savage Lady Hunter, it's made for smaller stature. I think it comes in walnut too.

11. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    If you can't kill a black bear with a 270, you might want to take up golf, or fishing. They make different weights in 270 bullets, so pick an upper medium to heavy load, sight in your rifle to it, and stick with it. I've always had good luck with the lower priced Federals in the blue box. Shoot your gun enough to be comfortable with it........no gun will do you any good if you can't shoot it well. Good luck!

12. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    Look into the big bore ar 15s.

13. i hate savage rifles...had two savage rifles, one in 25-06 the other in 243..would not hit the broadside of a barn..sold both.
    however, i find it funny that every remington 700 i have ever had..3 shots...perfect zero...savage does not impress me

14. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    In 270....factory ammo is offered in 130,140 & 150..... that's pretty much it.

Which I guess I look at it differently being I like one caliber / rifle to cover a lot bases pending the critters I may hunt. This is where I parted company with a 270 and where a 30-06 allows from 90gr all the way up to 220 grain weights.

That said..... to each their own... and agree a 270 will kill a whitetail, mulie, black bear... even an elk. But its in the bottom realm of options in my personal opinion.

15. well jd it looks like its the 30-06 route for me!..i guess a little extra gun is better anyways...

cedar ridge likes this.