17-18 Kentucky Grouse Season

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by Deadbeat, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Deadbeat

Deadbeat 6 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Frenchburg
    It starts today, I can't wait to see if the birds are up ( :) ) or down this year. I didn't get the survey I typically get but noticed there is one online to fill out. I think I'll try to get out Saturday and take a hunt to remind myself how nice it was hunting up north a couple weeks ago.

2. Jdgrouse

Jdgrouse Fawn

Oct 2, 2017
    Kentucky
    Where might you be located I'm in boyd co.

3. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

I can't remember the last time I heard a grouse drum. Sad.

4. Deadbeat

Deadbeat 6 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Frenchburg
    I live in Menifee County, hunt some private and some public land.

5. Deadbeat

Deadbeat 6 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Frenchburg
    9 mile walk, seen a box turtle and a garter snake. Too many leaves for the birds to get into the thick. Positive note, more acorns than I have seen in several years and berries everywhere.

6. Jdgrouse

Jdgrouse Fawn

Oct 2, 2017
    Kentucky
    I noticed that is seems like we have a great crop of food acorns grapes sumac berries and dog wood

7. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    rush, ky, USA.
    I think the last time I heard one drum was around 2002 . That's about the time I sat in meetings trying to tell kdfwr that there was a problem and we were losing our grouse. Of course them and some of the pros on here notified me that I just wasn't hunting the right type of cover . But never fear the dept. Is on it, 12-14 years to late but hey there trying.

8. Deadbeat

Deadbeat 6 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Frenchburg
    I think it has been 3 or 4 years since I heard one drum in Kentucky. I heard 2 drumming in Wisconsin this year, went and got a point on one of them but the tree worked as a good wall of safety.

9. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    I heard one drumming just lastd month. I probably will run dogs there but don't think I'll kill more than one this season. NO point in exterminating the few survivors.

10. Happy Camper

Happy Camper 6 pointer

Oct 26, 2013
    After modern gun and it cools down i will start walking my setter in the woods. Planning on buying quail to set out for the setter a few times this season just to have something for him to point.

11. KY Grouse Hunter

KY Grouse Hunter 6 pointer

Nov 2, 2007
    Southeastern Kentucky
    Want to hunt grouse in KY? Here is the "DIY" on how to get started!

1. Buy dog.
    2. Go north or buy quail.
    3. Sell dog.

Happy Camper likes this.
  12. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    3 hours this morning in a 12 year old clearcut regrowth that held 1 bird last year. None seen.

13. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    I guess I'm back to reality. 3 hours also in a clear cut that's about 10 years old. 2 dogs an a hunter criss crossing from the creek to the top bench. Not a sight nor sound. Pitiful.

14. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    I at least got to the bottom of my dog's neck abscess. We were hunting and I petted her and noticed her knot had a scab. Looked closer and it wasn't a scab. I got the Leatherman scissors in there and she let me open it up and I pulled a chunk of wood out of her hide that was 1" long and almost that wide. She'd run into a log at some point and a big sliver broke off deep in her neck. Antibiotics have kept it under control for over a month but it never would go away. It will now.

bondhu, JonDunn, barney and 1 other person like this.
  15. Lucky Dog

Lucky Dog Fawn

Feb 2, 2017
    Changed my name from Lucky Dog to Red Dog as I can't seem to get the hang of logging in. I harvested my first bird of the season today with Lucky pointing and my 18 week old female backing. It was a large male which seems to be what I mostly see. Had a couple of points yesteday but no birds. I pointed and flushed two a couple of days ago. The numbers are definitely no better than last year and may be worse but the woods are extremely dry and warm which makes it difficult to pattern birds. So far quail numbers also seem to have taken a hit. I am not finding them as much in some of the strips. A lot of grain is still standing which makes it impossible to hunt until harvest. It was bittersweet to harvest a grouse but I was proud of my pup that had only been on birds on Miller Welch. Nothing makes a dog better than wild birds and it becomes exceedingly harder each year. The Kentucky River RGS group is looking to back a study on chick survival. It may not change things but may give some better answers. Across the country it seems as if more researchers are focusing on West Nile and to me it seems as the wwarmer weather we are experiencing is a contributing factor across the country The year before last year it seemed to me that numbers were increasing as I could move 4-6 a day and this followed a couple of colder and snowier winters then the winters left us and it seemed as if the biggest crash happened then. We would like to get as much support and involvement of all grouse hunters to address all issues and hopefully move forward as best we possibly can. If you are like me you have also seen a huge decrease in wild turkey populations as well. Another area that may need exploration is tick born diseases. It seems as if I pick up a deer tick every time I hunt in the woods. There has to be some common threads somewhere.

bondhu likes this.