10 Vintage Gun Ads that would be Banned in 2017

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by EC, Aug 14, 2017.

1. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    These aren't all toy ads in this article, but I remember I really wanted this Johnny Eagle "M-14", but my parents said it was too expensive. And in those days, most people mowed their own yards and didn't pay for it. So I was nixed out of buying it myself. LOL

They also had a toy "50 cal" machine gun I wanted, but like my mom told me...that thing costs what I spend on groceries for two weeks. It was like 20 bucks or something. I think it was called "Gung Ho" or something like that.

===========================

10 Vintage Gun Ads that would be Banned in 2017

Gun ads have changed with the times.
    Political correctness is certainly not the name of the game in these classic pieces of gun marketing. It was just plain old fashion advertising back in the day.

10. Hammer the hammer? Lawyers wouldn’t come within a football field of this one.
    Of course, hammering on a vintage revolver probably is a bad idea anyway…
    [​IMG]

9. Oh no, that guy is teaching his son how to hunt, you say?
    Where are their iphones, video games and couch? Well, buddy, this is how a father is supposed to raise his son to be a man, not a bump on the couch of life.
    [​IMG]

8. A .22 rifle as a Christmas present? Well, that certainly is becoming quite a thing of the past, sadly.
    [​IMG]

7. The iconic Red Ryder BB Gun is the first “gun” for many of us. I still have mine!
    [​IMG]

6. A woman defending her family, life and property with a handgun is a politically incorrect thing.
    [​IMG]

5. Oh no, that kid has an toy fully automatic M-16 rifle!
    [​IMG]

4. A kid’s first BB Gun was the first step of many to becoming an adult. The responsibility taught will last a lifetime.
    [​IMG]

3. Oh no, this family is out shooting a gun. Better get that boy to his “safe space” ASAP.
    [​IMG]

2. This armed Santa Claus has a sleighload of Stevens firearms.
    [​IMG]

1. Boys armed with realistic toy guns? Yes, we had them, and never did we ever think to point one at a police officer.
    [​IMG]

There you have the 10 gun ads that would never have made it in 2017. Wondered if the future generation will have a chance to enjoy like what we had. (for us older folks)

http://americanshootingjournal.com/10-vintage-gun-ads-that-would-be-banned-in-2017/

Gooch likes this.
  2. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    Wow! I found the old Johnny Eagle commercial. I had forgotten that it came with a .45. I still want the M-14! LOL

More wow!! And I also found the machine gun. It had everything. Helmet, maps, .45, mess kit, grenade, etc. I also remembering we kids laughing at "Chunky" on the commercial chowing down on beans with the mess kit.

3. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Wow. Sure shows how things have changed.
    Wonder if anyone has an old Phillip Morris clip or one of Earl Campbell playing on the beach with a can of Skoal?

4. SmokeShow

SmokeShow 8 pointer

Nov 11, 2013
    I had a Daisy that looked just like the one in ad 4.

After seeing that M-14 ad, I want one of those now. Like for me. I'll get my 3yo boy his own. LOL

5. shaman

shaman 8 pointer

Jul 20, 2004
    Neave, KY, USA.
    The Johnny Eagle Big Game Hunter was in my collection in 1967. It had cartridges that were spring loaded. You inserted a bullet and you could get maybe 15 feet. It also had a scope.

[​IMG]

I got the Mattel M16 in 1968. It would jam, just like the real one and there was a foreward assist that would let you keep going. If you look closely in some scenes in "The Green Berets," John Wayne and all the Americans are carrying Mattel M16 Marauders with the Mattel logo blacked out with electrical tape.

My alltime favorite was the Mattel TommyBurst. It would go through a roll of caps quicker than anything out there:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  6. davers

davers 10 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    I had at one time, while growing-up all of Mattel's "Shootn'-shell" guns. Don't know what happen to them though.o_O My Brother-In-Law still has his belt buckle Shootn'-shell Derringer.

7. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    I don't remember anything about the Mattel M16 for some reason. But I do remember I didn't care much for the styling in those days.

I did have a Tommy Burst Thompson. I always loved those Thompsons--the real ones. So that was my preferred "weapon" (LOL) whenever we played Army. My mom probably got it at a yard sale--like she did for my Johnny Reb Cannon.

I had another that I remember getting for Christmas. It was a M1 with a grenade launcher. I can't remember the name of it. But there's a picture of me by the Christmas tree using a stuffed Collie dog as a sand bag. LOL

I found the Johnny Reb Cannon commercial. As I mentioned, my Mom got this at a yard sale, so it was just the cannon. I didn't have the flag, cannon ball or the plunger. If you notice in the very beginning of the commercial, there was an aluminum tube in it's barrel--I'm assuming it was spring loaded, where you'd plunge the cannon ball down. But since I didn't have the cannon ball, I would insert bottle rockets in the tube and fire those out. Much better range I'm sure and the "enemy" would run away a lot further when those bottle rockets were accurate on their positions. Their moms were always complaining at me when I'd shoot at their little soldiers though. LOL

8. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    Can't find one with Earl Campbell, but there's Phillip Morris. I remember watching Fred Flinstone lighting up a Winston...LOL!

It's not exactly the Phillip Morris commercial, some kinda weird music video, but it's the little guy calling for Phillip Morris. That's the best I could find right now.

bondhu likes this.
  9. LoneArrow

LoneArrow 6 pointer

Jul 21, 2016
    This may be the most fun post I've read in a while.

10. papason43

papason43 Fawn

Sep 9, 2017
    Lenoxburg KY
    Number 8 looks like my Remington 550-1 I received for Christmas soooo long ago. It even had a scope on it (if you want to call it that). Checked with Remington and learned that it was mfg in 1957. Its still in pretty good shape after all these years.