Why use a Butt Out Tool?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by hunter82, Nov 6, 2009.

1. hunter82

hunter82 6 pointer

Nov 4, 2008
    Franklin County
    Just wanted to see how many people use the Butt Out Tool when field dressing a deer and what are the advantages to using one. I personally have never used one before.

2. I've used them. I like it because it keeps me from having to break the pelvic bone or saw it. I don't have to worry about sticking my hands around a sharp broke off bone. Just me personally. I know people who refuse to use them.

3. KyBucks10

KyBucks10 12 pointer

Dec 5, 2008
    Burgin, Kentucky
    this is what Combat Triad thinks!:D

4. O'Brien

O'Brien 8 pointer

Oct 28, 2008
    Boone County
    To all critics....use it once and you will realize you were wrong. Awesome tool!!!!!

5. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    I've never used the Butt Out and you don't have to break or saw the pelvic bone. Just get in there with your pocketknife and free up the chute and pull it back inside with the rest of the stuff.

Don't make it harder than it is.

6. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    The one major advantage that I can see to it would be that you are assured of not busting the bladder with your knife blade.

Other than that, I am sure that it works fine but I don't really see the need.

7. BunnyBuster

BunnyBuster 10 pointer

Aug 21, 2005
    Garrison, KY
    I've never used one and probably never will.

8. It keeps poopy off your fingers!:D

It works super. I second the notion that there is absolutely no reason to be hacking apart a pelvic bone. Never understood that one but each to his own. Everything can be gotten out easily without going there.

9. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 10 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    What he said.......

10. anvil

anvil 6 pointer

Sep 27, 2009
    LMFBO I thought you all were kidding butt your not ( no pun intended)
    I had to do a serch on this one and even found a video on how to use it HAHAHAHAHAHA
    Now i have seen it all..
    http://www.wanderings.net/notebook/Main/ButtOutFieldDressingTool

PS
    make sure to clean your knife real good before cutting up the carcus..

11. anvil

anvil 6 pointer

Sep 27, 2009
    Hay i wounder if it works on inlaws or that neighbor that allways comes over and helps his self to your last beer/soda?
    I showed to my wife and she said how can sit there eat dinner and watch that? I never gave it any thought my self.

12. TedB

TedB 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2005
    Nicholasville
    I think they are good for a certain kind of hunter, I'm just not that certain kind.

I helped a guy bloodtrail a deer earlier this year. We finally found the deer and I held the light and leg for him while he gutted it. Before he started gutting it he pulled out his fanny pack with orange shoulder length gloves, huge lock blade knife and the good old BUTT OUT!!!!! Besides it taking him close to an hour gutting the deer, in the rain, starting at the sternum, busting the guts in several places because his knife was too big the biggest laugh came when he reached up to cut out the heart and got blood on his pants. "Dang, my brand new camo." Why bother if you're worried about getting a little blood on you? I can free a deer of it's butthole in about 4 seconds with a pocket knife.

Just follow Trust Me's simple instructions, no pelvis cutting and if you're careful no bladder busting.

13. wardenofgame

wardenofgame Fawn

Dec 16, 2008
    elsewhere
    I was skeptical about it too but tried and it works great and definately a time saver.

14. Combat Triad

Combat Triad 8 pointer

Sep 16, 2008
    Flatwoods, KY
    I'll stick with my original assessment. I never saw the pelvic bone and I don't need any tool to help me gut a deer other than my pocket knife. But if it makes you feel better, then buy all the gizmo's and gadjets you want.

15. mev1977

mev1977 6 pointer

Aug 17, 2006
    Kentucky
    Heres an idea!!!

I makes a great handle to pull your deer out of the woods if it don't have antlers.:)

16. rangerman2003

rangerman2003 8 pointer

Oct 4, 2005
    ZONE 1
    besides being another object to haul in and out with, I wanna know who in their right mind is going to place it back in their pack after sticking it in a deers butt... No thanks Ill stick to the tried and true method

17. Cornmonkey

Cornmonkey 8 pointer

May 17, 2009
    east ky.
    My huntin buddy carries a 2" bucklite and has cleaned atleast 8 to 10 deer with it, and dang that boy can skinum like yanking a hot scock off. Very quick, anyone who wants to use all the bells and whistles, why not if they like them.

18. hunter82

hunter82 6 pointer

Nov 4, 2008
    Franklin County
    Thanks for the replies, I think I'm just gonna stick with the old Buck Knife for now too, I typically don't break the Pelvic bone myself, just try to be real careful not to cut anything I'm not suppose too.

19. jfrench

jfrench 6 pointer

Feb 16, 2008
    Seymour Indiana
    I split the pelvic-bone to get them on the hanger. Just the thought of buying that thing makes me laugh but have at it if you want.

20. buckfever

buckfever 12 pointer

I don't know how the butt out works, but I either just cut out the butt and pull it back through or saw the pelvic bone. Neither method takes a whole lot of work.

I will say that Gerber made a handy little saw with a 4" blade that worked great on pelvic bones. My buddy left his in my truck, and I quickly claimed ownership of it.

For several years, I used it to cut the pelvic bones and "de-butt" a whole lot of deer. I no longer can find it (danged thieves or on second thought, maybe my buddy re-confiscated it from me :D), so I'm back to either cutting the butt out or simply sawing through the bone with my pack-saw.

Neither one poses any problems for me, so I'm not sure why I need the butt-out. :confused: