Why rooster fighting is banned...

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Tim T, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Tim T

Tim T 12 pointer

Mar 29, 2007
    Shepherdsville
  2. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    I thought that it was legal in KY but the gambling and other things that go along with it were illegal.

I know where there is a pretty large bunch of game cocks being kept. I have no idea what he does with them.

3. BadDuck

BadDuck 12 pointer

Aug 13, 2007
    Bullitt County
    All one has to do is take a drive down my road to see all the roosters he wants to. If cockfighting isnt legal, I know alot of people who sure are brazen about it.

4. Xi Bowhunter

Xi Bowhunter 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2002
    Goetz Farm
    There is a place right outside of Litchfield on the main road going to Lake Nolin that houses around 50 fighting roosters right next to the road. You drive past the place and just know what is going on there.

5. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 10 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    ive seen that, the roosters live in the big blue drums right?

6. yotehunter

yotehunter 6 pointer

Oct 10, 2010
    Kentucky
    Its not illeagel in Ky

7. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    only 50, Xi?? Thats a small pidling operation around here..I dont look off the road anymore unless its 200-300 roosters and operations that size are everywhere..
    I dont do it, but I personally know guys who make more in a month during the season on roosters than Id say any two of us on this board makes..Im talking five digit numbers a month..Mexicans and cubans are up this way all the time buying roosters..Usually about $5k-$10K worth at a time..No joke guys, its a big money game..

8. GSP

GSP 14 Pointer Staff Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    I took this picture one day coming in from hunting. Not far from where KYBOY is talking about. I figure if they had to put up a sign, it must have been a problem at one time.

[​IMG]

9. Xi Bowhunter

Xi Bowhunter 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2002
    Goetz Farm
    Those would be the ones!

10. Buck_Nasty

Buck_Nasty 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2009
    Laurel County
    We got those lush rooster motels everywhere around here. As someone stated, I don't think that it is illegal to fight them in Kentucky, only the betting is illegal. I know there was a big bust in Mt. Sterling a while back at one of the largest operations in this part of the state. However, I think there was more going on there besides chicken fights. Could be wrong though.

Also was a big ordeal done by the Humane Society that got the KSP some heat a while back when an on duty trooper was filmed attending the fights. I think the place got shut down after the airing of the video, but I believe the only reason that happen was because of the heat being placed on the agency by the humane society. I'd say it's back up and running now.

Here's an old article on the story: http://www.fox41.com/story/12032936/video-shows-ksp-trooper-at-illegal-cockfight?redirected=true

Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
  11. TripleGee

TripleGee 12 pointer

Sep 13, 2003
    Somerset
    Back when I worked(?) with the US Postal Service, we shipped many roosters out by Express Mail and all over the country. A guy in McCreary Co. raises them and paid hundreds to ship them. You KNOW he made hundreds more from them. Good business in KY I guess.

12. Buck_Nasty

Buck_Nasty 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2009
    Laurel County
    There is big money in game chickens if you get good stock. I knew some fellows here in London who raised game chickens for professional boxer, Roy Jones Jr. He would come in from Georgia or where ever he resided and pick them up when they got a certain age.

13. TripleGee

TripleGee 12 pointer

Sep 13, 2003
    Somerset
    Wonder if anyone in London tried to pick a fight with him? He's one bad little dude. Hit a man twenty times before I hit him, correction, swung all the way through one time. Super fast hands. Don't think many folks argued at the chicken fights much either. "Yeah Roy, you're right. Your rooster DID win. I KNOW it's just playing dead."

14. Buck_Nasty

Buck_Nasty 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2009
    Laurel County
    LOL. Hands quicker than instant coffee.

15. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    I know three guys that got tickets at that fight, never paid a penny in fines..Several lawyers attend the fights too...The same guys split $25k in winnings at that fight the year before..Its pretty normal for them to pocket a couple of grand every weekend at the fights..
    Every stag gets special food, vitamins and purified drinking water..Better "care" than most house pets..That is until a gaff rips its gizzard out, or its decapitated by a knife..

16. Buck_Nasty

Buck_Nasty 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2009
    Laurel County
    I used to attend them regularly when I was younger. A friend of mine from school raised them and fought them at several places. I seen a guy about lose his thumb one night trying to separate two. I've seen fights go on for a long time and I've seen them end on the first break. My friend fought mostly hatch kelso's, claret and on occasion he would pit some pure Grey's.

17. TripleGee

TripleGee 12 pointer

Sep 13, 2003
    Somerset
    My dad, the "luckiest drunk in the world", took me to a few fights when I was a youngster. I still remember 100 people crowding into a small barn, beer and whiskey aplenty, everybody smoking (amidst all that alcohol and hay) and the "ring" lined by hay bales, no cage of any sort. Dad pulls out a $100 dollar bill and yells; "I bet a hunnert dollars that that chicken kills t'other'n on the first lick!" We ate GOOD that week. No chicken either.

Another time during a "fit", one rooster took to his nature and "chickened out" and tore out that barn door and up the hill in the woods. Well, pretty soon I see this feller walking up in the woods cussing a blue streak and carrying an old single shot shotgun. A few minutes later, "BLAM"! Pretty soon, down the hill the guy comes, still cursing and still packing the gun along with a set of "unused" spurs.

18. Buck_Nasty

Buck_Nasty 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2009
    Laurel County
    The place I used to watch them at set on the hill overlooking a large farm that contained two paylakes. Although I never fished there because the lakes were pay by the pound. And with the quality of fish that were in them, one fish and you would be out some change. I was told, but never witnessed it that the guy who owned the building where the fights took place, gathered up the dead roosters following a weekend of fighting, plucked and quartered them, than fed them to the fish in the ponds. I can honestly say I've see the fish people caught out of those ponds and they were some serious pole breakers.