Why is gun season in rut?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Rodeo man, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Rodeo man

Rodeo man 8 pointer

Aug 31, 2011
    This question has probably been asked here before sorry. I hunted with my son this morning. He passed on several small bucks, and countless does. We saw one big 8. I don't know if bedded down, on it's approach or what, but it disappeared like magic. Anyway he's 8, and killed a small buck last year. I wouldn't get it mounted. He is waiting for one I will let him mount. I am no hunter whatsoever. I did enjoy taking him turkey hunting last year, but deer hunting bores me beyond words. When we left the woods for lunch I saw many people with 1.5 year old bucks in their truck. I know people hunt for meat, and various other reasons. No more than I know about the sport/hobby it occurs to me if everybody waited for a nice buck, there would be more nice bucks. Why is gun season during the rut. I bought a gallon of paint at TSC yesterday, and there were people buying everything to go hunting with, most were even buying corn. It was evident to me these people aren't sportsman. Having it during the rut seems to promote the casual hunter, and deflate the serious. Just my observation.

2. mev1977

mev1977 6 pointer

Aug 17, 2006
    Kentucky
    Because the big boys let there guard down and they are more visible..Unfortunatley the small guys are even more visible and some people that dont have much property or dont hunt otherwise get excited to see a deer with horns and so they get shot..But I would say overall its because the deer activity is at a peak most times and thats why the gun season is in the rut,,Kinda like why spring turkey season is when it is..

3. MKFrench78

MKFrench78 Fawn

Sep 3, 2012
    To control deer populations. As mentioned earlier MOST every critter season is during peak mating times for that critter. Split-tail=TROUBLE! Surprised I haven't been shot or hit by a car chasing it myself. You can't eat bone and you can't tell people what they should shoot...unless they're hunting your property. Most will agree with you about shooting does for meat and let the young bucks walk but not everyone has the luxury of being picky.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  4. mikeyj

mikeyj Spike

Mar 4, 2009
    Adair Co.
    I think the reasoning behind it is like mev1977 stated. Activity is at it's peak and it is the best way to help control the population.

5. farmertom

farmertom 8 pointer

Jan 21, 2011
    I think im gonna puke if one more high and mighty tells me what kinda deer to shoot. I would be ashamed of myself if my daughter killed her first deer and I wouldn't mount it for(provided I had the money)

6. M-O-N-E-Y! It generates revenue.

7. closingthedistance

closingthedistance Fawn

Jun 16, 2009
    I personally don't mind people shooting young bucks, that way these guys that aren't really hunters will go home. Every year four wheelers running everywhere, poachers riding the roads, guys walking around instead of actually hunting, etc. Today was more like a circus than hunting.

8. Rodeo man

Rodeo man 8 pointer

Aug 31, 2011

You would really have a lot to say, if you heard me promoting a land owner only season.

9. sniperflash

sniperflash 6 pointer

Sep 14, 2011
    berea ky
    First off I have two nice deer on my wall and I passed three small bucks today. I just don't under stand some one who is not a sportsman would know what a trophy is to someone. If somebody killed a spike that is what they wanted that is what got their heart pumped so they can kill what ever they want. Just go and enjoy your time in the woods and kill what you see fit. People like to kill soothing every year and if you wait on a big buck guess what that don't happen every year so just congratulate them and go on that's all we can do

10. ggodwin

ggodwin 10 pointer

Nov 16, 2009
    Boone County
    I dont recall when the dates were changed but it used to be 1 week earlier than it is now. I am mainly a bow hunter and I have spent the last 16 days in a tree. I have had countless 1.5 come into shooting range. Several 3.5's and one what I would call shooter. He was 60 yds away mating with a doe. If gun season can in during the the pre-rut we would not have the quality we have now. I am just happy that they have moved it back. Because right now is very hard to get a mature buck.

11. Rodeo man

Rodeo man 8 pointer

Aug 31, 2011
    I see your point. He has some bucks on trail cam picked out that he wants.

12. Rodeo man

Rodeo man 8 pointer

Aug 31, 2011
    He killed a big 8 this morning. I'm glad he waited. If I figure out how to post pics I will.

13. sniperflash

sniperflash 6 pointer

Sep 14, 2011
    berea ky
    Im not bashing him its good that he wants a good one and im glad he held out for the eight can't wait to see pics

14. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    I dont think it happens during the rut every year just depends on the weather. They dont plan seasons for us hunters they do it to reduce the heard to management numbers for a numerious amount of reasons. But like said if gun season falls during the rut there will be awhole lot more bigger bucks killed then if it happend before or after ther rut.

15. Poppie

Poppie Banned

Sep 11, 2012

I would so totally agree !!!!

16. Rodeo man

Rodeo man 8 pointer

Aug 31, 2011
    I don't think anyone was bashing. Everybody likes something different. If we wanted meat it would have been a young doe. Just to shoot a buck, a basket. He wanted one to mount. I bought him trail cameras, and let him go to work. I started following this forum to self educate 1. To lease farms and manage them better. 2. To also help my son with his hunting endeavors. I would rather be any where than hunting, although I did enjoy turkey hunting. Some day he will be able to go without me. This site is very informative. I hunted as a teenager a little, never after that. I just sat in the edges of a bean field. What little I know, I have learned here. For me it's about managing the deer. I want big ones for my hunters, and my son on the farm he hunts. I still think there would be more big deer if more people waited for a big one. Just my 2 cents.

17. funky split brow's

funky split brow's Spike

Jul 29, 2010
    Calloway Co.
    Some of the most consistent states at producing quality mature deer all have firearm seasons either before or after the rut, except Nebraska who has a firearm season half as long as ours. Kansas has a firearm season before rut, and after. Nebraska has only a week long firearm season during the middle of November, Illinois has only a 3 day firearm season in the middle of November and another 3 day season nov 30- dec 2. And Iowa, the so called land of the giants, has two separate weeks of shotgun season in December. These states are doing something right, but this is completely just an opinion. Ky gun season needs to be shortened, pushed back to late November early December or do a 3 day weekend mid November and like a 9 day season early December. I do believe the youth seasons are perfect for Kentuck as well as muzzleloader. Again, this is just my opinion. I may have left out muzzleloader season in those states as I feel they have a minimal affect on the population.

18. Rodeo man

Rodeo man 8 pointer

Aug 31, 2011
    My thoughts exactly. My son had a morning blind, and an afternoon blind based on his trail cam pics. I'm sure rut made his chances better, but he did do some homework. The rubes in TSC buying a bunch of crap last minute will probably get lucky as well due to the rut. They'll kill an immature deer with a lot of potential.

19. MKFrench78

MKFrench78 Fawn

Sep 3, 2012
    Kentucky is one of those "consistantly producing" states