What age is appropriate for a BB gun?

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by duckslayer870, Jul 12, 2012.

1. My boy is five and I let him shoot a friends 10/22 the other day and loved it. I dont think he needs a 22 yet but do you think 5 is to young for a trusty Red Ryder?
  2. 300winmag

300winmag 12 pointer

Sep 1, 2009
    The earlier the better in my opinion, a lot of kids learn firearm safety from their first BB gun. Let him have at it and post up some pics of some cats he stings:)
  3. gobbl4me

gobbl4me 10 pointer

Apr 10, 2005
    Lyon Co.
    My boys were 5 and 6 and my daughter was 4 when they got theirs. I was always with them when they got to shoot them and we never had any accidents and it is a good way to ingrain gun safety into their young minds, before they figure that they know everything
  4. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    two of mine were 5 and one was four when they started
  5. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    Never too early to start him on a BB gun. Teach him safety and keep it locked up so he can't get to it when you're not around. I got my first BB gun, a daisy, at age 4, my first .410 at 7.
  6. philipfleek

philipfleek 12 pointer

Feb 24, 2008
    philville, KY
    Mine got theirs when they were four and five. Three months later a 22. Chase is 14 now and has a 308. Start em early and keep em shooting.
  7. BR1

BR1 8 pointer

Apr 8, 2012
    I gave my son a Red Rider at that age.
  8. Wildcat

Wildcat 12 pointer

Jan 7, 2002
    Ledbetter, Ky.
    It all depends on the parent and the kid. I've known one guy that gave his daughter a BB gun when she was 3 years old and anohter gave his son a BB gun when he was 8 years old.

Ask yourself, can he learn and UNDERSTAND the safety rules, do you have the patience to keep at it and not get upset and he will learn? if so then by all means do it or wait a year or two.

One last thing. Up front, get his MOTHER involed in it from the begining that way all of you will be on the same page and help each other without any problems. I've seen dozens of parents get in a fight over a BB gun and the kids, the dad comes home with one and never tells the wife at all, that's when the problems start.
  9. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    You are in for so much fun. I can still remember getting my first BB gun for my birthday, the first bird I shot with it, my first squirrel with dad's 12 gauge, my first rabbit on christmas morning 1970 with my new .410, first quail, first dove, first deer,.......Dad remembers them all as well. You and your son are set for some great times and memories. Enjoy, but don't blink. He'll be 15 before you know it.
  10. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    I got my first one at age 5.
  11. nateb440

nateb440 8 pointer

Nov 8, 2011
    I got my boys (5 and 4) bb guns for Christmas. They were the Daisy grizzly. Very weak but a gun nonetheless. I can see the arc of the bb as you shoot. I think my bow is faster. My oldest got his first kill after I flushed a mouse out of the tractor. Five shots later and he was proudly holding up his first kill...then I made him eat it. J/k.
  12. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    gotta eat what you shoot! LOL
  13. nateb440

nateb440 8 pointer

Nov 8, 2011
    Come to think of it, I got my first bb gun when I was pretty young. My dad set up an indoor shooting range in the basement complete with a moving train with little cut outs of deer and elk. My first "kill" was a possum in the drive way. It was the dead of winter in Ohio and My dad woke me up and said "get your gun!" I snuck around and hid behind the dog house and put ten or so rounds into him...I finally got the nerve to go see if he was dead and when I got up to him I found all ten rounds laying in front of him. They had bounced right off of him cause he was frozen solid! Haha. BB guns make for some good memories! Go for it!
  14. new guy

new guy Banned

Jun 30, 2011
    deep in the mountains
    around 2 months of age should be old enough.:)
  15. DRS

DRS Banned

Mar 3, 2010
    I received my first BB gun at age 10.
  16. Manhattan

Manhattan 8 pointer

Jan 11, 2011
    I got my first BB gun when I was 9. My little brother was only 6 and he got one as well. We both got one of those "Red Ryders" But we only got to shoot em "Under Adult Supervision" Dear ole dad made it clear those were not toys. Gun safety was the one thing he really pushed. I reckon to this day getting a BB gun when I was young and having my dad supervise me has made a safer gun carrying camper. So I would say "yep" to getting a son or daughter a BB gun if you will take the time to teach them how to safely handle it. I guess dad thought he had instilled enough gun safety on me so when I was 12 mom and dad gave me 410 for my birthday. So I guess what I'm trying to get at is "Supervision" and safety. Just sayin....Bob
  17. rock802

rock802 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2005
    primrose ky.
    I gave my son his first at 5 and his first 22/410 at 6
  18. corndogggy

corndogggy 12 pointer

Jul 20, 2005
    A dinky pump rifle, it's entirely fine. I wouldn't give a 5 year old a CO2 powered pistol or a spring powered rifle.
  19. dxtsniper

dxtsniper 12 pointer

Nov 7, 2009
    Turn around!
    I got my son a daisy 105b and he is 4 years old getting ready to turn 5. I honestly think a red ryder would be to much for him at that age. The 105b is a smaller version of the red ryder and was about $20 at wally world. I also have a 4yr old nephew who loves to shoot that gun, we all have a great time and it's good to teach them gun safety starting at this age.
  20. Buford

Buford 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Zone 1 bachelor heaven
    Youll put your eye out!