Turkey Mites

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by danny99, Jul 5, 2009.

1. danny99

danny99 6 pointer

Jun 15, 2009
    Leitchfield
    If anyone has had turkey mites how did you get rid of them, and stop the itching.

2. skeetshooter105

skeetshooter105 6 pointer

Jan 4, 2005
    Hardin County Swamps
    Lice Shampoo that can be purchased at Walmart. Use it as body wash, suds up and leave a few minutes. Wash off and you should feel the results shortly.

3. jblack1

jblack1 8 pointer

Dec 13, 2005
    Science Hill
    you better get some of the lice spray for your bed also.

4. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    Probably the good ole chigger, Use some deet before you go out and get a good shower when you get back in, should prevent them, but if you already have them, well good luck, I have tried several old fashioned remedies but nothing works 100% of the time.

5. danny99

danny99 6 pointer

Jun 15, 2009
    Leitchfield
    I know it's a tick larvae most people here call them turkey mites.

6. Mepperson

Mepperson 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2005
    Murray, KY
    Yeah, been there done that.....the doctor said tick larvae. Soaking in clorox water in the tub helps with the itch and kills some of them but you smell like bleach for days.

7. Colorado_Hunter

Colorado_Hunter 10 pointer

Nov 30, 2007
    Radcliff, Kentucky
    I thought that the so called "turkey mites" were actually deer ticks.

8. weedwalker

weedwalker 10 pointer

Nov 27, 2006
    London,Ky
    As I've mentioned on here several times before; athletes foot cream will stop the itch almost immediatly and the bites will heal much faster.

9. LBLDOG

LBLDOG 6 pointer

Oct 20, 2008
    murray ky
    thank you WEED , will have to try that next time!! That is a new one on me!!!!!!

10. weedwalker

weedwalker 10 pointer

Nov 27, 2006
    London,Ky
    LBLDOG, I've been using it for years. It works great for seed ticks, chiggers, skeeter bites, bee stings and all kinds of bug bites. It's even good for spider bites.

11. slickhead slayer

slickhead slayer 12 pointer

Correct, and I believe Dr's say that the ticks aren't even on you, most bite and then fall off. So treating the itching is about all you can do, and as was mentioned, an foot cream does well.

12. massive horns

massive horns BBBC Members

Oct 21, 2002
    Kentucky
    Ditto. Only thing that works for me.....

13. bowcrazy*

bowcrazy* Spike

Nov 7, 2008
    Chigger Rid helps with seed ticks after you get them, which is probably what you have. Permonone or permethrin based spray on your clothes in heavy treatments will keep them away. They will eat Deet for an appetizer.

14. took the permonome an deet thing right out of may mouth!!!

15. the ones i have had bite me most loved what they got cause the little sheets stuck to me.:D

16. BadDuck

BadDuck 12 pointer

Aug 13, 2007
    Bullitt County
    I have to disagree. I can say without question that there is not any place in this great state that has more ticks than my farm. I am sure there are a couple of members on here that would be happy to confirm this claim.

That said, I use nothing but deet. I havent had a tick in years. I do spray it on very heavy, but it never fails to work.

2nd lesson of the day. turkey mites seed ticks or whatever you want to call them ARE 1st stage larvae deer ticks. They bite you, inject a anti-coagulant which provides them with ablood meal. They then release and fall off.

You are not removing or ridding yourself of the tick, merely treating the itch.

17. jeffb

jeffb 8 pointer

Oct 27, 2006
    hancock county
    I use deet on my feet and ankles before I put my shoes, socks and pants on and then use permanone on the outside of my shoes and pants. Seems to work pretty well although I still seem to get a few every squirell season.

18. Valley Station

Valley Station Cyber-Hunter

Some people seem to have a natural chemistry, that doesn't attract ticks or chiggers, however, I am not one of them. My hide seems to be getting thinner, each passing season.
    In my neck of the woods, we have a strain of deer ticks that will wade thru Off or a Deets product and cover you up.
    Treating your clothes and boots with Permonone, is the only thing that works for me.

19. jblack1

jblack1 8 pointer

Dec 13, 2005
    Science Hill
    So you've noticed this also, I've always wondered why some people get large quantities of ticks and someone else can take the same path and get none.