Turkey hunting Daniel Boone Forest?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by JP08, Jan 26, 2011.

1. JP08

JP08 6 pointer

Feb 11, 2007
    Hey guys, im wanting to give Daniel Boone forest a shot this year for turkey hunting in the spring. Im really going down there just for the experence. Living in W.Kentucky I cant wait to run all over them big hills. Anywho I was hoping for some insight, not your fav spot or anything. Just general info, Good WMA ares, how many birds and how is the hunting pressure, Is there turkey's in the Mountain area's or just in the hill's....witch is better.....Ect. Any info would be nice, thank's....Josh

2. WaterDog88

WaterDog88 10 pointer

Jul 28, 2008
    Kentucky
    Tons of turkeys in DBNF. Since it runs from Tn almost to Oh it's hard to pin point a spot for ya. I would say do your homework and pick one area that looks good to you and scout that out. As far as what looks good to you is totally subjective. Most people will say just go to cave run, but there are some very isolated places if you look for them. Terrain ranges from hilly to impossible.

3. billproxs

billproxs 12 pointer

Nov 1, 2009
    KENTUCKY LAKE
  4. mason0366

mason0366 8 pointer

Jan 4, 2008
    Eubank Ky
    They are alot of land in it. All depends on what part you want to hunt.

5. JP08

JP08 6 pointer

Feb 11, 2007
    Im looking into hunting Beaver creek WMA but im not sure just yet.

6. mason0366

mason0366 8 pointer

Jan 4, 2008
    Eubank Ky
    I don't know how much it gets turkey hunted. During archery season it gets hunted alot. I used to hunt it.

7. Outdoorfan

Outdoorfan 6 pointer

Dec 9, 2008
    Rowan Co.
    Ive turkey hunted it the last two years, and out of 4 trips in the spring I've killed 3 birds, last year I hunted an area I had never hunted before and in two days I had two birds. Very good populations only moderate pressure. The areas I have hunted have been pretty steep hills, If your from further west its what your calling mountains, if your from eastern KY, they are hills. I've had really good luck late morning/ mid day they seem to break loose and answer calls a little better. Assuming you don't know the area I would suggest getting there at/slightly before daylight and do alot of listening. Then once you locate them move in and calling them to you.

8. wbpc

wbpc Fawn

May 4, 2010
    I'm headed that way this year myself. Never hunted Kentucky before, so I'm not quite sure what to expect coming from South Alabama. I will be hunting in the DBNF in McCreary county and will probably give Beaver Creek WMA a try while I'm there. From the looks of some topo maps I better start getting in shape if I want to chase those mountain birds.

9. Outdoorfan

Outdoorfan 6 pointer

Dec 9, 2008
    Rowan Co.
    If your willing to burn a little boot leather it will really pay off.

10. mason0366

mason0366 8 pointer

Jan 4, 2008
    Eubank Ky
    IT is some tough ground. Hills and clifflines.

11. greenwing

greenwing Spike

Sep 17, 2006
    Olive Hill,Ky
    It all depends on where your wanting to go I think. I hunt around Cave Run alot, and the terrain goes from slightly hill to sheer cliffs in ALOT of places. Alot of good places around here, but it gets some pretty decent pressure. Like Outdoorfan said though, if your willing to walk it will pay off. Alot of people don't want to get more than a couple hundred off the road here. Good luck to ya.

12. Hunting Beaver Creek

I went on my first turkey hunt in 1966 at Beaver Creek , back then it was a 2 day hunt . I had saw a few turkeys there during deer season and decided to go back come Spring . I saw no turkey on that first hunt, but the woods were alive with drumming grouse . I have hunted Beaver Creek since then with good luck . It is rough and rugged hunting but is a beautiful place , especially in the Spring

13. JP08

JP08 6 pointer

Feb 11, 2007
    Yeah I can wait, I plan on gettin back into the timber a good ways. Im used to hunting public land with my bow and have great luck so im excited to take a gun to Beaver Creek. I dont really even care if I kill, I just want to take some photo's and have a good time!!!!

14. My camp is near beaver creek and my property buts into the D.B.N.F. I love turkey hunting down there. You are getting some good info, it is some hard hiking and you will have to cover alot of ground but the main thing is if you can is to go early and scout if not and you dont know the area it will be tough. That being said the thing I like the most compared to N. ky is with that much room if you hear them you can go get them unlike when you are resticted to small farms. Oh and by the way towards the end of the season if it gets warm enough watch your step!

15. eleaf

eleaf Spike

Jan 12, 2010
    Wilmore, KY
    I've never turkey hunted before and I'm going to give my first time to DBNF. I'll be further down south in an area where I have hiked before. When I was there 3 years ago hiking in early May, there wasn't a human in sight. It was a ways out there, and it was quite a walk, but I saw tons of sign and a few birds.

16. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    California ky
    Clear creek WMA is a nice place. Seen tons of turkeys there when deer hunting.