Traditional vs Modern

Discussion in 'Muzzleloaders' started by Munk, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Munk

Munk Fawn

Sep 8, 2016
    Bit hard... the kits on https://kiblerslongrifles.com are calling to me. They seem like a nice but doable kit for a beginner, But it will either take some time to save or selling another gun before I get one.

2. davers

davers 10 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    I currently own a T/C Black Diamond, which is a real tack driver, for an inline M/L. Only issue is that Thompson/Center discontinued this model a couple years ago. NOW, I am having problems finding a couple major parts for it, searching just about everywhere online. This past Deer Season (December late M/L) I was cleaning my Black Diamond, finding that a few threads on the Breech Plug were wearing out, as when I reinstalled it after cleaning it seemed unusually hard to replace back in the barrel. So I contacted T/C and they said they no longer have spare parts for my Black Diamond .50 cal. SO, whatever Muzzle Loading rifle you choose be sure to by some extra critical and major parts to have on hand.

3. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    Look at these kits at Track of the Wolf. If you like "southern mountain" type rifles, these kits are nice. They come in up to .54 cal and either 36 or 42" barrels. The price is decent, too. I did notice some stocks were on back order. https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Cate...E-LONGRIFLE-FLINT-PARTS-LIST/KIT-ETI-15-FLINT

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  4. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    Tip's shop is not far from the state line. Maybe a about ten miles into TN and five off I-65. There is likely one in his shop with my name on it, I am just saving the coin. Typically he has several of each school in various states of completion.

The earlier rifles were the larger caliber offerings. The later schools, and southern rifles in general, were smaller in caliber as general rule. Got to keep in mind by the time KY and TN were full on settled the need for the larger caliber was starting to become diminished. Fewer big game animals to hunt (no more buffs, elks, bears and wolves) and, thankfully, fewer indians to contend with.

The southern rifles have a soft understated beauty about them though.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  5. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    I've never heard anybody complain about Tip Curtis' goods. I've seen his stuff at shows and I liked what I saw. He sells "in the white" guns also that only need final finishing. I think he will work with you if you decide what you want.

6. Bladefoot

Bladefoot 6 pointer

Dec 6, 2010
    Goodlow Slough
    You mention "gun hunting " and I assume you mean deer hunting. You also mention "a few extra days" in your post. As to the performance ball placement is the key. A deer with a .50 caliber ball through the ribs won't go far. Hunting with traditional rifles takes a little more time and effort to learn what you and your rifle can do. If you are in a hurry to get " extra days " the inline may be the way for you. Hunting out of a tree stand with a 42 inch barrel is different but I do it every year. Hunting with a traditional rifle is a commitment if you want to be successful. What you consider success is up to you. Bladefoot