Thoughts from Roger Raglin

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by pentail, Aug 14, 2012.

1. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    Lifted this from his facebook page after seeing a discussion on it over on AT. He makes a lot of good points. On the other hand, he has made what I assume to be a pretty fair living off the very business aspect of the sport that he is railing against...

This week I'm beginning serious preparation for the upcoming hunting season. Also means I'm watching a lot of Hunting TV Shows for the first time this season. It's good I'm nearing the end of my career - or maybe I'm just getting out of touch with things. Here are a few observations I can't help but make.
    I don't think you have to be or act like a toothless, hillbilly, redneck, beer drinking, country music worshiping, idiot to be a deer hunter. I don't consider my self any of those things. I do think that smart people follow the passion in their life and live it to the fullest regardless of their occupation or IQ.
    I don't think that because you have or have had a hit record, played any professional sport or appeared on or in a movie now or ever that suddenly you're a super star expert in the field of hunting. I think sponsors call it marketing. I think the average sportsman knows better and deserves better.
    I use the same old worn out backpack I've had for 9 years. My goal each year is to take less and less things in it up a tree every day. When is it all going to end - the things you supposedly need to hunt and shoot a deer?
    I don't think you have to act like or look like Mr. Joe Cabela's every time you step into the woods. I can, have and could again shoot a deer wearing blue jeans and a shirt. If your camo is old worn and has holes in it or can't afford it for you and the three boys your wanting to take hunting - that's OK with me. Dress them in old school clothes and get out there and have a great time. Amazingly I've made it in this business for over 25 years without Realtree or Mossy Oak. Imagine that.
    I think you should be able to be proud of whatever you shoot - whatever size animal it is. It's your hunt, your life, your experience, your dinner table where it's headed. Follow game laws but mainly follow your own heart. Always!
    You'll never be totally scent free in the woods - so quit blowing a bunch of your money trying so hard - unless you've got it to burn. Wholly crap - what's the next gimmick to get you 9999999.9999% scent free. If they're so darn smart why can't they go ahead and get you to 100%. How about this? Spend the extra money on a few more trips to your hunting area before the season to scout and know what the deer are doing. I'll bet you shoot more critters.
    Finally, the average age of the hunter in America is now over 50 years old. So you old timers like myself don't get discouraged by watching all the young 25 to 35 year old new super stars on TV with their beautiful wives. They're being sponsored by very young marketing people who think you're already dead. Most of you old timers over 60 have forgotten more than these youngsters know or may ever know. Not all, but most of them are shooters not teachers. You go ahead keep going out there. If you can't climb a tree buy you an inexpensive ground blind. If you can't pull your bow, buy yourself a crossbow - I could care less what brand - one that you can afford. Go at a slower pace but please keep going. We still need you out there. We need your support. You got us this far. And now in the next few year's we'll be passing the torch on to someone else. I'm just not sure that new message is what we really need. Yes, it's probably good that I'm nearing the end of my career

2. 19point

19point Fawn

Jan 3, 2009
  3. mrdux

mrdux Guest

Never cared for his show but have to agree with his message. I haven't watched outdoor TV much in several years but if I do, I have zero idea who about 95% of the bozos on there are and could care less.

I still miss Virgil Ward and Curt Gowdy!

4. WaterDog88

WaterDog88 10 pointer

Jul 28, 2008
    Kentucky
    Good read. That's the attitude I learned to hunt with.

5. TripleGee

TripleGee 12 pointer

Sep 13, 2003
    Somerset
    But I bought my camo bikini because of Tiffany and that Asian Carp segment! Uh-oh, I've said too much.

6. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    Hypocritical to the obscene........

7. philipfleek

philipfleek 12 pointer

Feb 24, 2008
    philville, KY
    Hey let's go hunt'n!

Don't care for him at all.

8. Ash12

Ash12 10 pointer

Oct 21, 2007
    That guy is super cheesy. One of my biggest dislikes about some of todays outdoor show stars...

9. 300winmag

300winmag 12 pointer

Sep 1, 2009
    Taylorsville
    I couldn't agree more. He may not "push" the products like the others do, but he has them. I've never cared for his show anyway.

10. colvin

colvin 6 pointer

Sep 1, 2010
    He sounds like a bitter old man to me.

11. skin_dog1

skin_dog1 BBBC Members

Jan 2, 2004
    Alvaton, KY, USA.
    Jimminy Christmas, I think you nailed it!!!
    I wonder how many times he's gone to realtree or mossyoak for money and they shot him down? He has quite the long list of sponsors including a camo sponsor that most people have never even heard of (I have, actually own some of it, it's made not far from my hometown). Mathews probably wouldnt like to hear him say he dont care what bow you shoot. Wonder if that sponsorship will be around next season? He's not made a living on his DVD's I can guarantee you that, sponsors have carried the brunt of that load. Signing autographs in their booths probably helped too. Sounds like he's upset that he's getting old and not as popular as he was 20 years ago. While I agree with a lot of what he said, it's a hard pill to swallow coming from someone that has spent 20 years peddling their brand of magic pixie dust....

12797571833031771751722.jpeg

12. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    Who is Roger Raglin? Never heard of him. Seriously.

I infer from this thread that he is a longtime commercial outdoors hack that's been on TV for a long time, and apparently he's changed his tune as he exits the commercial game. Well if so, then good for him. I agree with what he says here. Maybe that makes me old and bitter too, but that's better than being young and gullible while the marketers make off with all my cash.

Quit making the marketers rich, turn the TV off and get out in the woods on your own terms and learn how to hunt. It'll mean so much more to you.

13. Pinwheel8

Pinwheel8 8 pointer

Jun 28, 2006
    Corbin
    A lot of words from someone that hunts high fences. Sometimes its better to keep your mouth shut.

14. finelydeerhunting

finelydeerhunting 8 pointer

Nov 7, 2006
    Finley, KY
    I'm sorry, I agree with both sides. I agree that he is a hypocrite, but I also agree with his message. I don't watch very many hunting shows for the reasons that he stated. I get tired of seeing all the "bought" deer that they parade around with. It's sickening how they promote what some have turned into as deer hunters, you know, the ones that kill a big deer, then all the sudden they know more about hunting than you do and are a better hunter. Not everyone that kills a big deer is like this, but I know several that do act that way. It's annoying. Just because they luck into 1 good deer, they are all the sudden a grand master hunter. Some of you guys get good deer year after year, and my hats off to you, you do your homework, prepare and make it happen. I'm not talking about you guys, I'm talking about the ones that luck into a monster in the middle of gun season rut, and it being the only big deer they killed and they start talking down to you like you are inferior.

15. B Hicks

B Hicks 12 pointer

Sep 29, 2006
    Lancaster, KY
    One of the first hunting videos I remember having was "Whitetails East of the Mississippi", back in the early days. It, along with Ben Lee's videos before he died. If you want to watch an old entertaining video, watch "Hunting the Rut with Ben Lee". Those were some of the my favorites. Remember Noel Feather and Dan Fitzgerald back then too. It was pre-outdoor channel days and before all the commercialization, or maybe it was the beginning. Back then, it was supposedly public hand hunts that Roger was killing those big bucks, and it was fun to watch... All went downhill from there. I was done after I saw a high fence hunt in Ohio with Roger Raglin.

16. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Didn't Noel Feather get caught doing something shady as well? Seems like I remember him shooting high fence deer.

17. Sammy

Sammy 6 pointer

Mar 16, 2011
    I'm pretty sure Noel was the one who got caught hunting elk within the boundaries of yellowstone, apparently someone noticed a landmark in the background and got that ball rolling.

Like him or not Roger has one hell of a collection of bucks. I do think he sounds bitter.

I'm guilty for watching entirely too much of that crap and do my best not to watch too much of it these days. Thank the lord I actually had someone to look up to when I was growing up other than these "super hunters" we see on TV. I do enjoy seeing the big bucks but can't stand the marketing.

18. headoftheholler

headoftheholler 12 pointer

Oct 16, 2007
    Getshot, KY
    Roger lists over 22 sponsers on his site. Rant from him as anti-marketing/merchandise is a fallacy.

19. deadaim

deadaim 12 pointer

Dec 12, 2001
    Booger Hollar
    pic_wall-1.jpg

1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11.....12 points!!!! Jimminy Christmas!!

I always liked his early movies back in the late 80s early 90s you could actualy learn something from his videos and he was entertaining. He has become very much like the very thing he is talking about in the last few years. I have always thought if someone could put together a show that actualy would teach hunters more about hunting and less about selling something it might be worth watching. I can understand a commercial during a program break you have to pay the bills........but anymore the whole dang program is a infomercial. I did meet him and his wife when I was working a booth at a couple of hunting shows at heritage hall with the christian archers of Ky. He was a very nice guy and went out of his way to meet some fans. His wife was also nice. He did a couple of very informative seminars. He also had a collection of his shoulder mounts with him that were something to see.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  20. B Hicks

B Hicks 12 pointer

Sep 29, 2006
    Lancaster, KY
    I remember that and went to that hunting show. I see between $30-40,000 of taxidermy work in that picture though. I wonder how much of that was done for free.