The things that goes with Pinto Beans

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by LittleJohn, Nov 9, 2006.

1. LittleJohn

LittleJohn 6 pointer

Dec 22, 2005
    Staffordsville,KY
    There are so many differant things,that will go with your Pinto Beans. I like lot of them. Wondering what does everyone like with their beans. Like to fry chicken livers, with onions and eat some fry pickle corn with mind and some hard crust cornbread and some cold milk how about y'all.:D

2. GSP

GSP 14 Pointer Staff Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    Ya are doing good there and I would enjoy sitting down with supper with you, but I hate chicken livers. I think they taste like fried pencil erasers.

Soup beans and corn bread is the food that I grew up eating 4 nights a week. Still love them!

Fried pickel corn!:cool: Best thing EVER!!!!

Hard crust cornbread? Now you are talking!:D Ya got to get that skillet hot with the grease in it and don't do something stupid like pouring it in the batter!;)

Onions; Hot Wax and Bell peppers goes with the above well I think and does a bunch of fried taters with onions!:cool:

3. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    Soup beans, salmon patties, macaroni/cheese and fried taters. I think that was the meal I fixed that made ol' whats-er-name want to marry me.

4. corndogggy

corndogggy 12 pointer

Jul 20, 2005
    Hot pepper relish

salsa

chow-chow

ketchup :D

5. Foam Steak

Foam Steak 10 pointer

Jun 29, 2006
    Harrison County
    I like to smash and re-fry mine with a little extra garlic and chili powder, then lay it across a tortilla with some cheeze and hot sauce. Just finished off a pot yesterday. Need to start soaking some more.

How do you guys cook yours? I rinse, clean, soak overnight. Refresh the water, bring to a boil then simmer until done with an onion, carrot, couple strips of bacon and a few cloves of garlic. Is there a better way?

6. skin_dog1

skin_dog1 BBBC Members

Jan 2, 2004
    Alvaton, KY, USA.
    I love pinto beans, but I hate the most common things that go with them.......

BTW, I soak mine over night then put them in the crock pot(early am) on high with a large onion, salt and either bacon or ham scraps. I prefer the ham but sometimes there isn't any in the fridge. I let it cook all day til supper time and they are perfecto! Later that night is when things usually go wrong!

7. boola

boola 6 pointer

Nov 4, 2005
    lexington
    How about greens ,mashed potatoes, and a big pork chop?:)

8. RDL270

RDL270 Cyber-Hunter

Apr 14, 2003
    Fern Creek KY
    Pinto beans, Greens, Mac and cheese and Meatloaf.......with corn bread....... probably my all time favorite comfort food meal......

9. ecmbowhunter

ecmbowhunter Elitist Bowhunter

Feb 17, 2004
    at the Elite Level
    ffffffffffft..................gas

10. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    That's sounds so disappointing...just a quiet little ffffftttt. Not worth much, in my regard.

I much prefer the BAARRRRUUUUUMMMPPP!!!! from a kettle of beans that weren't soaked overnight, just dumped in a pot with some ham and cooked up for a couple hours.

11. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    I like pinto beans, cooked turnips, greens, cornbread and Ice tea. They go good with sour kraut and corn relish.

I like to put pinto beans in chili. my wife thinks that I am nuts because she prefers kidney beans.

12. C.L.Button

C.L.Button 12 pointer

Jan 27, 2005
    Derby City Jungle
    I make a soup using Pinto Beans. Mmmm good. :D

13. nitrox28

nitrox28 Banned

Aug 4, 2003
    Lexington, ky, USA.
    Cornbread, onions, hot sauce, a cold beer and a big spoon!

14. raktrakr

raktrakr Cyber-Hunter

Jan 20, 2002
    central ky
    I like to cook mine in the crock overnite on low with onion and country ham chunks, skillet cornbread(is there really any other) and fried taters. Hot sauce on the taters, mustard in the beans, boy thats good. But ol' rak has to lay off that stuff, I just had a health screening and my cholesterol is through the roof:eek:

15. C.L.Button

C.L.Button 12 pointer

Jan 27, 2005
    Derby City Jungle
    I can't imagine why ? The Fried Taters might have helped, but Pinto Beans, Onions, Ham, and Corn Bread didn't do that to you. Is it in your family history ? :)

16. WhiteRubi

WhiteRubi 12 pointer

Apr 13, 2005
    Richmond
    I cooked a pot all day today...

Got in late from hunting so they will wait til tomorrow.

Corn bread, fried potatoes, and some venison cutlets on the grill will do just the trick tomorrow.

As a kid, we always had the above but pork chops or fried chicken, never much venison. My dad was never very successful hunting and my mom didn't kile venison.

17. wowsafari

wowsafari 6 pointer

Oct 24, 2003
    .McKinney,KY
    I like cornbread and a couple spoonfuls of sweet relish in my bowl of beans. Sometimes a shot of hot sauce to get me going. A big cast iron skillet of fried taters and onions or tater cakes are hard to beat as side items.

18. bspring

bspring 6 pointer

May 23, 2006
    Bee Spring, Ky.
    Hot pepper,fried taters,cornbread and ham cooked in the pintos.

19. DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF 6 pointer

Dec 5, 2004
    Chow - chow!

big slice of vadalia onion, corn bread, Frank's hot sauce and a piece of the salt pork that was cooked w/ the pintos! HEAVEN!:D

20. duckman26

duckman26 Spike

Oct 26, 2005
    Northern KY
    Fried Pickle corn

What is fried pickle corn? I have never heard of it before.