Thank God for LBL

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by MammothCaveHunter, Nov 9, 2010.

1. MammothCaveHunter

MammothCaveHunter 6 pointer

Jan 27, 2005
    Mammoth Cave
    Well, I have had an unbelievable fall already between Wyoming, Utah, and here in Kentucky, but I still can't manage to shed this itchy, aching, deep internal burning fever that is always associated with this time of year. I must be highly allergic to something. LOL. I've always wanted to hunt in LBL, particularly because it is an extra buck, but time, money, and putting friends/family on deer here in my home area has always kept me away. But this year was different. I was able to make a few trips out early to scout and having a contact there at lbl was also helpful, but didn't work as well as I thought it would. I spent most of the first day there looking around and found lots of sign and even jumped one decent 120'' deer along with 7 does. After finding where 3 ridges came together with one little saddle pass, I immediately checked the map, and headed back to the truck for the stand. I just had to hunt there that afternoon, although I had already promised myself to scout the entire day. After a long, wet, and trying hike with too much ambiguous equipment I found my tree and climbed. 10 minutes later the action was on. A doe followed by a young seven pointer, then another doe with two fawns, then another doe, then 2 more does with fawns and then big boy stepped out. The trail the does were on would bring him to within 30 yards of my tree. Slowly; heart pounding, knees shaking, and head spinning I readied for the shot and a doe busted me as I drew; TOO MANY EYES! Luckily, all deer remained still and I took the shot. I wasn't for sure how big he was, I just knew he was better than 150, hopefully 160. After climbing down to a blood trail that was by far too graphic for tv, I found him 65 yards later. I've not put a tape to him yet, but he does have better than 13 inch g2's and better than 16'' wide. His right side is broke up with 3'' missing from his g3, an inch missing from his mainbeam and 1 inch from his brow tine. His left side has a broken kicker off of his g2. It was a phenomenal hunt. I'm hooked on LBL
    [​IMG]

2. retiredbowhunter

retiredbowhunter 8 pointer

Aug 23, 2006
  3. Redlined

Redlined 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2005
    In The Tree Next To Ya
    Bigger than 150, bigger than 160, and from the looks of things you can keep saying "bigger than" quite a few more times as well. Unreal, thats about all I can say....

4. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    a beast for sure

5. MSU98

MSU98 Fawn

Aug 2, 2009
    great buck we hunt close to there if i fill my gun tag i may have to pull out the bow and check it out for myself

6. ril7572

ril7572 Cyber-Hunter

Jul 9, 2003
    Ky..
    Congrats, great buck

7. RICO

RICO 6 pointer

Nov 19, 2008
    Wifes Chit List
    Dayuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuum

8. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 10 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    Awesome buck ! Congrats.

9. MAKEemQUIVER

MAKEemQUIVER 10 pointer

Mar 19, 2009
    That is a stud! Congrats on your season!

10. randy grider

randy grider 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Burgin, KY
    Definately a nice un, But I would not consider that the norm for LBL. I've hunted there for years..., and aint never seen nothin like that !!! Congratulations !

11. bigkals

bigkals Spike

Jan 7, 2008
    Congrats on the great buck ...... btw can I borrow you lucky rabbit foot , from the looks of things , you won't need it anymore this season .

12. Jarhead

Jarhead 8 pointer

Feb 20, 2005
    Allen co. Ky.
    Wow! Thats a great buck!!! And at LBL!

13. racsr

racsr 10 pointer

May 7, 2009
    morgan county ky
    An absolute brute! great hunt thanks for the post!

14. Wildcat

Wildcat 12 pointer

Jan 7, 2002
    Ledbetter, Ky.
  15. LungBlood

LungBlood 12 pointer

Oct 31, 2010
    Florence
    Man what an amazing buck, huge congrats. And killing it on public land is just topping on the cake.

16. billproxs

billproxs 12 pointer

Nov 1, 2009
    KENTUCKY LAKE
    Wow, that is a great buck.

17. NWGAHUNTER

NWGAHUNTER 6 pointer

Dec 9, 2009
    GA
    I've seen them close to that size on the side of the road headed to Westvaco land MANY years ago but never in the woods. That is a STUD right there. The good thing is I have an identical setup with the ridges coming together and saddle and it has produced the same results for deer sitings but nothing big yet.

Congrats on a stud!

18. chris149

chris149 12 pointer

Jun 17, 2009
    KY
    Congrats to ya on all of your kills this year I bet you will be smilen for a long time. That's a great looking buck

19. Geronimo

Geronimo Fawn

Jun 19, 2010
    It was nice to meet you the other day. That is one heck of a deer and looked as impressive in person.

We were the group from Pensacola staying in the log cabin at Wranglers.

Have you scored it yet?

20. B.G.O. of Kentucky

B.G.O. of Kentucky 12 pointer

Nov 19, 2002
    Louisville, Ky, USA.
    Hey Geronimo, we were the guys camped down on Jenny Ridge Road you all stopped and talked to. Good to have met you all. How did you all fare?