Stupid wind!!!

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by TripleGee, Jul 1, 2012.

1. TripleGee

TripleGee 12 pointer

Sep 13, 2003
    Somerset
    Well, my Bradford Pears finally gave up the ghost(s) tonight about 10 minutes ago. Real hard wind coming in took one off in three pieces about 4 ft. off the ground. The other one lost the front quarter of itself also. LOOKS like, LOOKS like, there may be some rain coming from Casey County. HOpe so, just no house or property damaging winds. Ya'll stay safe and hope no wind damage for you all either.

2. AteUp

AteUp 12 pointer

Mar 14, 2004
    Luavul
    It's a bradford pear. You had to know the end was near.

3. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    Reason one why I made the builder give me a different tree in my front yard.

4. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    Bradford Pear. We advertise them as "self pruning". Sounds a heck of a lot better than, "this sucker is gonna split and destroy itself just about the time it gets all full and pretty"

5. TripleGee

TripleGee 12 pointer

Sep 13, 2003
    Somerset
    Yeah, it self-pruned alright. Pruned all the way down just about to the roots!

6. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    our neighborhood is full of split bradfords now. they just can't take the wind.

7. They look nice when full, but I just never understand why people still plant them knowing what the future holds

8. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    It all comes down to bad genetics and selective breeding....muck like the liberal democrat. It's self destruction is inevitable.

9. new guy

new guy Banned

Jun 30, 2011
    deep in the mountains
    put 3 of my tomato plants over as well. will be alright tho.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  10. Xcal1ber

Xcal1ber 12 pointer

Jul 16, 2011
    Couple ridges over
    We had two at the house get knocked over in the wind a couple years ago.. Idk why anyone likes them.. They smell like rotten ***** lol

11. Davidlondon4

Davidlondon4 10 pointer

Dec 2, 2004
    Laurel County
    I received about 3/4 inch of sorely needed rain here just outside of London within the last hour.Still raining some as well.Also some very high winds.I was watching the golf course fairway out my dining room window and watched the wind rip about a 10 ft. long limb out of a big tree in the fairway.Also another one about 8 or 9 feet long came tumbling across the fairway from somewhere in the vicinity.A neighbor living a few hundred yards from me drove by and said he has lost a tree and a flag pole.This was probably the strongest wind I have seen in almost 8 years of living here as the bad stuff generally goes 7 or 8 miles farther north.
    Bradford pears arent worth planting.Celeveland Select is supposed to be a better choice.There were 2 Bradfords here when I bought the house.Now there are none as the first blew down on the house before I got moved in after a tornado went through close by.The second was lost 2 or 3 years ago when the top blew out of it and I went ahead and took the rest of it down.I also lost a maple to wind a year or so ago.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012