strutter decoys

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by bgkyarcher, Feb 15, 2017.

1. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Looking for a smaller, lighter, less imposing strutter. My pretty boy works great, but can be a little imposing to less dominant birds, particularly from mid season to the end. What do you guys use? Don't want the avian, too heavy. Also want one that will accept a real fan.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  2. bondhu

bondhu 6 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Thunder Chicken works great for us.

3. Bee

Bee 8 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    this will likely end up as a Ford-Chevy topic...but Ive never used a mature tom decoy other than Primos B Mobile, and have not had a refusal on it anywhere in the country. I actually have two of them: one mature with mature real fan and long beard, other with a jake fan (real) and a bobbed jake beard. Use one or other according to scouting. If no scouting then full fan every time. Ive also had very good results from the Avian X jake.

4. Mainbeam

Mainbeam 12 pointer

Jul 7, 2012
    mojo scoot n shoot ..........works as a stationary or you can really get in the fun and crawl with it.

5. countryboy3006

countryboy3006 Fawn

Jan 28, 2015
    Northern KY
    I have a Killer B that I use most of the time with a real fan. Another one I have that is really easy to carry in is the inflatable cherokee sports strutting decoy. It doesn't take a real fan but it folds up super small and I have had goo results with it. Just don't let one jump it or you will end up with a big gash in it.

6. BucksnBeards3

BucksnBeards3 6 pointer

Apr 9, 2014
    edmonson county
    I use a primos b mobile. Last year was the first time I had a gobbler shun it. Its worked good every other time. Last year didnt make sense either three gobblers together were scared of it. Oh well ill keep trying it I did put a real jake fan in it this year In place of real gobbler fan

7. Randy1974

Randy1974 Fawn

Apr 12, 2016
    Last year I used a primos gobble stopper for the first time had a gobbler and hen come in. Gobbler was 75 yards in front of hen both shunned the decoys. But it was weird in ohio last year turkeys didn't act right

8. Devourgamecalls

Devourgamecalls Fawn

Feb 12, 2017
    I use the bass pro shops brand strutter with real fan. It made such a difference putting the real fan on. I killed one with the fake tail fan in. Then I had several look at it from a distance and not come in. So I switched to a real fan. Since the switch I've never had any second guess. Most come running in and attack it. Some strut in slow. None of then that have seen the real tail skirted or didn't come in. I've used it in 4 states and tagged out in every state I hunted the past 7 years.

9. turk2di

turk2di Cyber-Hunter

Feb 25, 2003
    evansville, ind
    Funky chicken, dont need a strutter!

10. ky.longbeard

ky.longbeard 10 pointer

May 15, 2010
  11. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    I have a pretty boy that i have killed birds off of. However i seem to have better luck with just a fan. Rather setting still or crawling towards them.