State by State Whitetail Records

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by II RiNgEyE II, Dec 21, 2011.

1. II RiNgEyE II

II RiNgEyE II 6 pointer

Nov 4, 2009
    Brindle Ridge, KY
  2. deerpox

deerpox 6 pointer

Dec 1, 2011
    Western Ky
    i think Ky is the only one on that list with both records having been set after the year 2000. we are on the upswing!

3. BadDuck

BadDuck 12 pointer

Aug 13, 2007
    Bullitt County
    WHAT!?!?! Did I just read that right? Our typical record is larger than BOTH Kansas and Iowa? Arent those the 2 states our bowhunting elite keep referencing in their argument to change Kentucky's rifle season?

Maybe what we are doing works just fine!

4. naturalelite

naturalelite 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2004
    NATTYVILLE
    I am sure both of those states have 10-20 typicals bigger than that but the hunters are so used to them they don't have them recorded:rolleyes:

There were a few states that really suprised me with their #'s.

5. II RiNgEyE II

II RiNgEyE II 6 pointer

Nov 4, 2009
    Brindle Ridge, KY
    I think this data is only up to 2006.

6. "WHAT!?!?!Did I just read that right? Our typical record is larger than BOTH Kansas andIowa? Arent those the 2 states our bowhunting elite keep referencing in theirargument to change Kentucky's rifle season?"

The issue is not individual records, it’s the fact that Kansas, Illinois, and Iowa produce more mature age class bucks from a numbers stand point. Due to the gun season notbeing in the rut, the benefit is that more bucks reach the 4 year and older age class. This bowhunter, although I'm not opposed to trophy class bucks, is more interested in there being more numbers of mature bucks roaming the Bluegrass. I think that people get too tied up in individual records for making the case on how to manage a deer herd. Using KY record bucks as a rule to insist that we are a better deer management state is like saying that because Obama is the worst president in history, Hawaii produces the worst presidents. It's not good logic. I bet if all the states were to able to break their total buck harvests down in to age class (impossible I understand) KY would rate very poorly over all. It's not all about trophys it’s about having the opportunity to hunt a different class of buck on a more consistent basis. I can see how for some, that aren’t really interested in the actual hunting/challenge aspect of the deal, would get confused. If the motivating factor is to fill your buck tag with any caliber buck, Kentucky is the perfect model.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  7. skin_dog1

skin_dog1 BBBC Members

Jan 2, 2004
    Alvaton, KY, USA.
    What!?!?!?!?!? Did I just read right? Is the non typical record in KS and Iowa both bigger than KY??? So what! Get over the antler envy. We're talking about older deer, more even age structure, healthier herd dynamics. Besides, anything over 200 typical is a freak of nature. What about the only 300" non typs all came from some where other than KY. Each of them 30+" bigger than KY's state record. Where did those come from? What does that mean??? NOTHING! The argument isnt about bigger antlers, it's about herd dynamics.

8. BadDuck

BadDuck 12 pointer

Aug 13, 2007
    Bullitt County

If it isnt about bigger antlers then quit using B&C records to support your argument.

9. BadDuck

BadDuck 12 pointer

Aug 13, 2007
    Bullitt County
    nevermind.

10. BadDuck

BadDuck 12 pointer

Aug 13, 2007
    Bullitt County
    nevermind.

11. huntr467

huntr467 12 pointer

And is that the rifle seasons fault?
    Basing your statement that Ks., Io., and Ill, kill more mature age class bucks is based on what? We know it's not age, because they don't age every buck as you stated that would be impossible. So most people base their assumption that those states have a better age structure or should a say an older age structure of bucks solely on antler size, right? I am sure that with a possibility of 4 buck tags for Io. residents, that they have their share of 1.5 and 2.5 yo in the harvest. And those bucks are just as easily killed in Dec. as Nov.
    Has any one ever thought that maybe, just maybe, they grow em bigger even at younger age? Better habitat, genetics etc. ? Just sayin.

12. kyblackmallard

kyblackmallard 10 pointer

Sep 18, 2006
    What if you reverse the seasons in Iowa,Kansas,Illinois and allow rifles during the rut. I would bet there would be some extreme monsters show up. I mean this argument is so stupid. We have the best of both worlds. Long Liberal seasons and a chance to kill big deer year after year. If we killed even bigger deer all it would mean is there would be more land leased up than there already is by ooser's.Get over it folks. Any action wanting any guns to be limited would be inviting the anti's to come on in and when you give something up you would never get it back.