Squirrels: "Wools", clean around? or throw away?

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by KYBOY, Aug 27, 2007.

1. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    When you kill a squirrel with a "wool" (I think everyone knows what Im talking about..wool,warble etc..) in it do you clean around it by cutting out the area that had the wool or just throw the aquirrel away??:confused: Most of my life I have just thrown them away but anymore I just hate to waste meat like that. I had/have plenty of relatives who just cut out the bad spot and clean/keep the rest. I know Ive seen a lot worse looking spots on hogs and cattle that have just been cut out cleaned....Since the wool just gets under the skin and creates a slight swollen infected area what do you think?????

2. killer

killer 12 pointer

May 7, 2004
    "In that good way!"
    I chuck'em, just can't hardley eat'em know they had wools in'em.

3. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    The botfly pupa should'nt go past the skin. Just skin the squirrel as usual; i've never seen a problem, other than its pretty disgusting to look at.

I killed a squirrel once and carried it home and after the squirrel cooled off, the thing crawled out. It was just a big soft worm except for the exposed head, which was hard as a rock.

4. Kaibaby

Kaibaby 6 pointer

Oct 23, 2005
    Just as Trust Me said! I can't ever remember seeing any meat damage.

5. Steven Buckley

Steven Buckley 6 pointer

Apr 20, 2007
    Floyd County
    Toss them for coyotes, they will not go to waste:p

6. treedog

treedog 6 pointer

Aug 20, 2004
    i really don't think it hurts the meat,i have never ate one that had a worm in it but i had a friend that would.

7. Big_Steve

Big_Steve Fawn

Aug 21, 2007
    Richmond, Ky
    I have never cleaned one with a wool. I have only seen two in my life, and both of those I tossed. I'm not sure exactly what the heck that thing was ,all I knew was it looked disgusting.

8. grouser68

grouser68 Banned

Jan 29, 2006
    I have killed many with warbles,and a rabbit or two, threw them all away. I dunno about the just under the skin comments, all I ever saw generally were in the meat around the neck and shoulders. Killed two grouse with very small breasts, they had a ball of worms(guessing tape worms) in them, I threw them away also.