Savage 10 - 7mm-08

Discussion in 'Modern Firearms' started by Buck_Nasty, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Buck_Nasty

Buck_Nasty 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2009
    Laurel County
    Ran across a Accu Trigger Savage Model 10 Predator Hunter the other day in 7mm-08. It has been factory dipped in Brush Camo with a heavy contour barrel. I paid a couple C-Notes down on it so the shop owner would put it back for me. Plan on picking it up in the next few weeks. From what I've been reading, it is a pretty popular caliber with a lot of people. Just wondering if any board members have had any experience with the 7mm-08.

Here is what the rifle looks like minus the matching scope. I've been looking at the Coyote Special scope from Nikon but don't know if it is a brush camo pattern to match the rifle. If not, I'll just strap my spare Leopold VX-2 on it and go from there.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...=130&ty=31&page=2&ndsp=11&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:11

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  2. GSP

GSP 14 Pointer Staff Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    Do a search on the site here. Much talk of the 7mm-08. My opinion it is the best all around KY round you will ever buy.

3. Buck_Nasty

Buck_Nasty 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2009
    Laurel County
    I'm getting that impression from what I've read. I'll do the search on the board as well. The shop owner said it was by far his favorite whitetail caliber.

4. GSP

GSP 14 Pointer Staff Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    It'll whack everything fron gophers to elk. Low recoil, flat shooting.

5. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    I like mine very well.

6. Don't have anything in the caliber but do have a model 10 in 22-250. ACCURATE...to say the least. 1/4" or little less at 100 yards with my handload once I found the right recipe

7. Buck_Nasty

Buck_Nasty 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2009
    Laurel County
    I know it will be accurate. Last year, I had a Model 10 FP in both .308 and .223 and they were both tack drivers. I own Remington as well. However, I'm in agreement with the shop owner, who is a big Remington dealer. He told me rarely did he sell a Remington that would shoot with a Savage right off the shelf. Even though my R700 Tactical shoots lights out, a Savage is right there with it and maybe a little better. At least the 10FP I previously owned was.

8. I'd have to agree. I've sold 3 times as many remingtons as savages, but those that bought the savages couldn't believe how accurate they were out of the box. My LTR is just as accurate as my model 10, the the LTR has had the Remington custom shop treatment and the savage hasn't had a bit of work

9. Buck_Nasty

Buck_Nasty 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2009
    Laurel County
    The only advantages I can see a Remington has is the aftermarket parts market. You can buy just about anything for a R700 these days, while a Savage, not so much. I know the R700 action is legendary, but the Model 10's action was smooth as silk as well. Or at least to me anyway.

One thing I can say though is this. I've never seen a new Savage come right out of the factory sealed box with a bolt handle that had surface rust on it. I can't say the same for the Remington. The SPS Tactical I recently bought, I had to have the shop owner clean the bolt handle because of that very problem. I also made them examine the bore to make sure it was OK before I left with it. I could tell when I showed the shop owner the bolt handle, he was not pleased.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  10. surfshark46

surfshark46 6 pointer

Jul 31, 2010
    Lexington Ky
    7mmx08 ammo can be pricey, other than that you'll like what that gun will do.

11. Buck_Nasty

Buck_Nasty 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2009
    Laurel County
    That's what a RCBS press is for :)

12. bigdale

bigdale 6 pointer

Jan 29, 2010
    30 foot up!
    I have hunted with a Savage 7mm-08 for 20 plus years now. And yes, I would have to say it truley is an awesome set up. I have 3 children that all took their first deer with this gun. I have tried some other calibers during this time but I always go back to my "Ol' Faithful". I can't say enough about this gun. They are very accurate. I use the Remington Core Lok in 140 grain and it does a number. When my children got older and started buying their own guns that bought other calibers but they were never happy with their purchase. We now have 3 7mm-08's in the family.

13. brasskeeper

brasskeeper 6 pointer

Sep 10, 2002
    Richmond
    Its a great round. Love mine.

14. samjoe

samjoe 6 pointer

Oct 26, 2004
    fisherville ky
    Your gonna love that 7/08.And i havent found ammo that much more expensive than some.I shoot the fusions and give about 20 bucks.Whats a gun like that cost?

15. Captain Farrel

Captain Farrel 6 pointer

Oct 1, 2007
    Lexington
    I have a model 10 Siearra, The pre-accutriger series, in 7mm-08 and it drives tacks at 200 yards with the Leupold VX-II and i have taken deer out to 325 cleanly. I shoot remington Cor-loks 140gr. Its a delight to shoot and carry all day. You should be very happy with it.

As far as the 7mm-08, For my money there is no better medium caliber round just seems to shoot extremly flat. The only real trouble i have is availablity of ammo so when i do find it i tend to buy as many boxes as i can. (Just something to keep in mind if you dont reload).

Some ballistics: 7mm-08 http://www.remington.com/pages/news-and-resources/ballistics.aspx

.308 http://www.remington.com/pages/news-and-resources/ballistics.aspx

.270 http://www.remington.com/pages/news-and-resources/ballistics.aspx

16. C.L.Button

C.L.Button 12 pointer

Jan 27, 2005
    Derby City Jungle
    I have 2 rifles chambered in 7mm-08 and love them. Interesting fact about mine is the ammo they fire. The Remington Model 7 loves most all ammo types except Hornady. The Browning A-Bolt loves the Hornady ammo and is all over the map with the other brands. Both have taken game out to about 300yds.

17. samjoe

samjoe 6 pointer

Oct 26, 2004
    fisherville ky
    Yeah,my 700 wont shoot the Hornady's either.I 've settled on the fusion's.

18. WILD

WILD 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2009
    hick town,ky
    7mm-08 is not high.it is my favorite caliber.has as much knockdown power as a 30-06 does at 400 yards.the.284=7mm bullet is the most gravity defing bullet there is..to me i think its the best caliber there is.just my opinion.you didnt go wrong,you will love the caliber,and is deadly on deer..have fun.