Remington Model 582 .22 long/short Need Help!

Discussion in 'Modern Firearms' started by Turtleky, Oct 10, 2004.

1. Turtleky

Turtleky 10 pointer

My father-n-law bought an old Model 582 off of a guy the other day. We have worked and worked and cannot figure out how to get the bolt out to clean the gun good. Does anyone know anything about these guns?
    Please help.

2. steelslinger

steelslinger 10 pointer

Dec 29, 2003
    Union County, KY, USA.
    Your in luck, I have one and love it. Raise the bolt and draw it to the rear. Place the safety to fire then push the safety forward and it will release the bolt. To reinstall just slide it back in.

3. Turtleky

Turtleky 10 pointer

Thanks so much. I'll try it as soon as I get back over there. We tried every variable with the trigger and safety we could think of. We even took the stock of the darn thing trying to do it. I'll let you know if I have any more trouble.

4. steelslinger

steelslinger 10 pointer

Dec 29, 2003
    Union County, KY, USA.
    NP, I had to get the gun and try it before I posted just to make sure, also to try to describe the procedure. BTW, is it tube or mag fed? Mine is tube fed.

5. Turtleky

Turtleky 10 pointer

His is tube fed also. Open sites. Gun seems to shoot good, we enjoyed plinking around with it today. He was at a local gun shop down here and some older man had tried to trade it in and they wouldn't give him anything for it. When he walked outside the old man offered to sell it to him. He bought it real cheap. I think he said $60, I figure any rifle that shoots is worth that, especially a remington, it seem to shoot great.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2004
  6. steelslinger

steelslinger 10 pointer

Dec 29, 2003
    Union County, KY, USA.
    OMG, thats a deal, the 582's are selling around 150-200, I've been looking for another one but all the ones I've seen havn't been taken care of very well and they still want around 150. The one I have was gave to me by my dad and I would like to have another to hunt with. Mine is super accurate, I love it.

7. Turtleky

Turtleky 10 pointer

Yea, I told him it looked like an excellent deal to me. He seems real happy with it, I think he will be happier when we get the bolt out. I think I'll head over there now and try it. I'll leave it on his table with the bolt out. That will allow me to mess with his head a little bit when he asks me how I did it.
    Thanks again.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2004
  8. Turtleky

Turtleky 10 pointer

Well I'm back, it worked like a charm. I can't believe we didn't try that. I kinda thought we did, but obviously not. :) Thanks again for all your help. The internet is a wonderful thing.

9. steelslinger

steelslinger 10 pointer

Dec 29, 2003
    Union County, KY, USA.
    YW, like the messing with his head lol, tell him he wasn't holding his mouth right lol.

10. Turtleky

Turtleky 10 pointer

Yea, the bummer is he had just got home when I got there, I went ahead and showed him. :)

11. bck-skinnr

bck-skinnr 6 pointer

My Pop Has An Old Remington .22 Tube Fed Pump Rifle. He Told Me
    Back When He Could See Good That He Could Strike Matches W/ It.
    It Has A Copper Coated Barrell And I Do Not Know The Model

12. steelslinger

steelslinger 10 pointer

Dec 29, 2003
    Union County, KY, USA.
    My dad owns one of those. Remington Model 12 c octagon bbl, steel butt plate, patent date Apr 14, 1912. I've checked into the seriel numbers and the gun was manufactured in 1914 but Remington didn't give me an exact date. My dad bought it in 1956 for $35, mostly in pennies lol. It was the 1st gun he ever bought, he was 14 years old. He gave the gun to my grandpa, and got it back when grandpa passed. I still shoot it from time to time, even took it squirrel hunting this year and killed 4 that morning. Don't know about striking matches but I can put 10 shots in a 1/2" circle at 50 yards with open sights.

There are 3 models of the #12, a, b, c, a and b where shorter gallery guns. The c is the hunting model

The apprasial value is $300-400 for it's condition, not bad for a $35 gun lol.