Rattlesnakes question

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by bigsouthforkboy, Jul 23, 2009.

1. bigsouthforkboy

bigsouthforkboy 6 pointer

Nov 7, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN, USA.
    is it legal to kill rattlesnakes on private land in Kentucky?

2. fergdog78

fergdog78 Spike

Jul 21, 2009
    Nashville, TN
    All snakes are federally protected, you can only kill one if you are in danger is what i have been told. But you may want to do more research on it.

3. Mr.Bro

Mr.Bro 6 pointer

Apr 16, 2009
    If there is not a season for it you cannot kill it.Legally.

4. beards-n-bone

beards-n-bone 10 pointer

Nov 12, 2008
    Pulaski Co.
    The ethics police must have turned in early tonight, so I will speak on their behalf..........The correct approach would to call your local game warden and together see if you can thru conversation talk the said rattlesnake into leaving your hunting land, or better yet committ suicide. This however should be left up to the snake without any assistance from you.:rolleyes:

5. grouser68

grouser68 Banned

Jan 29, 2006
    Guys, this question perked my interest. I have been all over the net researching.I really don't think it's illegal to kill rattlers here, or anywhere else.I did find that only one venomous snake in ky. is endangered, the pigmy rattler.Ky., and a few other southern states do have regulations stating that you can't have wild snakes, without a permit.That you can't sell snakes, without a permit, and that you can't transport snakes.What I read said these regualtions were put into place because of the snake handling churches.I also read that the regulations in the 5-6 southern states were the only ones pertaining to rattlers.Apparently, rattle snake roundups are still going on, and legal to kill them.Pa. has a $5. permit to take two timber rattlers during their roundups.I still think it's legal to kill rattlers here in Ky.

My bad, the western pigmy rattler is'nt endangered!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
  6. GSP

GSP 14 Pointer Staff Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    What is the season for pigeons and starlings?

7. GSP

GSP 14 Pointer Staff Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose

Where you getting this info?

8. sheperd

sheperd 10 pointer

Nov 4, 2003
    Bardstown, Ky
    I have always tried to move the snakes to a different location. The snakes seem to be depressed or something though. Everytime I try to move one, it committs suicide on my shovel or ginseng digger. I just don't understand why they keep doing this. I haven't successfully relocated one alive yet. Puzzling.

9. KY_Fried

KY_Fried 10 pointer

Nov 13, 2003
    Foster, KY, USA.
    I'm 99% sure it's not illegal to kill snakes in KY and 100% sure that if it is it's not enforced at all.

10. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County

Or for rats and mice for that matter?

11. wprebeck

wprebeck 10 pointer

Jun 7, 2004
    Louisville, KY.
    What about cockroaches, ants, silverfish, termites, and other critters that pop up from time to time in the house? I guess I better call my local conservation officer and turn myself in for killing them.

Speaking to the original poster -

I seem to recall a question similar to this being posed on one of the KY Afield call-in shows. IIRC, there exists a statute that allows one to possess something like five of any native wildlife that's not protected or that doesn't fall under some type of season/bag limits. I don't know how correct I am about that, so don't go quoting me on it. I'm somewhat interested to know the answer as well, since I've considered buying a pair of snake boots and going out to my acreage to find a timber rattler or two for some nice meat and skins.

I'd guess it's OK, as long as I'm not making some of type of business out of it....I don't really know.

12. Kcoyboy

Kcoyboy Banned

Feb 28, 2008
    pidgeons starlings sparrows moles and snakes can be killed year round in Kentucky from what ive read but call the fish and game to be sure. Crows can be taken during the crow season with a migratory bird license. Believe it or not the stupid federal government reclassified crows about 10 or 12 years ago. They are a true pest and should be shot year round like years ago. (great fun too with a call) Now they say If a crow is in a cornfield or other crop you can shoot it. But no crow calling year round!! now you do need a current hunting license to kill the above vermin! (dont know about the snakes) good luck hope this has helped out. By the way there is no reference in the hunting reg guide that says you need a migratory license to hunt crows but I called Frankfort and you do need one.

13. xtremewhitetail

xtremewhitetail Spike

Jun 18, 2009
    whitesburg,ky
    the only good snake is a dead snake...no matter waht kind,water,black,rattle,or copperhard..doint matter to me ill kill every one i see....that just the way i feel.

14. RVtech24

RVtech24 12 pointer

Mar 29, 2007
    The Deep Woods
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I let the black snakes take care of rattlers.

15. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    Them big black snakes freak me out when you see them sitting in the sun in spring. Landowner killed one on the farm I hunt in Adams Co. OH. I could hold the tail above my head and the head almost touched the ground. Yikes!!:eek:

16. AteUp

AteUp 12 pointer

Mar 14, 2004
    Luavul
    I couldn't find it anywhere, but I swear I thought the guide always said you could kill all snakes except the Copperbelly water snake.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
  17. bigsouthforkboy

bigsouthforkboy 6 pointer

Nov 7, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN, USA.
    This is the durndest thing. No one seems to have the definitive answer about it. I couldn't find it spelled out clear on the internet search either. I do not think they are considered endangered though, that much seems clear.

18. wprebeck

wprebeck 10 pointer

Jun 7, 2004
    Louisville, KY.
    Where at? I'll be down there for the in-law's family reunion this Saturday..I'd love to get a treat to bring back home!!!

19. BadDuck

BadDuck 12 pointer

Aug 13, 2007
    Bullitt County
    Timber rattlers are protected in ohio as well.

It is legal to kill them in Ky. I have asked our C.O.