Public Hunting Near Lexington

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by iwant2killbambi, Apr 14, 2013.

1. iwant2killbambi

iwant2killbambi Spike

Sep 3, 2007
    Good evening folks, I'm in school at UK 3.5 hours from home. Does anyone know where there is public land to turkey hunt on near the Lexington/Fayette area? Thanks

2. mike_b

mike_b 8 pointer

Aug 8, 2010
    Ledbetter
    Veterans memorial WMA. Good luck. Nothing in Fayette.

3. SwitchbacKM

SwitchbacKM Spike

Nov 19, 2011
    Hiding in trees
    When I was at UK, I hunted in Owen Co. at Kleber WMA. Take I-64 north to the
    Georgetown exit (40 minute drive). Kleber has really good turkey and deer hunting.

4. Gixxerjoe04

Gixxerjoe04 10 pointer

Dec 14, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    When I was looking at wma's around lexington, kleber and veterans I think have fall turkey hunting but doesn't say spring turkey season, anyone know why that is?

5. chris149

chris149 12 pointer

Jun 17, 2009
    KY
    Could make a hr. drive to DBNF around Morehead area.

6. HUNTZVT

HUNTZVT 12 pointer

That might be an option in the middle of the week or later in the season on the weekend, but DB is full of FIFO's right now.

7. Gixxerjoe04

Gixxerjoe04 10 pointer

Dec 14, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    Anyone ever go to KY River WMA?

8. Fence post

Fence post Spike

Apr 7, 2013
    They are open to spring turkey hunting. You are looking at annual fall hunting guide so spring season info is not included.

9. Fence post

Fence post Spike

Apr 7, 2013
    Yes. Just be prepared to have company in the form of other hunters and pressured birds..same as any public land.

10. Gixxerjoe04

Gixxerjoe04 10 pointer

Dec 14, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    Ahhhhh, think I might try at ky river wma this week in the morning, hoping during the week not too many venture out there.

11. Fence post

Fence post Spike

Apr 7, 2013
    Good luck and be careful. I've seen trucks from Mighigan, New York, Ohio, Indiana just this week. There are good birds there if you can get on one. Call soft and not very often.

12. mike_b

mike_b 8 pointer

Aug 8, 2010
    Ledbetter
    This isn't always true. The number of hunters and pressure on birds is inversely proportional to the ease of access. If you get busy and get off the beaten path and far away from parking lots, you can find yourself alone. Of course the ky river wma isn't big enough for that. Kleber is though.

13. Fence post

Fence post Spike

Apr 7, 2013
    Ky River WMA consists of more acreage than Kleber.
    Veterans Memorial WMA is also bigger than Kleber.

14. WaterDog88

WaterDog88 10 pointer

Jul 28, 2008
    Kentucky
    Kleber was a parking lot this past weekend.

15. Gixxerjoe04

Gixxerjoe04 10 pointer

Dec 14, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    Ended up going out there this morning before work, only one other car there and was from indiana. Went to the chesney(think that's what it's called) section off 533. Didn't hear a whole lot of gobbling like i thought we would, probably heard 3 diff birds and they were all coming from the parking area or across the road from it and didn't hear them until we were deep into it of course. Nice fields full of clover, would be good for deer I'd think but aint no way of parking and getting up the hill without being covered in sweat and giving off a lot of scent, plus if you got a deer getting it down would be hell. Def isn't for the out of shape hunter

16. sking

sking Spike

Apr 17, 2006
    Mt. Sterling Ky.
    Veterans memorial take 75 north to Cherry Blossom exit make a left at end of ramp follow to road # 25 turn right and follow to 620 turn right WMA is on the left when go under the bridge for the interstate. Good Hunting hope this helps