Possum fangs?

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by AteUp, Jan 16, 2009.

1. AteUp

AteUp 12 pointer

Mar 14, 2004
    Luavul
    Had a big old possum that lived around the house for years. Found him in the yard dead yesterday. Stuck him in the trash this morning and couldn't believe the fangs on this guy. I had no idea their canines stuck outside their mouth like that. Nose to tail he was easily 3 ft long. Wonder what the neighbors thought about me taking pictures of my garbage on the street this morning at 6am in -1 temps.:D

[​IMG]

2. skin_dog1

skin_dog1 BBBC Members

Jan 2, 2004
    Alvaton, KY, USA.
    they have to have teeth like that to tear a hole in the rear end of a cow so they can get in where the good stuff is!

3. turkeytalker

turkeytalker Banned

Nov 3, 2004
    I looked at the picture first. I thought it was passed out:confused:.

4. AteUp

AteUp 12 pointer

Mar 14, 2004
    Luavul
    So is it normal for them to have such large canines like that or was this one just really old? I've never noticed them on any other possums that I have enjoyed gazing at in my spare time over the years.;)

5. treerat

treerat 12 pointer

Nov 8, 2004
    Hickory KY
    thats what happens when there is to much inbreeding,,,:D:eek::D

6. headoftheholler

headoftheholler 12 pointer

Oct 16, 2007
    Getshot, KY
    I would've let it walk. Be a booner in a couple years. :D

7. deadaim

deadaim 12 pointer

Dec 12, 2001
    Booger Hollar
    Can you get it back out of the garbage and give us some measurements ? :)

8. KYhunter79

KYhunter79 12 pointer

Dec 11, 2003
    Irvington, KY
    Like turkey said, he just passed out. Bring home a crave case and he'll wake up and grab 1 or 10....

9. RVtech24

RVtech24 12 pointer

Mar 29, 2007
    The Deep Woods
    [​IMG]

Possum... it's what's for supper

10. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    Yes its normal..Possums have more teeth than any other land animal if Im not mistaken..Over 50 I think and believe me that they can give on heck of a painful bite when they want too :eek:

11. lab

lab I'm not a people person.

I can't believe that your garbage people would pick it up. Our garbage service will not pick up the trash if the find any animal/animal part in the can. I had thrown away an old tail fan off of a turkey that my wife's father had kept and they left me a note saying that they would not pick it up because of "animal parts".

12. AteUp

AteUp 12 pointer

Mar 14, 2004
    Luavul
    Never had any animal parts refused, even back when they dumped them by hand. Now they have an automatic arms on the trucks that pick the cans up and dump them.

13. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    Ive had whole carcasses in garbage bags befor..Never had a problem..Usually most of mine go to a "bait pile"..50-60 beaver carcasses can cause quit a stink :D

14. slickhead slayer

slickhead slayer 12 pointer

Bud Light, Wicks Pizza and a Possum, only in your trash Terry.

15. AteUp

AteUp 12 pointer

Mar 14, 2004
    Luavul
    I swear, I knew you were going to ID that pizza box. I just knew it.:eek: I love me some Wick's. They deliver to my house too. (and I enjoy a little Bud Light from time to time.):D

16. Strutter

Strutter Cyber-Hunter

Dec 9, 2001
    USA.
    Didn't you read the post about bringing your pets inside when it gets cold? Now your pet possum done up and froze to death and you just toss him out. You should be ashamed.:D

Rob

17. Snareman2

Snareman2 12 pointer

Feb 25, 2007
    52 teeth! You should have at least skinned him out, no use in throwing away his fur coat.:D

18. JP

JP 10 pointer

Jul 8, 2004
    Carroll County
    I picked a friend up one time and he was attempting to eradicate one from his garage. I will tell you, that day, I learned how many teeth those buggers have...they snarl and show them when they are pissed quite well. Although, your pic is cute..a drunk possum and all....almost looks like this

Attached Files:

19. Hoosier5

Hoosier5 Banned

Sep 6, 2004
    Northern Taylor Co.
    Correct!! They are also very primitive mammals and belong to the Marsupial class of mammals

20. slickhead slayer

slickhead slayer 12 pointer

I love Wicks to, its the bomb.