peabody wma

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by big buck killer, Mar 18, 2008.

1. big buck killer

big buck killer Fawn

Mar 18, 2008
    hart county ky
    does anybody hunt the peabody wma? has anybody killed any good bucks there? also looking for a hunting partner

2. MikeKy

MikeKy 10 pointer

Feb 17, 2008
    I don't deer hunt on Peabody but did see a few really nice bucks on it last fall. One really nice one. In Ohio Co.

3. I never have hunted it, I used to fish the heck out of it but they closed the area I used most often. Alot of land has been sold and is being remined. I just don't want to mess with it during rifle season period.

4. schroader

schroader 10 pointer

Dec 27, 2004
    down by the river,,,
    Where most of the hunting took place is still there. Only one that is closed is the Midway track. There is STILL over 2-3,000 + that you can hunt.

5. Cool, I just haven't had time to head that way and check it out, I drove past the main haul road and saw it was closed and got an update map but haven't checked it over yet.

6. Matt722mx

Matt722mx 10 pointer

Oct 25, 2007
    Louisville, Kentucky
    I have hunted there the past 3 gun seasons and have yet to see a deer. I did see alot of good deer sign.

7. Dave62

Dave62 6 pointer

Jan 17, 2008
    Breckinridge Co., KY
    I have duck/goose hunted there many times but I never deer hunted it. I did hunt on a lease nearby the last year of checkstations before telecheck, and saw some nice deer being checked in from Peabody. Several were real nice.

8. swamper

swamper 6 pointer

Dec 29, 2004
    Actually, there is still around 40,000 acres you can hunt. Midway, most of Alston, and the Ken Lake area have all been lost. Everything north of the parkway in Ohio Co. is in limbo, but some land still remains there. You can get the most accurate maps by going to the F&W website.

There are plenty of deer on the area, and quite a few nice bucks come off of it yearly. If you bowhunt, it's a dream....if you gun hunt, be prepared to share the area.

9. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    Much of that 40000 acres is huge open areas that may not be good for hunting. I think the good huntable land would be far less.

10. swamper

swamper 6 pointer

Dec 29, 2004
    It is mostly strip mine ground....it all may not be the best for deer hunting, but that isn't the only species hunted there. Those open areas get heavy pressure for rabbit, quail, and woodcock. The area is much more diverse than you'd think, and it is fairly easy to kill deer there. I hunted there 1 time, during the last weekend of rifle season a couple of years ago, and shot a doe in 45 minutes...you just have to know where to go and how to use the open areas to your advantage. The 5 largest deer I've seen on the hoof on Peabody have been in the open strip areas, 3 of them were together 2 Decembers ago, standing in the middle of the sinclair tract in open sericea, and all were close to 140 or better. The 4th was about 145-150 and on the defunct Alston tract, and the last one was this past season...another ~150 on Hopewell. They love to bed in those open areas.

11. turk2di

turk2di Cyber-Hunter

Feb 25, 2003
    Henderson, Ky
    Isn't Gilbraltar closed?

12. longspur37

longspur37 Spike

Apr 3, 2008
    down the holler
    There is not much public ground around rockport any more!

13. longspur37

longspur37 Spike

Apr 3, 2008
    down the holler
    Most all the big bucks lays pretty tight to.

14. Matt722mx

Matt722mx 10 pointer

Oct 25, 2007
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Yea I agree with you on that. I'm sure there is some big one's out there but they are hiding out.

15. longspur37

longspur37 Spike

Apr 3, 2008
    down the holler
    Early bow season you can see some nice bucks. But as soon as more an more people get to stirrin around ol mr buck goes in to hiding