Peabody Coal Comp Ground

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Beehunter, Dec 8, 2007.

1. Beehunter

Beehunter Fawn

Nov 23, 2007
    Beehunter Marsh, Indiana
    Is Peabody ground still open for hunting and fishing in Kentucky? I live in Southern Indiana and Peabody has closed all of its active and non active property for hunting and fishing for the last five years or so. I read alot on KY forums and notice alot of guys mention Peabody ground. It just makes me sick that I can't hunt my old coal mine ground anymore. It was some of the best habitat around.

2. raktrakr

raktrakr Cyber-Hunter

Jan 20, 2002
    central ky
    Most of it is but not sure how much. Some of the locals here should be able to provide more info on which tracts are still open

3. BIRDDOG18

BIRDDOG18 6 pointer

Dec 4, 2006
    rabbitt or quail hunting

4. TMSMITH505

TMSMITH505 Fawn

Oct 23, 2006
    Peabody

if your talking about Peabody in ohio and mulenburg co. in ky its open year around. Some has been sold off but still have about 40 or 50 thousand acres.

5. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Don't forget the needed permit

6. Beehunter

Beehunter Fawn

Nov 23, 2007
    Beehunter Marsh, Indiana
    I am talking about being open in general for hunting or fishing. I just don't see why Peabody has a different policy about hunting in Indiana than they do in Kentucky. I would glady pay for a permit to hunt. I do know that as soon as Peabody merged with Black Beuty coal company that it was the end of all recreational activities on Peabody ground. I don't neccesarly want to come to KY and hunt Peabody ground but was just wondering if it was still open for huntng.

7. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Didn't they turn several 1000 acres of Peabody coal property into F&W area's in Indiana ? Seems like I can remember three that were at one time.

8. Beehunter

Beehunter Fawn

Nov 23, 2007
    Beehunter Marsh, Indiana
    They turned about 3700 acres up the road from me into FW area but they still have vast amounts of ground locke dup in my area. I know the state has bought some ground off of Peabody down around Evansville but I have never been there.

9. swamper

swamper 6 pointer

Dec 29, 2004
    Yes, Peabody WMA is still open for hunting. Don't get confused with what is happening in IN vs here though. Around 30,000 acres of Peabody WMA in KY is owned by the department of F&W, and they lease the other acres from Peabody Coal and various subsidiaries. The owned property has nothing to do with Peabody Coal other than being named "Peabody" WMA...so it will always be open for public hunting/fishing. The leased acres are quickly being sold off or re-opened for active mining by the coal companies.

10. Yeah, ALOT of land has been sold...still a ton left though. Also quite a few mines have reopened and are no longer available for public access. Just get an updated map, they show what is open and not, then have at it!

11. Tom Threetoes

Tom Threetoes 8 pointer

Oct 4, 2002
    southern Indiana.
    The 1000 acres near Evansville was Amax property. It's called Blue Grass F&W Area. A couple of outfits have tried to lease the Peabody property here including T/C who ended up in Sturgis KY. Supposedly Peabody is extremely hard to deal with.

12. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Just off the top of my head was not Minnehaha, Chinook, Sugar ridge and Goose pond not Peabody property at one time ? Also Sullivan state forest and Pike state forest. Looks like Indiana came up with more public hunting on Peabody than Ky did with the one area.

13. Beehunter

Beehunter Fawn

Nov 23, 2007
    Beehunter Marsh, Indiana
    Greene Sullivan State forest was Peabody ground and I think Minnehaha was Amax ground if I am not mistaken. Goosepond was owned by a private individual. I have around 27,000 acres of state owned ground within a 20 min drive of me so I guess I have no reason to compalin.

14. Tom Threetoes

Tom Threetoes 8 pointer

Oct 4, 2002
    southern Indiana.
    Chinook was Amax I think, and Sugar Ridge was Enos Coal Co. which was later bought out by Old Ben Coal. I'm not sure about Pike State forest but most of it has not been stripped. If it was coal company ground it would have been Old Ben Coal.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2007
  15. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

I used to hunt part of the Pike State forest south of Petersburg when I was working on a power plant east of town. The area I hunted had been stripped years before. Shallow pits with very small spoil banks. There was a nice campground located there in that area the state took good care of that was used by deer hunters a lot.