Opinions on Matthews Q2XL

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by viper, Nov 24, 2003.

1. viper

viper 6 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    Central KY
    I wanted to get some opinions on a Matthews Q2XL that my wife bought for me from eBay. I am not supposed to know, I found out by accident. The bow was used one season and the seller guarantied the bow or we can send it back. From the pictures the bow appears to be like new and is the newest model. Here is everything included.

- Q2XL, 70LB, 30 inch draw
    - Matching Matthews one piece quiver
    - Archers Choice 3 pin lighted fiber optic sight
    - Whisker Biscuit Drop-tine rest
    - X-Ring stabilizer
    - 9 PSE Carbon Force Dominator 300s
    - 4 Goldtip 55/75s
    - 7 Muzzy 4 blade broadheads (3 still in package)
    - Tru-Fire release
    - Rattle bag
    - Hard case

I have heard Matthews bows are great. I am currently shooting a 3-year-old Jennings BuckMaster with Easton 2213’s. It has been a great bow and I have taken many deer. It shoots about 270 FPS, 70lb and 30in draw. She paid $650 with shipping included for the Matthews. I’m not sure which components of each bow I’ll keep, but I am going to switch to the carbon arrows. I will package my bow and accessories and sell.

I was wondering if we had gotten a good deal for everything. I believe the bow retails for $659 by itself. I was also wondering if anyone shoots this bow and their thoughts

Thanks!.

2. Hammer

Hammer 12 pointer

Sep 2, 2002
    Bowling Green, Ky.
    I think she paid a bit much for it, but looks like a nice setup. That's the bow I shoot, and I love it.

3. viper

viper 6 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    Central KY
    Thanks Hammer! What do you think would have been a good price? Wonder if I should have just bought a new one? I added up the bow and all the accessories and came up with about $1000. About what is the bow selling for in pro shops?

4. deadaim

deadaim 12 pointer

Dec 12, 2001
    Booger Hollar
    most mathews bows on ebay and other auction sites almost go for the retail price of a new bow !

5. Ralph

Ralph Cyber-Hunter

Aug 30, 2002
    Viper, I have a Q2, which is shorter than the XL. I LOVE IT[8D] You can't go wrong, I don't think. I'll tell you one thing, whatever the advertised speed is of the bow, it will do it. I shoot my Q2 at about 57lb @ 27 1/2" & it shoots my Gold Tips @ 252 fps. As for the price, I think it was pretty good for all the stuff that came with it, if you use the stuff. Tell her you LOVE it, anyway[;)] I been married for over 31 years, so I know what I'm talking about[:eek:)] You'll love the bow[:)] Check out the classifieds on ArcheryTalk.com for an idea of what they go for. Most aren't sold with all the goodies you got[:(]

Ralph

6. hillbilly2163

hillbilly2163 Banned

Aug 19, 2003
    nice bow...about triple what one should pay for a good bow.

get a browning or a darton and go on a hunting trip with the rest of the money.

7. hillbilly2163

hillbilly2163 Banned

Aug 19, 2003

8. hillbilly2163

hillbilly2163 Banned

Aug 19, 2003

9. glenn

glenn Spike

Don't feel bad....not a terribly high price for what you got.

10. Hammer

Hammer 12 pointer

Sep 2, 2002
    Bowling Green, Ky.
    viper, not sure about all the accessories and what they are worth. I guess if you can use everything as is and just have to get it zoned in on your target, it's a good deal.

I traded in my Reflex and got mine for 240. Added 120 dollars worth of stuff including arrows. The main thing I would worry about with a bow from ebay is getting it worked on for a reasonable fee. More likely to get ripped off at the local pro shop if you didn't buy from them. However, if you can do all the work yourself, you might have come out good. Nice start anyway, and a heck of a nice gift. I bet your honey-do list just multiplied! Good luck getting out to the woods to use it, lol!

11. viper

viper 6 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    Central KY
    Thanks for all the input!

I feel pretty good about it. A great thought on the behalf of my wife. I wanted a new bow and wanted a Matthews. I have always wanted to switch to carbon arrow, but always have had aluminum. I really like the one-piece Matthews quiver. I have really nice accessories with my bow. I can mix and match with the ones on the Matthews and then sell my current bow with all the needed accessories. It is kind of like this, I bow hunt 95% of the time so at least I'll have a nice, shoot able, fast bow.

Hammer, as far as the honey-do list it may not get any worse, but I better get her something nice for X-mas. We have two children under six, so we stay pretty busy, but I can go hunting most any morning without a problem. I'm thinking of taking my five-year-old hunting during muzzle loading season. I thought of making a ground blind and bringing him some books. He loves being in the woods and going where ever I go. The problem will be keeping him from talking. As far as getting the bow worked on, I used to work in Danville and got to using the local pro shop. Before season started they put a power cable on my Jennings and didn't charge me hardly anything and did it while waited, also I used to shoot my bow there during my lunch hour.

12. Southern Ohio Bowhunter

Southern Ohio Bowhunter Fawn

Nov 20, 2003
    Great bow, I hunt with one myself, fast, very quiet, and easy to shoot. I don't care much for whisker biscuits, some folks say they will impact your accuracy over over 20 yards. Sounds like a good price because it's ready to go. Mathews bows are expensive but they are the best, lifetime warranty, no questions asked, for the original owner. That's the best part. Nice present from the wife, I bet more of us wish our wives would buy us hunting equipment!

13. c100max

c100max 8 pointer

Nov 10, 2003
    fle-burg
    I don't think you got ripped too bad viper. Hammer gave $360 plus his bow, which was probably worth $275-$325, depending on what model and what kind of shape is was in. Do the math and it comes out to close to the same. I hope you enjoy it and have plenty of success with your new toy!!! HAPPY HUNTING[:D]

If It Flies It Dies...TAKEM'