New bow

Discussion in 'Archery Equipment' started by Mainbeam, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Mainbeam

Mainbeam 12 pointer

Jul 7, 2012
    Well i got this deal about gettin a new bow every year. I like to buy a new to me bow every year off of archery talk. This year my purchase is a new obsession phoenix. Any of you fellers shot that brand. Im hearing great things but my bow hasnt got here yet. I thought when it gets here i might do a little review.

2. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Haven't but heard they are darn nice bows.

3. Mainbeam

Mainbeam 12 pointer

Jul 7, 2012
    Iv gotta run it down to burkesville to have a peep installed and ill be ready to set it up. I will say the draw cycle is like nothing iv ever felt before. I cant even describe it. So smooth and no hump. Very generous valley and the backwall is the most solid iv ever felt. Im for certain this thing is going to be a forgiving screamer!!!! More info to come
    I would post a pic but i aint got this new thing figured out on here

4. richief

richief 10 pointer

Jun 20, 2012
    down a holler SE KY
    Sounds like everything you want in a bow. Good luck with it.
    Just out of curiosity, with a new bow every year I would be interested in your opinion of which were the three best bows you have owned so far.
    My newest bow is a sbxt, about 10 yrs old but might need another bow, and prob go newer than that.

5. Mainbeam

Mainbeam 12 pointer

Jul 7, 2012
    Iv got this deal worked out on buying bows because they depreciate so quickly.i start searching archerytalk every year around may. Now i mean i go to bed every night looking at that sight scanning for a deal and i always find it . I usually find a leftover bow from the previous year for a smoking deal and for as long as i can remember i either get my money back or profit up to 150 bucks has been my best. I havent lost a penny ona bow in 7 or 8 years. So to answer your question on my top 3.
    Elite is a fine bow. Very smooth plenty of speed and you dont have to be a pro to shoot it very well. My second top that i liked very well was the hoyt charger. I also had the high dollar hoyt carbon g3 and the hoyt charger was way more impressive than that high dollar chunk of carbon lol. The charger was also about 600 cheaper !!! My 3rd choice would be a bear motive 6 probably. Man that thing was sweet. My son is shooting a bear anarchy hc right now and he loves it. Bear makes some real shooters these days. I honestly think this obsession is gonna take top honors but its still to early to tell.

6. richief

richief 10 pointer

Jun 20, 2012
    down a holler SE KY
    I am curious about the new bows, havent really been searching or shot one since my legacy or sbxt still shoot great for me, but youngest boy is man size now, so prob hand them down, and get myself a newer bow. Which elite was it you liked, the e35?

7. Mainbeam

Mainbeam 12 pointer

Jul 7, 2012
    Cant really go wrong with any elite. Just shoot em all and decide what you like . Some like a short ata some like a long. I have shot the answer and the synergy and both were awesome.

richief likes this.
  8. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    I had an Obsession Lethal Force. It was a great shooter but it was bad about cam lean. That's the bad part with bianary cam bows. They have an awesome valley and very little vibration.

I bought a Mathews Halon 6 this year. It's heavier with less valley but it's very smooth and I'm more accurate than any bow I've shot.

The bad part with the Obsessions is the resale sucks with them. The lesser known brands just crash when it comes to value. Great bows though.

9. Mainbeam

Mainbeam 12 pointer

Jul 7, 2012
    Ill keep a check on the cam lean. Oh and resale values do suck. Mine was brand new and i only paid half of retail value so i should be ok. I was seriously considerin a halon 6 but i just dont do Matthews. Sine the switchback xt there bows just went to poop. Thats only my oppinion i know guys that love them there just not my cup of tea. But that halon6 is a eye catcher for sure.

10. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    If you're on the buyer end, the low resale is a great thing. ;)

I think you will love the bow. They are a top end bow for sure.

11. Carpdaddy

Carpdaddy 8 pointer

May 12, 2016
    Corbin, Ky
    I get a new hunting bow every year also, some years two. Build it myself in my garage. Lol

12. Mainbeam

Mainbeam 12 pointer

Jul 7, 2012
    iv been fooling with traditional bows some and it is very interesting.

13. Mainbeam

Mainbeam 12 pointer

Jul 7, 2012
    Well the new toy is set up. Shooting a whisker biscuit and trophy ridge sights. Leading up to now if you wanted a fast bow you had to sacrifice accuracy. Not with this rascal. I am shooting my top pin out to 30 yrds. 20 yards im dead nuts and 30 yards im 1-1/2 low!!!!! I shot with my neighbor last night and hes on the hunt for the exact same bow lol. The bow is completely dead in the hand at the shot. You shoot and your like .......uh ok did this thing even go off. The draw cycle is second to none that i have shot. Not even a elite (and im a elite fan for sure.they are great bows (
    Theres no hump in the cycle that i could tell. No trying to rip your shoulder off if you get caught creeping. Now for accuracy. This thing make a mediocre shooter (thats me) look like a pretty damn good shot. I get paper blind or at least thats what i call it. I can stare at a dot on the target and it messes with me or something. But i put a ski can on the target and i can just focus like none other. Ye i know im weird but anyway at 20 yards i could put 2 arrows dead center of the can arrows touching. Backed up to 30 and put two more in the bottom portion of the can. Fletchings touching. Backed up to fourty and put one arrow dead center and touched the can with the other. If somebody like meador got ahold of this thing they may just be the next levi morgan lmao. So needless to say this Obsession phoenix has surpassed every expectation i could have possibly dreamed up. The only con i have is it might be a smidge on the heavy side but i do believe the weight helps me to hold rock steady on my target. The bow was very well balanced so i just went with a 4 inch nap stabilizer. If you think you cant have screamin speed with a super accurate 7 inch brace bow then think again. If any of you fellas are in the market for a bow give a obsession a look. I think it will be a pleasurable experience whether you buy it or not.

14. richief

richief 10 pointer

Jun 20, 2012
    down a holler SE KY
    Nice, sounds like a deer killer. Only worries now is getting the deer to show up. Lol good luck with it this yr.

15. Coom

Coom Fawn

Feb 17, 2014
    I have a Phoenix and the newer M6. Can't go wrong with them in my opinion.