New Arkansas State Record Crappie(5 Pounds)

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by billproxs, Jun 21, 2011.

1. billproxs

billproxs 12 pointer

Nov 1, 2009
    KENTUCKY LAKE
    The Crappie in the picture does not look anywhere near 5 pounds, it looks much smaller.

2. westkybanded

westkybanded 12 pointer

Feb 23, 2004
    Murray, Kentucky, USA.
    Bill, I'm with you... Unless that kid is about 6'4"...

3. mrdux

mrdux Guest

I'm calling BS on this from the pic and the measurements. I mounted a black crappie a few years ago that was 20.75 inches long and 14 inch girth that weighed 4 pounds even.

4. Catfish Willy

Catfish Willy 6 pointer

Oct 27, 2010
    Henry County
    Nice crappie! But it is no 5 pounder. I have never weighed a crappie but I have caught several in the 17-18 inch range that were as fat as could be. I all ways thought they were about 3 pounds or a little more but not 5.

5. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    Must have been using one of those Zebco Deliar scales... :D

No way that fish in the photo is 5 lbs.

6. JasonGoneFishing

JasonGoneFishing 12 pointer

Nov 26, 2007
    Kentucky
    I’m not one to discriminate the weight of a fish, but this one is hard not to. Even if this crappie was full of eggs, it wouldn’t see 5lbs, crappie can hold a lot of eggs, but not 1lb worth even at this big. The photo below is from KY’s old state record and it was 4lbs, 14ozs at 21.5” with an 18” girth.

[​IMG]

Whatever scale they used is not certified or needs to be recertified after being recalibrated. Now it is a very nice crappie, bigger than what I have caught and nice to see him with it, my biggest is a tad over 16”. I like having records as much as other people but I think people are being cheated out of this one. He is even holding the crappie right next to his body, there just isn’t 5lbs there. Now I’m not saying a fish that is under 21” can’t be 5lbs, the current world record crappie is 19” but it built like a tank, see photo below, it was 5lbs 2ozs.

[​IMG]

There was a 6lb Crappie supposedly caught in 1969 but there is no photo and it couldn’t be verified, no length or girth was stated that I could find. Kansas has a state record 4lb White Crappie that is 17” long and a black crappie at 4lbs 10oz at 22” long, I’m thinking this little boys crappie weighs around the 4lb mark, give or tank a few ounces.

The Crappie below is 4lbs 7 oz. at 19” long and a 16” girth

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But then again I could be completely wrong....

7. Y Hunt

Y Hunt Fawn

Jan 19, 2011
    Yell County, Arkansas
    I have seen this and story says it was verified by Game and Fish as the new record. I just can not see it from the photo. Maybe it ate a 2 lbs weight. The fish photos in this post look to be much larger fish and what a 5 lb would look like.

8. billproxs

billproxs 12 pointer

Nov 1, 2009
    KENTUCKY LAKE
    This story is all over the internet, and several other forums. Many people are wondering about why the Crappie in the pictures looks so small.

I am wondering if a 5 pound Crappie was actually ever caught or not, could these photos be the wrong photos that were not supposed to be published? I still don't know yet.

But, if a 5 pound crappie was caught I would like to see the pictures.

http://www.agfc.com/Pages/newsDetails.aspx?show=245

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  9. LungBlood

LungBlood 12 pointer

Oct 31, 2010
    Florence
    No way that fish is 5 pounds.

10. Y Hunt

Y Hunt Fawn

Jan 19, 2011
    Yell County, Arkansas
    Well it is on the Arkansas Game and Fish web site and states new state record black crappie at 5 lbs even. I have had my hands on several in the 3 lbs range and it just don't look right to me.
    News Details
    All News Items

Black crappie may set more than state record
    Date 06/16/2011
    Description MENA – Thirty-five years is a long time for a state record to stand in the world of fishing. In Arkansas, three records have maintained that status longer than a 4-pound, 9-ounce black crappie caught by Danny Burfield of Ola, March 29, 1976.

Donivan Echols, 11, of Mena, raised the record in Arkansas – and perhaps in other parts of the world – to an even 5 pounds June 6 when he pulled a true slab from Lake Wilhelmina, an Arkansas Game and Fish Commission facility in Polk County.

Donivan had fate on his side.

“He had made $75 working for his grandparents,” said Richard Echols, Donivan’s father. “He went to Walmart the day before (the crappie was caught) and I think he spent all $75 on a rod, reel and fishing tackle. He bought a Mitchell flip cast reel and he was trying to learn how to use it. I guess he figured it out.”

Donivan – who was still 10 June 6 – his father and his uncle were crappie fishing using minnows that day. Donivan was catching progressively larger fish.

“We fish (Lake) Wilhelmina a lot,” Richard said. “His uncle was 2 feet from him on one side and I was 2 feet from him on the other. We weren’t catching anything, but Donivan was. I’ve never seen nothin’ like this in my life.”

They kept the fish alive for about two hours, and weighed it at Rocky Stop, a store and bait shop at Rocky on Arkansas Highway 8 where the trio purchased minnows earlier that day. It measured 18 inches long and had a 13-inch girth.

“It weighed 5 pounds, 1 ounce the first time we weighed it,” Richard said. “It took five hours to get hold of Ronnie (Richardson) so we froze the fish. It lost an ounce the second time we weighed it.

“Ronnie was grinning ear-to-ear. He was proud because it’s his lake.”

Richardson, manager of the AGFC’s Lake Wilhelmina Caged Fish Facility, identified the fish as a black crappie so it could be submitted as a state record. He said the lake, which covers about 200 acres and was created by a 1,240-foot dam in 1957, is known to have a healthy crappie population.

“It’s got some 3- and 4-pounders in it, and I guess it had a 5-pounder in it,” Richardson said.

Catching a 5-pound crappie is a tough act to follow, especially when the angler is 10, but Donivan has a plan.

“He wants to be a game warden and work with Arkansas Game and Fish,” Richard said. “He loves to talk to game wardens.”

His crappie may set records beyond Arkansas.

According to the International Game Fish Association, the all-tackle for black crappie is a 5-pound fish caught April 21, 2005, by John R. Horstman from a private lake in Missouri. The Fresh Water Fishing Hall of Fame and Museum recognizes a 6-pound fish caught Nov. 28, 1969, by Lettie Robertson from Westwego Canal in Louisiana.

The 12-pound line-class record for both organizations is a 4-pound, 4-ounce fish caught by Sheril Harris, March 18, 1984, on Paint Creek in Alabama.

By the way, the IGFA record on 4-pound line is 4 pounds, 4 ounces, caught in Lake Wedington (Washington County) by Jack Ferguson Dec. 26, 1982.

“I didn’t know this was such a big deal – I mean, it’s a fish!” Richard said. “That boy is walkin’ around in tall cotton.”

Photo courtesy of Rocky Stop.

11. justwannafish

justwannafish 6 pointer

Mar 26, 2009
    louisville, ky
    I thought photos were supposed to make you look fatter, or at least that's what i say. No way that fish is 5 lbs by the looks of the picture. I was fishing at rough river the other day, and was talking to a guy at the ramp who said back in the day he would catch several 18" crappie. I humored him, but i was thinking he caught alot of world records. I don't know if he was meaning 14 inch fish, which are still huge, and got confused, or was just full of sh--. I went along listening to his stories, but i'm sure i didn't keep too straight of a face.

12. Bigbuckdown18

Bigbuckdown18 Fawn

Jun 9, 2011
    How much did they have to pay to get all that publicity for a fake record?

13. Rat

Rat 6 pointer

Oct 9, 2006
    USA
    His story could be very true. I've personally caught one 17 inches and had a cousin catch a few closer to 18 inches that weighed in at around 3 pounds. Were males and not fat at all. He could have been pulling your leg, but he might not have been. Hard to imagine Crappie being that large until you see it for yourself but they do get that big.

As far as the picture is concerned, it is very hard to see that as being a 5 pounder.

14. uplandchessies

uplandchessies 10 pointer

Mar 20, 2002
    Florence, Ky, USA.
    The Cincinnati Boat and Outdoors Show use to have mounts of both a black and white crappie each over 5 pounds (from a lake in Georgia or Alabama) that could eat that one.

15. justwannafish

justwannafish 6 pointer

Mar 26, 2009
    louisville, ky

I guess you're right. He was honest about some embarrasing boat stories he told me, so why not good fish tales. He was pretty old, been fishing for a long time, so i guess he could have ran into some that big. I've never seen them that big, but i'm sure they are out there. They might have been more plentiful back then before the lake got more pressured.