New 870 Youth

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by ky.longbeard, Feb 11, 2017.

1. ky.longbeard

ky.longbeard 10 pointer

May 15, 2010
    Just bought the grandson a new 20ga. 870 Youth Express with a 21" barrel. It has a modified choke in it. We have shot the gun and he really likes it. I did change the recoil pad and put a Sims air-tech on it and it makes a world of difference.I haven't patterned it yet we just shot some bottles of water and I know I will probably have to buy a new choke for him to turkey hunt.Any suggestions would be helpful.I don't believe since this will be his first year turkey hunting I should get one real tight,because he will probably be a little nervous . What choke do you guys have any experience with on a 20 ga.?

2. Tufrthnails

Tufrthnails 8 pointer

Oct 27, 2014
    Lakeland, FL
    Good choice on the shotty. My wife has the same shotgun and loves it. I can't help you on the choke as I have never removed the modified from hers it hold a nice 6" pattern at 30 yards and the is the furthest she shoots it. My favorite chokes are Indian Creek. That is all I run in my Mossberg 835.

3. ky.longbeard

ky.longbeard 10 pointer

May 15, 2010
    I may not have to change it . Gonna take it out this coming week and pattern it.I agree it's a sweet shooting little gun.He probably doesn't need to shoot past 35 yds.

4. Rodeo man

Rodeo man 8 pointer

Aug 31, 2011
    I have the same setup for my kids, and shoot the modified choke. Try some shells with flight control wads. Some of them shoot the same through every choke.

5. PHILIPRILEY16

PHILIPRILEY16 6 pointer

Nov 7, 2009
    I shoot one with 3 inch heavy 7 shot federal stimulus out of ssx choke deadly combo and a lot better than packing my 835 anymore

6. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    The kids shoot 20 gauge mag blend shells, but we are waiting on some of the new 20 gauge Winchester Longbeards to test. If they do as well as the 12 gauge version, it might save us some money. I went factory full for the first year or two the kids hunted. I like to get them in close and a softball sized pattern of a super tight turkey tube makes it easy for an excited kid to miss.

7. dirthole

dirthole 8 pointer

Feb 8, 2013
    Kentucky
    My son has a 20 gauge mossberg and we have a Hastings choke in it. The Hastings choke seems to perform really good and has a great pattern.

8. HuntsItAll

HuntsItAll 6 pointer

Jan 23, 2009
    A hunters paradise
    My daughters have been shooting the 870 youth model for about 6yrs now. We shoot the hevi shot mag blend through a Primos tight wad. Its a deadly combo. We mainly hunt from a blind. When the bird gets within 35-40yrds, we have had great success!!

9. Mainbeam

Mainbeam 12 pointer

Jul 7, 2012
    Swarm choke tube for a 20 gauge. NASTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. bondhu

bondhu 6 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    A jellyhead choke will pull in some of those straggler pellets and not tighten it down to much.Also on the cheap

11. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Probably a good idea to use full that came with it. Shoot longbeard 5's and 6's to see which patterns better. Be good to 35 yards easy. Good luck.

12. Velvet ears

Velvet ears 6 pointer

Nov 6, 2013
    West KY
    Kicks Gobbling Thunder choke is what I put in my son's 20 gauge. Tom was at 20 yards last spring and he laid him out. Didn't even flop.

13. Meatstick

Meatstick 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Nelson County
    Keep birds within 30 yards and just focus on the kid. At that range almost anything will work as long as the pattern is on the top half of the bird

14. 257Wmag

257Wmag Spike

Oct 7, 2015
    NC
    If you can find some of the federal heavyweights with the flight control wads they will probably shoot with the M choke tube, they do well with less constriction. If you can't find them or they don't shoot I'd get a Indian Creek or hevi-13 choke tube and shoot the mag blends. Good luck!